My ongoing list

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:54 am

44) Okay, just wanna know if I miss something about the hotspots - Is there any better way to set them to the same coordinates for all frames? If my Attackcycle has different sprite dimensions (because the sword makes the whole sprite larger) than my runcycle and I need to adjust the hotspot of one animation cycle to the other (so that I don't get jerky movements when I start running after I attacked), how am I doing that? Do I really have to go into every single animation frame of the cycle that I want to adjust and manually, by hand (using the arrow keys on the keyboard) match them up?

Cause that'd be quite terrible. For detailed animations, that could take me HOURS - when all I want to do is to save the hotspot coordinations of one animation cycle and copy them to the next. Or save the hotspot coordinations from one frame and copy it to the other. Especially since I can't playback the animation in the sprite editor.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:03 pm

I find the best way to do it is to create all the animation frames the same size originally, so when they import, you can alt-click which sets the point on all the frames to the same spot. Then you alt-click crop.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 01, 2009 5:21 pm

46) Just a little thing:

I just tried to solve an 'an unexpected error' occurred issue for 30 minutes, until I figured out that Construct crashes before the start of the runtime because I had an event that set my player sprite automatically to the layer "Base" and the new layout I just added did have that spawner in it, but no "Base" layer yet.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 01, 2009 9:56 pm

That's a bug that needs reporting to the tracker.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 07, 2009 7:05 am

47) It'd be cool if there'd be an 'opacity' value under the parameters of each effect, so we could set the strength of each effect individually, just like in Photoshop or any other comp package.

48) Is there a smart way to create a timer that can be accessed after it's started? i'm currently working on the combo system and I figured the smartest way to do it would to add a timer when the attack key is pressed and the animation plays until the 'attacking' gv is set back to 0 (which determines whether the player can hit the enemy or not).

So if I hit 'Attack' once, it'll start the timer (which is set to 600ms) and play the animation of the first part of the combo. Then, while the first combo is still playing, I hit attack again, the timer resets to 600ms again and the second part of the animation is being played, etc.

After the fourth combo, even if you hit Attack again the timer won't be restarted, the fourth animation completes and after 600ms, the attacking gv will be set back to 0.

Makes sense? Right now, the problem is that I don't have access to the timer once it started. So it'd be cool if I could define a timer entity and reset the value to its default or another value again.

49) Being able to deactivate individual controls would be enormously helpful. Say I want to deactivate only the players movement while the combo plays - only the arrow keys, but the player can still jump 'n stuff - so I'd just add a couple of 'deactivate control' actions while the combo is being played.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 07, 2009 7:40 am

47: the meaning of 'opacity' depends on the effect. As they are plugins, each should implement it by itself. Effects developers: more options!

48: you're much better off doing a state machine. See flags below, only set the current state in a number, add the number as a condition to the events that can only happen in the current state. Change said state within the event.
49: use flags. 1 to enable, 0 to disable.
+On control "left"
+global('movementEnabled) equals 1
do stuff
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 07, 2009 7:52 am

[quote="Madster":29yhjtap]48: you're much better off doing a state machine. See flags below, only set the current state in a number, add the number as a condition to the events that can only happen in the current state. Change said state within the event.
[/quote:29yhjtap]

Well, that's exactly what I'm doing, I just tried to simplify the whole thing to make my point about timers clear. That it'd be really cool if we could create a timer and access and reset that specific timer after it's been created and run.

The timer is necessary for a couple of things, mainly setting back gvs that then trigger actions again. I just wanna be able to extend the timers time after it's been created.

[quote:29yhjtap]49: use flags. 1 to enable, 0 to disable.
+On control "left"
+global('movementEnabled) equals 1
do stuff[/quote:29yhjtap]

Ah, that's clever, yeah. Still, it'd be nice being able to have actions where we could deactivate keys until they're being activated again. Your solution will work, but it'll also mean that the 'movementEnabled' condition will have to be queued for every single control event.

And if I only want to deactivate a specific button at a specific moment, I'll have to create a gv just for this one action, which is sorta inefficient.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 07, 2009 7:59 am

50) Add Post Processing Filters 'on top'.

That'd be a cool thing to have. Like, during compositing, it's often helpful to add that last effect to your composition to give it that last little edge - like, a sharpen filter on top of everything to make the details come out.

It'd be cool if we could have a layer that's put on top of the whole render and is being applied to everything in the scene during runtime. We'd still have to be able to specify where the post processing effects are active and where they should be inactive (like, you wouldn't need them in menus and stuff), but that'd be a great addition.

51) Add 'Opacity' to the Sine Behavior. The Sine Behavior fucking rocks, it can really add a shit load of believability to assets that aren't even animated. But it'd be cool if we could also affect the opacity of sprites with the sine.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 07, 2009 8:10 am

[quote="thomasmahler":1re4t7ai]50) Add Post Processing Filters 'on top'.
That'd be a cool thing to have. Like, during compositing, it's often helpful to add that last effect to your composition to give it that last little edge - like, a sharpen filter on top of everything to make the details come out.[/quote:1re4t7ai]
Seconded sorta.
In DX and GL this is done with a fullscreen square with a special shader. In Construct you'd have a fullscreen empty sprite with an effect. Then again, the effects wouldn't have access to the layers below.
One COULD write an effect that did offscreen render, so that one would put it on each layer and you could use that data in the layer on top, assuming painter's algorithm for layers.
The great thing about Construct's design is that you can "hit the ground running" with your game and with a little extra work you can make it do exactly what you want to.

Then again, I don't know much about shaders. Halp?
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 07, 2009 8:11 am

Umm... layer effect? Select the layer and you can add an effect in its properties.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion