My pixel art game looks bad on mobile, why?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
Mobile Game
$24.99 USD
Mobile Game gives you sounds that you can quickly implement inside any game to give it a familiar “hit app” game feel.
  • Why my game looks so bad?, it seems as if it was scaled in a very wrong way, when I run it on my 800x480 mobile phone. It scales down my pixel art and ruins it.

The resolution it was designed in is 480x320. With fullscreen in browser set to scale outer, sampling to point, pixel rounding on, it's supossed that those are the best setting for pixel art, but for some reason the scaling ruins it in mobile devices, why is that?.

I took some screenshots so you can see what I mean:

With adress bar:

Without adress bar:

Should look pixel perfect like this:

• Did you turn off the pixel rounding?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks, Pixel rounding is set to on, but if I set it to off, pixels will be drawn between pixels, so it will show some kind of antialiasing, wich will make things look a bit blurry, am I wrong?.

• Nope you are right, just turn it off and you should be fine,

• I don't think you can get a really clean look in many circumstances using pixel art without integer scaling. Arbitrary scaling will eventually mess a lot with the shape of lower resolution art.

Try using letterbox integer scale, it will likely look much better - with black bars. You could attempt to design your game with manual integer scaling and take into account that more of the layout might be visible. Probably the best course of action.

• I turned off pixel rounding and it does not fix the problem. Thank for the suggestion anyway.

Thanks for the help pixelrebirth, I understand the effect with integer scale, but it the black bars cover a lot of space, at least if I use the default option on the project settings, but what do you mean by manual integer scaling? how do I do that?.

Is there no other way for good pixel art on mobiles made with construct?.

• Just tested it with integer scale and the effect is much worse on my mobile phone...

• Just tested it with integer scale and the effect is much worse on my mobile phone...

How do you mean much worse? At least the pixel art itself should look proper. Care to elaborate?

By manual scaling I was referring to disabling fullscreen and using the ability to change the canvas size and layout scale with events.

• Sure, by much worse I mean that with integer scale the game screen looks much smaller that with scale outer, so the pixel art looses even more pixels in my mobile phone.

I see, I'm going to investigate about that, thanks for the ideas.

• only way to have it pixel perfect (original resolution) is not use scaling

have you tried how it looks with fullscreen cropmode? you could add grass for empty space, or a scrollmode for lower resolution screens

adding on that, you could test then how a layoutscale of 2* looks

other than that integer scale should be the best option

• Sure, by much worse I mean that with integer scale the game screen looks much smaller that with scale outer, so the pixel art looses even more pixels in my mobile phone.

I see, I'm going to investigate about that, thanks for the ideas.

I see. Well, you said your phone has a resolution of 800*480, while your game is designed at 480*320.

This means your mobile screen cannot fit a scale of 2 for your game, since that would require 960*640 or higher. So your game would stay at a scale of 1 using integer scale I believe. Which would look rather small indeed on a 800*480 screen.

In this case you could still use a scale of 2, but make the level area scrollable, so it can actually all be seen by the player. The other options really only are to have it rest at regular scale, resulting in a game area too small or to use non-integer scaling, which will mess up the pixels.

• how bad will it be to make the graphics bigger and scale down instead of up? (i mean in memory and performance).

will be the same problem to scale it down or will be better?

and... if the screen is 800*480 its posible to do that in a 400 x 240 base and scale up?.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)