My sample RPG test run

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:30 pm

So I've made the first map of my RPG made in construct. Its already in .EXE by the way.
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?ilcwihnmmze

I kinda lags in my PC, kindly comment on it. If you encounter any probs, pls uhh help me improve it.

Anyway, all you can do in that game is simply walk around like a zombie in that ghost town.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:39 pm

Im downloading now but atleast I can say that its pretty big :D
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Its big because of........the images(map objects). This RPG will most likely be big because of images.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:28 pm

Yikes! Please don't tell me that your map is one huge image :(

How do you have your map tiles set up? I'd like to see your tiles.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:09 am

Not really, the map is made up of small objects, well the "ground" part of the map was once actually one big image, but i split it into 29 small parts and just sticked them together in Construct.

Well heres my cap: http://www.mediafire.com/?hywqnuy2dli
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:23 am

it lags and then crashes after walking around :s too big perhaps?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:02 pm

Yeah probably, but I need the layout to be big since I need NPCs to travel between maps. Anyway, is there a way for it to lag less?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:38 pm

It didn't lag much for me, but did crash several times.

I still don't understand your insistence on big layouts. What happens when you want to enter a house with your NPCs? Wont you need to place your characters in a house layout at that point? Or will all action happen outside? If you plan on creating a house in the same layout (but just way off screen and setting the players position there) then the lag problem will probably get worse.

Also, for the size of the layout 27MB seems extra big. Perhaps the resolution is too high on the graphics or maybe that's just how big these games get nowdays. Still the layout itself wasn't really all that big (most of it is black) so I'm not sure the problem.

I really think you should try splitting your layouts into smaller ones and then just respawing the players into the new layout.. yeah it is alot more work but you wont deal with lag issues (due to large graphics) because each layout will stay small.

I did find something that may or may not be causing your problems. You have some really messy else logic in your player movement event sheet. You could clean all of that up with just a couple events.

... did some more testing.. When I click off the map there is a whole bunch of lag with the movement.... Maybe there is some issue with the RTS behavior and the lag? Just throwing out crazy ideas.

EDIT... I changed the load textures from "application start" to "per layout" and it eliminated any lag for me. There still is the weird movement problem where you click on an area the player can't move to.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:46 am

Big as in the whole map is one bigass image split into parts.

You should use repeating patterns such as roads, fences and houses as objects, then do the map using that.

No game is a painting.

Okay so there's Baldur's gate. But even then, they loaded and UNLOADED when moving from location to location. Maybe that's what you want? load different images over a background sprite, dropping the previous one when its not needed anymore?

Many of the problems I see that crash Construct are due to not understanding that computers have finite resources. You have to learn to work within those limits.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:18 am

[quote="TheJanMan":3ck8ga0n]Not really, the map is made up of small objects, well the "ground" part of the map was once actually one big image, but i split it into 29 small parts and just sticked them together in Construct.

Well heres my cap: http://www.mediafire.com/?hywqnuy2dli[/quote:3ck8ga0n]

[quote="TheJanMan":3ck8ga0n]Yeah probably, but I need the layout to be big since I need NPCs to travel between maps. Anyway, is there a way for it to lag less?[/quote:3ck8ga0n]

:shock: WHOA :shock:

What are you doing? You're going about this the entirely wrong way. You need some Game Design 101 help here.

Look at this:

http://i45.tinypic.com/25psieh.png

That thing is ONE SPRITE. Jesus, man! You just can't do that. NO GAME on the planet does that. And that's just one part of your map... there's stuff like that all over the place.

You need a tile set. Games are made up of small, individual tiles. Each of those trees in that one sprite should be separate instances of one tree. (In fact, the top of the tree should probably be separate from the bottom so you can walk underneath the leaves.) Anyway, if you need trees, you copy and paste your tree sprite where you need it... you don't make one huge image with fifteen trees in it. It's going to suck up VRAM like crazy if you do.

You want rocks and bushes and grass and dirt and all that? You have a single rock sprite, a single bush sprite, a single dirt tile, and you copy/paste as necessary. For large areas of dirt, you can make a small, repeating texture out of a Tiled Background object and stretch it to the size you need.

Even your houses are pretty much wrong. Yes, even the houses in games are made up of pieces... you put them together like a puzzle when you make your map. Lots of small pieces. Believe it or not, it's WAY more efficient than having a few huge pieces.

What you need is something like this:

http://i48.tinypic.com/156ab77.jpg

Those tiles are each no bigger than 32x32 pixels. You cut them out and make Tiled Background or Sprite images with them. And with that, you can put the pieces together and create large, complex images like this in your layout by copy/pasting the pieces:

http://i49.tinypic.com/fdd4e8.jpg

As for having your NPCs go from map to map... go ahead! Have them walk from map to map! You can do it, it's entirely possible for you to have a sprite character "leave" the map. It would be complex, but you could set up each character's location information in a global Hash Table object. When a character "enters" another map, destroy the sprite. If the player then "enters" that map, then when you start the layout you check the hash table, and any NPCs that have that map listed as their location get created.

You could even have them "walk into" the current map by giving them each a timer trigger in their hash table entry... when the timer triggers, spawn the NPC on the map at the door where they should be appearing. Then update their timer and give them a new location to which map they should be on when the timer runs out.

It sounds complicated, I know... but it could be done if you're willing to put in the work. And if you're going to make an RPG with such advanced features as having NPCs walk from map to map then you SHOULD be willing to put in that work. Otherwise, it will never get done.

But my advice would be to try tackling a smaller project with goals that aren't set quite so high first... it seems to me that you need to get some practice at making games before you can go after something huge like an RPG.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic