My Scirra Store income report August 2017

0 favourites
  • Hey Construct Community!

I'm a fulltime Construct 2/3 developer, that's what I do for a living. Last few months I focused on making C2 and C3 addons, some free and some paid.

Today I'd like to share my Scirra Store income with you and I have several reasons to do so.

First things first, let's see the report.

As you see on the report in August I've earned 234.74 GBP. That's obviously not an amount you can live from for the entire month but that's surely an amount that keeps me motivated to keep on providing new addons to Construct Community and support existing addons.

From this place I'd like to say big THANK YOU to everyone who supported me and bought my plugins so far.

I try to not be deaf for your needs and provide solutions to your problems. Therefore I made such plugins like MM_Unloader (unloads texture from memory on demand) or MM_Preloader (preload textutes/layout preloader) which were requested on the forum many times throughout several years.

It's really a good feeling to be rewarded for the hard work both with some extra $ and seeing that people solve their problems with my plugins.

If it happens that my income will keep on rising every month (as it does so far), then maybe I'll be able to focus fulltime on providing various addons, who knows! Would be awesome

Alright. Why I shared my income details here at all?

I'd like to call out all you talented JS developers out there to make awesome addons and fill the Scirra Store!

I trully believe that paid plugins can seriously benefit the entire Construct Community and here are my points:

• JS developer earn some money - It's absolutely fair to be rewarded for your knowledge and hard work
    • Scirra earns a fee per sale - Fair again as they provide the store, the market, the tool, etc.
    • JS devs are rewarded and so are motivated to support their products and make new ones
    • C2/3 developers have tons of useful addons, which are supported by active JS developers
    • Other JS devs follow and build more tools

The more paid plugins >>> the more serious JS devs >>> the more possibilities for C2/3 devs >>> the more serious C2/3 devs >>> the more good games released with C2/3 >>> the more fame to C2/3 >>> the more money for Scirra >>> the more everything for everyone.

Please note that I am not saying that free plugins are bad. I have released free plugins myself as well. All I'm saying is that if there would be some balance of free/paid plugins, it may have a serious positive impact to all of us.

Also please note that I am not encouraging JS devs to make their free plugins paid now. But I encourage them to think of "What plugin would I do if I get paid for that?", then make it and put to store. Let people reward you, let people make awesome games with your plugins.

I hope my income report will encourage JS devs to make some new great addons.

Thanks guys!

• Nice post!

• Nice work, this is pretty encouraging to see!

• Yeah, but, what about people using paid third party plugs, and selling them as part of templates, or games?

• Any Tax implications (uk)?

• Yeah, but, what about people using paid third party plugs, and selling them as part of templates, or games?

Not sure how this refers to my post but still, if you notice such thing you should report to Scirra support ASAP. It's obviously not legal.

• Any Tax implications (uk)?

The amount from the report is after Scirra fee, Paypal fee and some UK tax. I'm not sure what tax is it but it's something that Scirra is obligated to pay IIRC. You are still obligated to pay the income tax in your country according to your local law.

Maybe you don't have to pay it if you're in UK as Scirra pays some UK tax there. I don't know as I'm not from UK, Tom will know more details I guess?

• > Yeah, but, what about people using paid third party plugs, and selling them as part of templates, or games?

>

Not sure how this refers to my post but still, if you notice such thing you should report to Scirra support ASAP. It's obviously not legal.

Well that's just it, selling a template that uses the plug, but not including the addon is legal.

I don't think there's any verbiage in the agreement that talks about that.

It's a complication that needs to be figured out, especially if a lot more people start addon development, and sales.

• Well that's just it, selling a template that uses the plug, but not including the addon is legal.

I don't think there's any verbiage in the agreement that talks about that.

It's a complication that needs to be figured out, especially if a lot more people start addon development, and sales.

I don't see any problem here TBH. If you as a seller make a template using paid plugin then you basically make it only for people who own this plugin and you have to clearly state it in the description. The plugin license is basically required.

Would be awesome if Scirra made dependency feature in Scirra store, that would just combine two items (template and the plugin) in the background, but I'm pretty sure it's the last thing they think of now.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Would be awesome if Scirra made dependency feature in Scirra store, that would just combine two items (template and the plugin) in the background, but I'm pretty sure it's the last thing they think of now.

Easiest way of achieving this would be via bundles, I suppose... bundling the template together with the plugins

• I think it's important to mention that you are usually only left with 50% of your revenue. The store fees on each sale are not sellers friendly !

• Bom dia.

Não comercializo ainda, nem sei se vou, meu interesse em criação de jogos por enquanto é Hobbie, mas já adquiri alguns produtos na loja Scirra e acredito que é um trabalho importante. Espero que continuem com este trabalho, se gratuito atenderá um maior volume de usuários, e se pago vai depender da necessidade de cada um.

Obrigado por seus trabalhos.

• BackendFreak, would you get a plugin that handles a spreadsheet (xls or xlsx), importing and exporting data from it to (Construct 2 or 3), and generating print report?

It would be for a job I have in mind ...

• BackendFreak, would you get a plugin that handles a spreadsheet (xls or xlsx), importing and exporting data from it to (Construct 2 or 3), and generating print report?

It would be for a job I have in mind ...

I'm adding this onto my TODO list, though I have quite a lot in queue at the moment so this won't be done in the near future I'm afraid. In a meantime you may want to check Rex's CSV related plugins.

• I think it's important to mention that you are usually only left with 50% of your revenue. The store fees on each sale are not sellers friendly !

The amounts in the report are after Scirra's cut. But that's true, in the end the developer receives something around 50% of the price the user pays in shop. There are various costs: Scirra fee, currency exchange cost, VAT, local income tax... all that is indeed around 50%, sometimes even more.

I don't think it differs from other markets tho? I know Itch.io can let you decide the fee you give but that's the only exception I guess. The currency exchange cost is the only one additional in comparison to other shops I guess.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)