My Sidescroller

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:49 pm

It jerks around probably too much to play on my old PC (even without motion blur). PC is an AMD Athlon 3200+, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 1 gig RAM.

Maybe you should make a fullscreen demo, though - that often makes a lot of difference. Windows treats fullscreen apps so much better. :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:43 pm

Both versions work as smoothly here.

3gb of RAM.
8800GT 512mb
AMD X2 5200+
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:53 pm

I'm really surprised people are getting slowdown....if you dont mind me asking how is your scene being rendered ? Are there any pixel shaders? It looks beautiful btw!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:51 pm

No Pixel Shaders. Every scene element is just a png image at its source, so it's the image with an alpha channel - all of that put together in the scene. And some of the elements are quite large (the format of the project is 720p), which is probably why things slow down.

The idea is simply that I can basically concept and design everything in Photoshop and then quickly put all the layers into seperate png files and layout them again in Construct.

I haven't yet created tiled grass and so on for the ground, so the grass patches are 3-4 grass 'chunks'.

The motion blur version is the same thing but moBlur added in the global project properties. Nothing else, nothing fancy - but I really like the moBlur effect with that design, it gives it a sorta dreamy look.

Have you guys tried both layouts? You can use the tab key to switch between layouts, the second one has scrolling in it - a good way to test if the scene slows down.

Oh, btw, is there a way to check how much fps we get for the runtime? That'd be helpful for debugging and making sure that the thing runs even on older hardware.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:51 pm

[quote="thomasmahler":2x2tkw8g]Oh, btw, is there a way to check how much fps we get for the runtime? That'd be helpful for debugging and making sure that the thing runs even on older hardware.[/quote:2x2tkw8g]
Enable 'FPS in caption' in Application Properties. However, exported EXEs won't put the FPS in the caption, only the preview. You'll need to show FPS in-game for other people to know their FPS, or use a program like FRAPS to tell you.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:55 pm

secend layout ( bigger one) is working slow on my laptop. first one is all right.
my specs:
geforce7300go 256 mb, centrino duo 1.8ghz, 2 gb ram, win xp
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:09 pm

Hey guys,

Small update, didn't have much time. I think moBlur is on in this compile and there should also be music in there now. Man, can't wait til we're able to organize the resources more properly.

The camera system is also changed.

http://www.thomasmahler.com/files/corrupted_01.rar

(careful, it's like over 20 mb with the music and it's set to full-screen 720p)

@Ashley: Full-Screen works if I set it to my LCD TV, but not on my main monitor. It supports 720p, but it tries to switch the resolution and then crashes.

Controls are the same as ever. Run around with the arrow keys and jump with Z. Up for talking to... boxes :D

I currently spend more time with pre-production, design and stuff instead of building it, which is good I guess. But it's a lot of fun to see things building up that way. I love the whole workflow, I can draw the stuff directly on my tablet pc in the native res, send it over to the workstation and rebuild everything in Construct.

Would be cool if you guys could tell me whether or not it runs better now, using full-screen and 5x moBlur.

@devs: Btw, when moBlur is on, a lot of the transitions won't work anymore.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:13 pm

Can you guys do me a favor and try this one out?

http://www.thomasmahler.com/files/corrupted_01.rar

I've gotta find out whether I'm the only one who has trouble with full-screen, if it's Windows 7 or just monitors that don't support 720p natively. The funny thing is that full-screen works if I plug my LCD TV in, but for my standard PC monitor it'll try to switch to full-screen and crash. The funny thing is: I just bought World of Goo over Steam and if I try to start it, it starts out in full-screen which also results in a crash.

20mb again. Still gotta optimize it and do the music stuff externally. Shvillers and Ashleys new alphatesting thingy should really help for this project :)

This is still the same prototype, for the most part. I just added a debug screen to test some more framework stuff, so you can now set it to full-screen and set the moBlur on and off for yourself.

The actual game has gone through such huge changes both on paper and in terms of concepts that I'll just rebuild this whole thing now, shouldn't take too long.

Controls: Esc to exit, arrow keys to run around, up to talk to boxes, enter to pause, z to jump.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:20 pm

@devs: We tried it on the chat.

Fullscreen crashes if your screen doesn't support 720p native. You click it, it crashes.

Also, the Windows Buttons don't work in fullscreen. If you happen to have a display that supports 720p native and you go fullscreen, the buttons will be hidden and they only flicker if you mouse-over them.

I'll put that on the tracker in a bit.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:00 am

I tried:

normal size
normal size w/ blur
full screen
full screen w/ blur

Everything is working fine except for what you mentioned about the flicker on fullscreens.

Running:
Ati 4850 512mb
C2D 3.0ghz
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations