My TIGSource competition entry: This Cursed Rock

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:28 pm

[quote="deadeye":like810r]I just played the third Construct entry in competition. Afterlife Consequences.

It's pretty bad. Even the creators admit that it's pretty bad. The person in charge of making the game apparently decided to start using Construct at the beginning of the competition, so he had no idea what he was doing. The results definitely reflect this fact.

What makes me a little sad is how he's constantly bagging on Construct the whole time, like it's Construct's fault he's made a bad game. He also states that Construct is just an "insane wall of bugs." He only mentions a couple of bugs in the thread, only one of which he posted about here in the Help forum, which was already a known issue and he actually found a fix for it anyway (the other is the IDE crashing when editing sprites... sounds like a hardware issue to me). The rest is just design issues... he's complaining about animation and hitbox problems that aren't actually bugs and are easily remedied, and all he had to do was ask. Hell, he didn't even have to ask... there are plenty of threads that talk about hitboxes and animation already.

Sigh. When scytos mentioned there was a third Construct entry, I had some higher hopes for it than this. Oh well.[/quote:like810r]

Well.. I don't really mind that he calls Construct buggy, he did encounter an annoying bug. What would be better is transferring the criticism into bug reports - which he has done with one bug, and it got fixed. Hopefully with more of these reports we can change Construct from an 'insane wall of bugs' into a rose scented stallion.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:52 pm

Deadeye

Would you mind if I used some of those ideas for the Ai I am currently working on?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:59 pm

[quote="Rich":2c8jiz5c]Well.. I don't really mind that he calls Construct buggy, he did encounter an annoying bug.[/quote:2c8jiz5c]

Saying it's buggy is one thing, but the whole tone of his thread is "Sorry my game is so bad, it's Construct's fault for being a 'total piece.'" It's hardly fair to blame Construct, especially when most of his issues are either just design flaws or known bugs that have easy workarounds.

Ah, well. I did have a rather wordy reply to his latest post on there but I decided to just drop it. I'll let Construct speak for itself when it comes out.

@Aeal5566: Sure, man... go for it. I'd like to see what you can cook up. If I post some code it's free for use. Just not my graphics :P
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:01 pm

Okay np I wont take graphics just code. Its not cool to steal graphics...

Great entry, I loved your game. Once I get more proficient with construct coding I think I may try to enter on of their compos.

I looked at that thread on TGI it was unfair of that guy to blame construct I completely agree. I mean using it to make a basic platformer seems easy but then when you get to things like AI and that stuff its not so easy especially with some of the strange bugs that do pop up every once in a while but they are usually easy to devise a work around with some questions and brain power.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:34 pm

Deadeye, I think Scytos might have stopped checking this thread, could you get him to check out this file? http://www.scirra.com/files/xaudio2test.zip
Hopefully it'll shed some light on the XAudio2 problem (I really want to fix it).

As for someone somewhere moaning about the bugs in Construct, it might have its bugs, being a beta, but it's also free, so I'd rather people like that used it and submitted useful bug reports, or just never used it at all. What does he want, his money back?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:57 pm

[quote="Ashley":10abrgcd]Deadeye, I think Scytos might have stopped checking this thread[/quote:10abrgcd]

No, I'm here, sorry it took me a while to post, I wanted to try updating my chipset/video drivers too before I posted (my sound card is onboard), which didn't work. I was just about to start writing when you posted that message.

[quote="Ashley":10abrgcd]Scytos, can you try running this?

http://www.scirra.com/files/xaudio2test.zip

Let me know what messages appear - it's got a prompt at every stage of the initialisation process. Hopefully it'll be able to tell us exactly where things are going wrong for you.[/quote:10abrgcd]

Ugh. I'm not sure the result is helpful - it went through every stage without a problem, then a generic Windows error happened at the end. That is,

Beginning initialisation
Creating XAudio2
Creating volume meter
Creating mastering voice
Getting device details
Setting master volume
Done!

then one of those generic "has encountered a problem and needs to close" Windows errors. Details say the error is in xaudio2_2.dll, which I guess is somewhat expected. Funny thing is, deleting that file makes the game run - without sound, but it runs (although it might break on sound triggered events, I don't know). Deleting that file and reinstalling DirectX doesn't fix it, either.

I appreciate all the trouble, by the way.
B
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Okay, I PM'd him.

Edit:
Ah, you sneaky son of a... :P
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Hmm, that's annoying - all of my code succeeds, then no more XAudio2 calls are made, and XAudio2 crashes in its own code. I'm guessing that it must be a bug in XAudio2, or your sound hardware/drivers. Do you know precisely what sound chipset/card you have? Or the motherboard if its built-in? I think I'll have to go to Microsoft over this one...
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:19 pm

My sound card is ADI AD1986A SoundMAX according to my motherboard manual (motherboard is ASUS P5NSLI).
B
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:43 pm

Oh, hey, I just found out I'm not the only one. Back at TIG, agj posted the following:

[quote="agj at TIGSource forums":u7jc3wa1]Yeah, my mom's computer gets the same error, very strange. Maybe it's a video card thing. It really is too bad.[/quote:u7jc3wa1]

Although that error can be something totally different from what I'm having. In my opinion, that error should say more even in the user version, because it helps you figure out what's going on when someone has access only to the executable file.
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations