My Xbox360 repaired itself??

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
  • After leaving my old xbox 360 lying around in it's box (RROD, waranty expired) i thought i had to hook it up to my lcd screen and see if the Red rings of death was still there.To my surprise it worked!! wtf how is this even possible??.It still gives the occasional RROD but when i switch it off and on again then it works again.I played for 2 solid hours and not once did it freeze up on me.

Has anyone experienced this?.If a component fails then it usually stays broken.The new slim xbox 360 looks more stable than the old one though.Maybe i will buy a new one later on.Does anyone have the new slim xbox360 and is it more reliable than the old model??.

• Same thing happened to my bro's 360 a couple of days ago XD We were watching a movie a BEEP - checkerboard pattern on the screen and RROD. Fired it up the next day and it worked. I guess it lets you know something's overheated, but not necessarily fried. He has some fan attachment on it too..so much for that.

• Mine was constantly giving me an RROD.So i plugged it out,put it in it's box and now months later when i switched it on it worked .

Had my ps3 for 3 years now and had no problems with it so far (touch wood).One of my friends made a mod out of his old xbox360 (bought 2006) by putting it in a standard pc tower box with liquid cooling and his xbox360 is still running with no freezes rrods etc...

• Fully draining it's internal batteries or whatever might have helped

• I have had stuff like this happen to all sorts of electronic equipment.

Motherboards that were screwed, magically coming back to life. Hard drives with dead daughterboards, also returning from the grave.

It's weird... it's like they just need time to rest or something. It will eventually shit itself again though, so don't get too attached.

~Sol

• If it's overheating badly it might take several days to fully cool down if it's not in a ventilated space. So it might keep failing every day until you give up and put it in a box... a few months later it's cooled right back down again and will work - make sure you keep it cool though!

• [quote:17iupp8a]It's weird... it's like they just need time to rest or something. It will eventually s**t itself again though, so don't get too attached.

Yes

Ashley : Believe me , it's well ventilated.It's in an air conditioned room and the room temp's always at a low 19 degrees celcius.

One thing i noticed though,When i keep it on standby then i get the dreaded RROD ,But when i unplug the powerbrick and leave it off for 15mins then it works without any problems.Just before the RROD shows the 2 fans at the back sounds wierd it goes fast then slow then fast and slow and then i get the RROD.Maybe the fans aren't getting enough juice so then the poor old xbox360 stresses and throws out the RROD.

It's still working like a charm though.Been playing for 3 hours without any freezing or rrod's.

• The RROD is caused by the motherboard overheating and warping so that components touch. Very bad design by MS. There are cheap kits on Ebay that fix this by giving more room for the motherboard to breathe. I'd install it if I were you before it happens again and does real damage and you lose it for good.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well i disassembled my xbox360 and placed it into a modded pc towercase. It's got liquid cooling with extra fans which runs from an external power supply.Now it runs perfectly cool.I also decided to replace those dreaded xclamps which seemed to warp the mobo.

A big thank you to my friend who helped me with this.He had his xbox360 this way since 2006.Hopefully i can play xbox360 games again for some time.Well if it dies again then it will be no big loss because i love the PS3 more than xbox 360.

• If it's overheating badly it might take several days to fully cool down if it's not in a ventilated space. So it might keep failing every day until you give up and put it in a box... a few months later it's cooled right back down again and will work - make sure you keep it cool though!

I was under the impression though that computer hardware pretty much cools down to room temp in <10 mins though?

• I've got one laying around for months now. I've got to give it a go and see

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)