N/A

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:32 pm

:)
Last edited by Twinsonian on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S

Post » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:27 am

[QUOTE=Twinsonian]I personally loathe being on windows, and really want to be able to create games on my linux machine.
[/QUOTE]
You are dead to me. You understand? Dead.Stiivais2013-11-03 08:28:16
B
S

Post » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:35 am

Tried it, didn't really like it that much, but since I want only HTML5, and will never use linux in my entire life (I tried, but It is not for me, at all), Construct 2 is my favorite.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:12 am

SDK for plugins. C2 Check. In fact there are TONS of plugins/behaviours
Games export to Linux, OSX, Windows, HTML5. C2 Check
Debugger. C2 Check

C2 on Linux/OSX. No check
C2 is not free

looks good. Tell us how you do :)

C2 is better polished
C2 has large community
C2 has LOTS of user plugins. It's too bad not enough people give credit to use them.

B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:17 am

Look @Twinsonian, I always said I would change from construct2 to another program but I can't, I'm addicted to it, I can't do any game without C2.
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:24 am

Unfortunately you need cashflow to build/sustain/expand anything.

Donationware can never, ever compete. It usually fades away when life events come knocking.

What works best is pay a minimal amount over many, many months. A subscription model. You just have to look how all top companies are incorporating this - it works.
The downside, and this is why Construct 2 is a pay it all up front model is that their user base are mostly hobbyists, who treat this as a hobby (wanting to go pro) but as all hobby's they are just that, and take a backseat the moment some crisis comes up (which happens often). Average user I would guess is a couple months. I said average for you veterans :)

Edit: What I am getting at is when you invest in a tool set, it is nice to have some guarantee that it will be around for awhile, and if you do change, it is because you choose to, and not because you are forced too.
Profitable businesses, tend to stick around. Cashflow is king, that is business 101.DUTOIT2013-11-03 09:27:12
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:22 am

[QUOTE=Twinsonian]
In fact I would not be surprised if Microsoft buys it and converts it to some perverted new game development model.
[/QUOTE]

I don't see the reason why this would be a nightmare.
Ashley would be counting his (deserved) millions and we would have an entire development team backing this awesome piece of software.
B
S

Post » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi,
I do not know what is your experience with game development, but I can speak for my experience.

I'm working on a game, at the beginning I was doing my own engine in C++/OpenGL, was about 10% completed when I found the Construct 2, now my game is about 85% completed.

Why I chose the Construct 2, and not other tools like my own engine, Game Maker, Unity3D and others?

1 - The performance is excellent, my prototype is now 85% completed, runs at 60 fps on a notebook with 3 years old without graphic card.
2 - I could not develop for Mac, simply because I do not have one.
3 - The Construct 2 is much cheaper than these other options.
4 - Excellent support Scirra.

5 - Most importantly, control and freedom.
You are developing in Javascript, with SDK support, you can do whatever you want, and you can port your code for any platform you want, even if the Construct 2 does not support, with tools such as C++/Qt/QML, Awesomium, Node... among others.
It's even possible you port your game to platforms like Nvidia Shield/PS Vita/WiiU/PS4/XboxOne... tools for this exist ;D

I don't like to discuss which tool is best, you should use the tool that best suits your needs, but when I choose a tool I always take into consideration the freedom and my needs.

My need was for portability between different platforms, so for me the Construct 2 was the best choice, taking into consideration: portability/ development time/money.

Note: Sorry my English, I'm not fluent :D
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:19 pm

I've played a little with Game Develop out of curiosity. It looks and feels like an older version of Construct 2 ... Still is a great free software. Also is remarkable that is developed by only one person (Scirra is a team of 2-3 people). I was really curious about the 3D Box object, so as to create 3D Building for example, but it seems that it works only in native games (is not supported in web games).

Overall is great for a free software, but I prefer Construct 2 because is more advanced.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:17 pm

[QUOTE=Stiivais] [QUOTE=Twinsonian]I personally loathe being on windows, and really want to be able to create games on my linux machine.
[/QUOTE]
You are dead to me. You understand? Dead.[/QUOTE]

That's either the funniest thing I've ever read on here, or... the scariest.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General