Native Compiler (Alpha) Blog By Tom

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:31 pm

All this talk of fees and such are completely immature, wait til its a functional exporter first and foremost.

Also, all the best of luck, lots of us are looking forward to it.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:59 pm

Silverforce wrote:All this talk of fees and such are completely immature, wait til its a functional exporter first and foremost.

Also, all the best of luck, lots of us are looking forward to it.

I got ahead of myself. I apologise to everyone.

Consider my lesson learnt about speaking of the future.

Next week ill take a break from the forums and work on the now.

Thanks everyone for the great advice and support :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:28 pm

I'm going to close this thread because it's turned in to a proposal for a competing commercial product, which I don't think is appropriate to discuss on these forums. @tomsstudio and any other interested users should take this to another site.

I also really want to emphasise to any users who may be interested in this that the technical challenge is truly extraordinary; consider Ludei have ~20 employees and a great deal of funding and struggle with this, and they still get to work with a Javascript engine, so they do not have the additional responsibility of porting all our JS engine code to another language. We regularly change our engine code as well, and keeping up with our weekly updates is likely to be full time work in itself, let alone other development. We have been making complicated but compatible algorithmic optimisations to our engine for years now; if another engine does not implement them all to the same degree of quality, it will likely still be slower than our JS engine in many cases, and if they are done incorrectly, they will break games. Finally maintaining compatibility with all features in our engine amounts to writing a new browser engine comparable to Chromium, which means competing with the might of Google's vast engineering resources. If I thought we had any chance of doing this ourselves internally, we would already be doing it; any third party who decides to try this anyway will have the additional hurdle of lacking our internal knowledge of how the engine works. @tomsstudio, good luck, you will most certainly need it.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Tools and Resources