Native Desktop Exporter for Construct 3

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:48 pm

@Somebody Your spaceship example on dropbox gives me 60 always, on chrome. The loads of dot example was varying between 50 and 60, but once I clicked it went below 40, and then never could go back above 40 even thought i did nothing, and was varying between 30 and 40. Specs below
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:49 pm

I just ran renderperfgl and I have a few interesting results. Keep in mind I'm using dual monitors, so this may have some efect (or not):

First my specs:
Processor: Intel core i7 3820 @ 3.60GHz
Motherboard: Asus P9X79
Memory: 8x 8Gb Quad-channel DDR3 800 MHz (64Gb total)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
GPU Fillrate: 1.6GPixels/s
GPU Memory: 2Gb @ 8 Gb/s

results in webGL: 3100 objects @ 1920x1080
results in canvas2d: 3700 objects @ 1920x1080p

device: Samsung Galaxy Note II
results in webGL (via #ignore-gpu-blacklist): 12700 objects
results in canvas2d: 220 objects

So, yeah, two very weird things happening: first is that canvas2d outperforms webgl in my work computer (AKA desktop). Second is that my smartphone outperforms my desktop in webGL mode. I guess what this means is that my desktop's GPU is utter garbage.

Also, I wasn't expecting that much out of my 2.5 year old device. I don't get the complaints with performance at all, either I'm missing something or you're all running potatophones. <sarcasm> Or maybe the Galaxy Note II is a marvel reverse-engineered from future tech? </sarcasm>

Also @Somebody, can you recreate those tests in CC please? I'd love to run them side by side.
Last edited by Fimbul on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:52 pm

Somebody wrote:I made an exported version and added an fps counter (which should help as get a clearer picture. In my case it cannot top 30 fps in idle state (and it still "feels" a little jerky despite the numbers): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132 ... index.html

Firefox FPS with no movement: 11FPS
With movement: 9FPS

Chrome FPS with no movement: 42FPS
With movement: 18FPS

Tested fullscreen on a 1920x1080 display
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:59 pm

megatronx wrote:@Somebody Your spaceship example on dropbox gives me 60 always, on chrome. The loads of dot example was varying between 50 and 60, but once I clicked it went below 40, and then never could go back above 40 even thought i did nothing, and was varying between 30 and 40. Specs below

See, that weird fps cap thing again - I feel like Chrome does something to keep the fps "smooth" according to some inner logic - which, as mentioned isn't all that great for games.

@Jayjay - wow, you get worse results than I do. It'll probably wreck the Dual core system at home when I run it there.

Fimbul wrote:Also @Somebody, can you recreate those tests in CC please? I'd love to run them side by side.

Cannot do the Racetrack as that uses a custom shader I made for C2. Don't currently have CC on this system so if some volunteer is willing to - would be great - maybe it's all just sweet memories of CC's greatness.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:04 pm

IMO they should just scrap support for large projects and focus on small/midscale projects, and rapid prototyping.

Yeah get rid of large scale support :roll: Say goodbye to a good portion of your user base. Seems we are drawing a line in the sand. Mobile on one side and desktop on the other. (no hard feelings ;) )

I'm curious... How many of the games showcased on the front page are in fact Mobile games?
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:19 pm

I think the html5 is the right way for the new construct3, because in the future, performance and the technology will be bettere than now...I remember when I start to use this software... and I see the difference...

A native export would be awesome, but if they have to remake everythings.... doesn't make any sense for me....why?

because there is UNITY (or others engine), and the most of the game made from construct2 are pretty easy to remake in unity...

for me, the most important thing is to improve the performance and works around it... when you have the performance, you have the power to do what do you want...when you see the fps go down....you have to stop and think...
B
S

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:25 pm

Here's my version of @Somebody 's C2 example done in CC (R2, which is on the sourceforge)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/471 ... arison.cap

Strangely, the move at angle didn't work so I just set them all to a random position when clicked.

In this at 1280x720px I get a solid 37FPS and above even if I'm clicking like crazy and 40+ FPS when not clicking.

Edit: Here's the executable, but it doesn't show FPS in top (smoothness is definitely noticeable though!)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/471 ... ompare.exe
Last edited by Jayjay on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:25 pm

facecjf wrote:
IMO they should just scrap support for large projects and focus on small/midscale projects, and rapid prototyping.

Yeah get rid of large scale support :roll: Say goodbye to a good portion of your user base. Seems we are drawing a line in the sand. Mobile on one side and desktop on the other. (no hard feelings ;) )

People are trying to make this happen, but it won't happen. It's a non-issue. Scirra will focus on the editor for C3, which will make large scale projects more viable. Meanwhile, mobile will continue to advance, and by the time c3 comes out, performance will be excellent (in my opinion, it already is). We can have our cake and eat it too, without sacrificing any significant percentage of the userbase.

People are all defensive when talking about native exporters, when most benchmarks prove they bring no benefits. Modern (non-potato) mobile devices can already support thousands of objects at once, what difference is there between 10000 and 11000 objects? Is a 10% boost (and by the time c3 comes out, it might be a 5% difference due to JIT and GC improvements) worth years without new features? Is it worth the possibility that feature parity might never come AT ALL (look at MMF and GM)?

The bugs with third party exporters are dwindling every month, I get that you're unhappy, but Scirra is doing everything they can to mitigate similar issues in the future (as mentioned repeatedly by Ashley), including support for different NW.js versions (that should probably be extended for all other exporters as well, IMHO).

Also, people are not even considering the potential changes in the landscape. MMF wasted a ton of man-hours developing exporters for XNA (now extinct) and Ouya (which has a laughable marketshare). The java2me exporter (once the only viable option for mobile gaming) is defunct as well. There is a barebones flash exporter, but flash seems to be going the way of the dodo as well. The waste of development time has gotten so bad that MMF, with all their mobile exporters, doesn't even show up here.

The main competitor to Construct 2 right now is Unity2d, and the reason lies almost solely due to unity's superior workflow. If C3 delivers, this hurdle will be cleared, which makes the editor an obvious strategic choice for improvement.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:28 pm

Jayjay wrote:Here's my version of @Somebody 's C2 example done in CC (R2, which is on the sourceforge)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/471 ... arison.cap

Strangely, the move at angle didn't work so I just set them all to a random position when clicked.

In this at 1280x720px I get a solid 37FPS and above even if I'm clicking like crazy and 40+ FPS when not clicking.

Cool, I cannot check it out, but just a thought - if the move at an angle lacks the angle computation element perhaps just make the random positions based on angle? So we have the same amount of computations. Still, sounds like it does show the difference.

Edit: Tried the exe... so smooth.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:39 pm

Somebody wrote:Thanks for trying it, if you have a moment could you try this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132 ... index.html (Press/hold right) - another simple thing I get steady 45 fps on.

I get fps between 59-61, (mostly 60, less frequently 59 and rarely 61), on both Chrome and Firefox. IE11 however doesn't work, I get a black screen!
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General