Native Desktop Exporter for Construct 3

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:54 am

I've read every post in this thread and I'm glad some of the murk is clearing. However I would like to add my say again :D

Native export is not the solution for buttery smooth performance.

C2 Engine is you could say the culprit. CC was a group project by students. C2 is all Ashley. The Runtime engine is likely very different. What most of you see as being vastly slower is just lack of performance optimizations in the main engine. My suggestion. Do what somebody did. Create test cases in both CC and C2. Then give them to Ashley.

I'm glad someone noticed that the different between bunnimark and deviltest. bunnimark is pure minimal js. Where as deviltest looks to being using a more advanced bullet. Bloat the same bunni's with the same game features and you will see a slow down.

I'm looking forward to C3 and what people should be invested in is the C3 architecture. Not in a way of what C3 should have, but to make sure that C3 will allow for other developers.

As some one who does Game Programming for a living; I agree that C2 is not a tool for professional game development. There are so many fantastic work flow tools, and overall IDE architect that makes other tools so much more nicer to work with. C2 has the ES wich makes near error less code and the API is fantastic. however C3 needs to either have these work flow tools, or the main engine needs to grant access for better work flow tools to be made. I've made request for work flow tools, but often either get blocked do to C2 limits, or Scirra see's no value. My only complaint. Is that Since Ashley doesn't make games, I'm not sure his value of what game developers want or need should the final decision. Such as file journaling updates, scene graphs, IDE store....

Yeah. it's been said before, but that's where I stand on the situation.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:51 am

A developer created an importer for Spriter to Unity

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toYWWIejxO4)
(https://github.com/bonus2113/Spriter2Unity)
(http://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3365-spriter-for-unity-43-updated-integrated/)

and the same thing could be done for C2 projects if a developer was really interested. That would greatly expand the available platforms to export for.
B
S

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:10 am

No offense to Spriter (it's awesome), but some movement info is much different than a whole creation system with plug ins, shaders and so on.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:18 am

Nesteris wrote:
TGeorgeMihai wrote:Here are my opinions for C2 so far (after 1 year and half)

Exporters:
I don't give a c**p about native or emulated or HTML5 exporter. Most of the players don't care about this stuff, they care about how the game looks and plays.

I take issue with that, because a game needs to be supported the the platform the player wants to play it on. Otherwise they can't look or play the game. And I think they care a very great deal about that.

Poor choice of words from my side ;) What I meant to say is that I don't care what's under the hood, how the game is programmed, what technologies it uses ... etc. What I do care is what players see when they play my game.

About multiplatform I've said my opinion in the downside of my post ... Except consoles, I don't think there is any other popular platform that doesn't support HTML5 games (trough wrappers) ... But yes, at the moment the 3rd party "just" do the job (some better, some worse)

In the meantime I've downloaded Unity + a visual script engine and when I got more time I will start to do some tutorials and see how I handle it.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:24 am

rexrainbow wrote: Improve workflow is more important than gain the run time performance. It is meaningless if the application was not completed before deadline.

I don't feel that the workflow of C2 holds me back, but being able to get to the Node-Webkit exporter any faster doesn't really help me when my problem is performance with said exporter.

I agree with the others that it's Scirra's choice whether they try to go for more control over export (which could prove very costly and take up a lot of time), or they instead tone-down the advertising to match the medium/hobby projects instead of competing with the biggest ones (which would make me a little sad, because Construct has the best editor I've ever used).

Staying small and going big are both options that could turn out great or not so great for both them and the community, but right now both sides equally feel like they're not getting what they wanted and thought they would when they read the adverts.

@jayderyu

I agree, but sometimes things that run fast in one build are broken in the next build (and they're both Stable builds). The problem is that things are not just running slower in C2, but unpredictably.

One moment you've got 60FPS, the next it's jumping between 25FPS and 45FPS for rendering the exact same scene with no changes. Consistency is probably the root of the issue, and I think it's something to do with Javascript and the garbage clean-up, so hopefully that can be fixed with asm.js
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:43 am

@sqiddster
@aurel

Have you tried export your games to iOS via CocoonJS WebView+? Just for test issues? I know that it's still not perfect (i.e. no native AdMob) but I'm just curious if bigger games are butter-smooth as @Silverforce said one time.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:26 am

• I think what defines a game engine, is not how many sprites can be rendered, or if it can run games at constant 60 FPS.
• The ultimate test is the amount of great games made with that particular engine, and I wonder why, C2 seems to be the game engine with the smallest ratio: great games/users.("great games" means successful games)
• C2 developers are worse than other developers? I don't think so, talent is everywhere, so I think there's is definitely a big roadblock in that final stage of the process of releasing a game.
• I think Ashley should be aware(and he is for sure) that a game engine without successful games and major developers(like squiddster and others), is a game engine with no future.
• I personally love C2, and is a 2nd nature for me, so I can't see me leaving C2 in the near future, but I would love to understand what would be the solution for breaking that roadblock, because a new editor will not solve that problem, and just "wait for the future" is not a solution at all.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:59 am

cesisco wrote:I think what defines a game engine, is not how many sprites can be rendered, or if it can run games at constant 60 FPS.

It may not define an engine, but it is plenty important - at least for action, racing, platform games. If this were positioned as a puzzle game engine or such - no biggie, but since it's basically presented as a "recreate the classic arcade hits at home" sort of thing (at least with the latest video) - you expect a steady framerate and a certain ability to supply visual spectacle.

cesisco wrote:The ultimate test is the amount of great games made with that particular engine, and I wonder why, C2 seems to be the game engine with the smallest ratio: great games/users.("great games" means successful games).

You mean smallest ratio of publicized games - we know of the ones on the front page. Yeah, Last Penelope looks awesome, what else does C2 have... hell, I cannot name another thing from the top of my head (sorry, naked spaceman game, cannot remember your name). I'm sure for every active forum member there are two lurkers and 8 people who never show up here. Probably same ratio of projects.

There's plenty of people who show amazing looking stuff and then disappear - be it that they ran into C2 problems or perhaps just run out of steam... Perhaps it would help if Scirra gave them a hand - be it with extra attention to their problems or with some other support option - to get those showcase games.

Edit: I usually have it disabled, but looked at the start page - it has a small plain link to forums - perhaps this should be a larger banner ad sort of thing, you know.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:15 am

@Somebody, I'm with you, performance is very important, I didn't said it was not ;)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:16 am

spongehammer wrote:It would be interesting to know the percentage of C2 users who write for desktop only and have no interest in mobile.

Yeah PC for me.

IMO ( not that it really matters :P ) Mobile\Touch while ok for apps, just equals feature-less games.
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General