Native Desktop Exporter for Construct 3

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:22 am

I thought we resolved the issue that Bunnimark has very little logic, where as Devilmark has far too much overhead..... guess that issue has be dragged through the mud.

Nesteris wrote:EVERYONE! EVERYONE! ATTENTION! ATTENTION!
I just had a magical epiphany.
Now, this idea may seem stupid since it's technically fueling Sccira's competition, but what if, and I think this is a win-win scenario for everybody so hear me out.
What if Ashley made Construct 3 as he intended, that is a Construct 2 extension.

I read this, but I was sleeping. Ok here is the low down scoop.

Even if Ashley created a the ES system for Unity. That's all it is. All those delicious Plugins and Behaviours won't be there. And that's the issue of the matter. The Plugins and Behaviours are in HTML5 Javascript and won't work in Unity. Unity Script is a the basic JS engine sure, but all the libs use references to the Unity API. So this leaves that C3ES-Unity wouldn't offer anything of C3.

If your looking just for EventSheet programming system for Unity. I've been looking at making something similar myself. I work on making Unity games such as http://boximals.com/#kuna-forest-adventures or some screenshots here http://christerdraws.com/Kuna-Forest-Adventure. And I wrote an array system that worked similar to ES. However on my own time I'm thinking of doing an ES style programming plugin. So time will tell in the future if I get the time. Would be fantastic for scripting :P
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:02 am

Plugins is another very important feature in C2. Yes, pure event system plus core plugins could do EVERY LOGIC, with many many events.
It might need a lot of time to debug in 1000+ events for normal C2 user.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:01 pm

Ashley wrote:We're going over the same old points (20 page thread)... but I must point out again that the node-webkit jank issue is just one bug and will be fixed, it's not some fundamental limitation (IE11 proves that), and the 0.12 alpha is already out and available at http://www.scirra.com/nwjs and should be improved. I can't believe anyone would claim Google doesn't care, because their investment in HTML5 has been colossal.

I think a lot of it is because it's always "One bug" but it just keeps happening. Before this there was the cocoon JS issues, Crosswalk problems, Chrome introduced some bug that made games slow, etc etc. The whole history if C2 has been "Wait for X to improve". This is just extremely disheartening. For my 2 simple games that have been complete for over a year now, only now are we getting to a point where these tools seem to be doing a reasonable job, and even then, still missing things that I can do nothing about (playback Rate not supported by Chrome Mobile and they have no urgency to support it because for web browsing it's rather useless). That's the thing - there's a lack of urgency because the third party developers have their own agendas with their own things they consider important, many of which are totally unrelated to game development.

By comparison, simple and more complicated games I've made in unity with unity tools I've purchased have issues addressed immediately by either the unity team or the unity asset writer for whatever asset I'm using. It's just such a difference, you feel like you can depend on Unity, whereas C2, you can just wait and hope, and years later still cannot put out products that have been completed programatically and artistically without sacrificing polish due to things outside of developer / scirra's control.

By the way there are a variety of event systems for Unity if that's what some people are interested in, i haven't tried any myself though. The power of C2 is more in the behaviors and other such features I think rather than the events and those systems won't have them.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:56 am

/ double posted /
Last edited by szymek on Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:00 am

@juryiel

you are right - history of C2 is a history of "please wait for" and endless excuses. That's why C2 is not a professional dev tool and slogans about true multiplatform support are not true. And it sounds like not funny joke when Ashley suggests that Unity is less reliable than i.e. Chromium. Because Google has more money. Lol. Even CocoonJS is more reliable. Because they focus on games. And browser developers have 10000 other issues to focus on.

So we have to accept C2 reality (= prototyping tool, simple games). And that Ashley's idea is just to wait a few years till someone else will do good job with Javascript.

Of course this approach is on the crash course with serious game development, so serious devs like Sqiddster or Aurel will just skip not reliable C2 in their next projects.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:22 am

szymek wrote:@juryiel

you are right - history of C2 is a history of "please wait for" and endless excuses. That's why C2 is not a professional dev tool and slogans about true multiplatform support are not true. And it sounds like not funny joke when Ashley suggests that Unity is less reliable than i.e. Chromium. Because Google has more money. Lol. Even CocoonJS is more reliable. Because they focus on games. And browser developers have 10000 other issues to focus on.

So we have to accept C2 reality (= prototyping tool, simple games). And that Ashley's idea is just to wait a few years till someone else will do good job with Javascript.

Of course this approach is on the crash course with serious game development, so serious devs like Sqiddster or Aurel will just skip not reliable C2 in their next projects.

Of course, I have accepted that reality :) I would have been much happier with C2 / Scirra if they didn't oversell their product with clearly untrue claims, because the product itself is still worth the price they ask for. As a hobbyist I can afford to just not release games I make indefinitey since I do it for fun, but I feel sorry for the people who depend on this "Please Wait" stuff for their livelihood, given that C2 is advertised as being professional and supporting multiple platforms. It does not support multiple platforms, third parties do.

Anyway I just pop in every so and again to see if C2 has reached a state to where I can release my games, but, unsurprisingly, we're still not there yet, so back to my Unity projects :D
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:25 am

Yeah, well the only thing that may be exaggerated is the easy part.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:29 am

newt wrote:Yeah, well the only thing that may be exaggerated is the easy part.

Yup, it is in fact quite difficult to get stuff done in C2 given that third parties don't support its features :D
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:30 am

@Juryiel

Good luck with your Unity projects.

I accepted C2 fate too ( that's why my next app will be so simple, that it should work well even on jerking Crosswalk). It's okay. But endless excuses, fake promises... - that's just not funny anymore.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:35 am

OMG..What bullshit talking here! Nothing that Scirra say or said on their homepage is fake or untrue.
I don't know what you people expected when you bought this software. It says clearly that C2 is a HTML5 engine and that the export works with wrappers. It says that it is an engine for beginners who start with programming or a fast prototyping tool for professionals. They offer a free version without time limit, so everybody can test the engine if it fits their needs. I never saw a more fair software company than Scirra. Don't blame them because you bought a product without learning about the underlying technique first. And HTML5 is a fast moving thing at the moment, that you can not compare to other programming languages/tools that have been around for decades already.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General