Native Desktop Exporter for Construct 3

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:53 pm

@Chupup Games It's great that you can make mobile and web games, but C2 from the beginning was expected to be exactly what they sell it as, a powerful and professional game development tool with desktop deployment. If C2 is only exporting to HTML5, and if the issues are in HTML5, then it's safe to say that C2 is also an issue. You can't build a structure using quicksand as the foundation and say "Well the house is perfect, the problem is just the foundation".

This isn't whining from people wanting more than they were promised, and don't try to separate yourself from the "other" developers who are making larger projects than you (because two of them are still the posterboy's of Construct 2's capabilities). We all lose out if we pretend that Construct 2's editor itself is the ultimate goal rather than the runtime/games we make and sell with it.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Chupup Games wrote:What you don't understand is, that this are issues of html5 and not C2. If you want make a game like the new Diablo (example) and publish on steam, C2 is probably not the right tool for you. But anyway, there are thousands of active html5 developers who publish succesfull there games and projects. I also use C2 for my client work and always everything worked out fine. C2 has it's market and it's very good on this. So stop whining and chose the correct tools for your projects.
There is never a all-in-one solution. C2 is mainly for small to medium web-/mobile games or interactive advertisment on the web.

There is no reason for you to continuously invent arguments to defend Scirra. I am neither addressing you, nor am I interested in whether or not you personally think I should have 'known better' about the state of HTML5 and various support of platforms prior to buying it. I am also not personally attacking Scirra, as you seem to take posts of criticism personally. Scirra is a company that needs to know what issues customers are having with their products so they can make decisions about how they want to proceed in the future. Sounds like C2 is meeting your expectations. Also sounds like C2 is not meeting the expectations of many other customers. It's good for Scirra to know this and try to identify why that might be the case and whether and how they want to address it, if they want to continue to be a successful company. I know it's common around here to want to place some sort of 'blame' on the customers having issues, but to me that thought process is essentially meaningless. What matters is, "Is a large number of your user base unhappy with your product?" The answer seems to be yes, and seems to have been yes for years. There isn't a time when I visit this board that this very topic isn't being discussed in one form or another. Given that, it is clear that Scirra is doing something wrong, either in how they represent their product, how much control they have over it, or whatever. It's up to them to figure out what that is and how to deal with it. So far it doesn't seem like they've succeeded.

I do understand whose issues they are also, it's not HTML5's issue, google didn't sell me C2 and tell me that I can use it to make games on Android and Desktop. Scirra did that, so the issues are Scirra's. If they chose to use a faulty technology that was not ready to fulfill their claim of supporting Desktop, Android, etc, that's on them. They actively oversold HTML5 capabilities to convince people that it was in a ready enough state to base their product on. People found out that in many cases it was not.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:05 pm

It's a shame that the Scirra landing page is what it currently is, instead of the actual C2 landing page here: https://www.scirra.com/construct2.

It specifically states clearly what C2 is, and not what many are stating what they think it is.

This thread seems to be getting a little personal on occasion.

#shakesheadandwalksaway
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:12 pm

@zenox98 agreed, that would be a better landing page, as it doesn't oversell C2 at all to me.

I think there is a little bitterness, but this is normal whenever a product is being replaced or retired by something different. Even a few months ago people were still commenting that they dislike the retirement of CC, so it's probably more productive to just try and make sure C3 meets the needs of the community or sets an image of exactly what it will (and won't) do before people start buying it.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:29 pm

@Juryiel: There is no reason for you to invent arguments against C2, that are just not true. You can publish to desktop & also to Android. I don't see a problem here. Can be that have some projects that work not as good, but this is not a general prove to say all the export options they promise us just don't exist. Because they are here for us to use and get updated constantly. If you buy one car of Ford and it isn't fast enough for you, you go to Ford and say: "You lied, this car doesn't drive at all! Make me a Ferrari!"

But this is the problem with todays generation, that want to have everything with one click and is not willing to read a manual anymore...
Anyway, i am out of this discussion, because you just don't want to understand. Really, people that are for years!!! (like you say) unhappy with this product, what they are still doing here? Is C2 the only gamemaker out there? If i don't like a thing i don't wait years, i change for another solution right now. And C2 is really not a so big investment, that you can not afford another software for years.

So, special for you: i don't defend Scirra because i feel personal connected to them, i just don't like untrue speakings,
look the link Zenox give above. I don't find something untrue there, what they say.

Over and out.
B
S

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:42 pm

Chupup Games wrote:@Juryiel: There is no reason for you to invent arguments against C2, that are just not true. You can publish to desktop & also to Android. I don't see a problem here. Can be that have some projects that work not as good, but this is not a general prove to say all the export options they promise us just don't exist. Because they are here for us to use and get updated constantly. If you buy one car of Ford and it isn't fast enough for you, you go to Ford and say: "You lied, this car doesn't drive at all! Make me a Ferrari!"

But this is the problem with todays generation, that want to have everything with one click and is not willing to read a manual anymore...
Anyway, i am out of this discussion, because you just don't want to understand. Really, people that are for years!!! (like you say) unhappy with this product, what they are still doing here? Is C2 the only gamemaker out there? If i don't like a thing i don't wait years, i change for another solution right now. And C2 is really not a so big investment, that you can not afford another software for years.

So, special for you: i don't defend Scirra because i feel personal connected to them, i just don't like untrue speakings,
look the link Zenox give above. I don't find something untrue there, what they say.

Over and out.

As I said, still here because I have already completed products that cannot be published due to issues on 3rd party tech that have yet to be resolved. I check every so and again to see if they've been resolved, but I have indeed moved my current projects to new engines, as you suggest. For whatever reason you seem to be of the mindset that not providing criticism and feedback and instead leaving C2 development is what Scirra wants when people are unhappy. On the other hand, my guess is that they want to retain customers or at the very least to know why customers left.

I don't think the rest of your post is worth addressing so I'll leave it at that.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:40 pm

Chupup Games wrote:@Juryiel: There is no reason for you to invent arguments against C2, that are just not true. You can publish to desktop & also to Android. I don't see a problem here. Can be that have some projects that work not as good, but this is not a general prove to say all the export options they promise us just don't exist. Because they are here for us to use and get updated constantly. If you buy one car of Ford and it isn't fast enough for you, you go to Ford and say: "You lied, this car doesn't drive at all! Make me a Ferrari!"

Over and out.

That is the problem with this generation? That comment and your aggressive attitude on the forums makes you sound like an angry old man.

And your analogy is awful. If I buy a car from ford when ford promises that it will drive as fast as a ferrari, I expect it too.

Responding to the rest of your post is too time consuming and pointless. People have a right to whine all they like on the forums. They are paying customers that are expressing their opinions. If they want to get on and whine everyday about issues that are important to them they can. Who are you to tell them to stop?

Many of us are passionate about C2 because everything from the initial installation > project creation > and the finishing of the project are all fantastic. The editor does almost everything it promises -- and provides an amazingly fast result... until exporting. Exporting issues with HTML5/Javascript is not a C2 fault -- a ton of standalone desktop applications and games for instance rely on node-webkit. The problem from my standpoint is that we have an amazing editor with no finisher. Gamemaker (again my opinion) is dog crap, but the export options work.

Yes many of us have other options. I have been working with libgdx a ton -- and while it is amazing, and results in mind bending performance, it is still based on java. Some do not like having to require that java is installed on machines for their users to install and play their game. I have also been putting time in with SFML and have been slowly working with C++. I do not like C++ but it is nice to explore options. Love2D is another great framework for 2d gaming -- and with the luaJIT compiler it has some impressive performance as well. But do I like having to code my games? (well yeah actually I kind of do). What I love about C2 is having everything built in to one nice little package. I can create my sprites.. work with the event system (wish is was code), and have access to everything without having a need for external programs. I even have high hopes for other projects like GODOT/Enigma/and even GDevelop.

Why do I keep coming back here after these years? Because I genuinely like Scirra and Ashley. I think he is a tremendous developer with a bright future, is extremely knowledgeable, and has invested unhealthy amounts of his time to help others. I also have a place in town that charges me almost double for my oil changes... When someone treats you right and provides quality work, you reward them.

I hope you do stay out of the rest of this conversation as you said you are.. but if you do not -- unlike you, I respect that others have opinions that I do not agree with and am glad that we have a platform to express ourselves.
B
S

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:02 pm

If Scirra get back to the roots and advertise C2 as an html5 engine for making web games, no one can "complain anymore"

i originally bought C2 to make simple web games, and it's great at that.

beyond that it would depend on what features your game uses....
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:55 am

As someone who has made a tool for converting C2 Projects to native, i can tell you native is not all cakes and marshmallows. You are going to find it hard to find a similar program that offers features like multiplayer, pathfinding, and shaders as easy as Construct 2 delivers them.

Am i annoyed about the jank issues? Sure, but native likes to hop around like a bunny without you programming a few tricks in. Want to sync your game in windowed mode to the refresh rate? .. Nope, not without uncapping the frame rate and watch your animations go out the window.

Unity or other programs may be superior tools.

But in terms of ease-of-use, Construct 2 is my Favourite.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:01 am

My latest game could earn up to 450$ in last month (comparing to Java apps with native AdMob), however it earned pennies, because I'm using CocoonJS with MoPub. And it means very low fillrate (for interstitials) and low eCPM. Of course I could use native AdMob ads with Crosswalk, but guess what... it's jittering :) So I preffered to release smooth game with CocoonJS than jittering with Crosswalk. Of course Ludei is working on native AdMob ads, and of course Crosswalk someday will be fixed - but it means weeks/months of waiting (in both cases). So that's real life. And that's why professionals avoid Construct 2. And "True multiplatform support" slogan is just not true.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General