Nearly daily [EFFECTS] by Somebody - neat things + big GIFs

Share your Construct 2 effect files

Post » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:13 pm

Ah ah, add some bouncing metal letters and you're ready for some serious 90's Atari ST demoscene!
Image | @AurelRegard on twitter
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:10 am

I love the scroll most of them all!

And I totally see what @Aurel mean about the last shader. :D Nauseating! But very... retro. ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:22 am

Aurel wrote:Ah ah, add some bouncing metal letters and you're ready for some serious 90's Atari ST demoscene!

Surely you mean Twisting letters? :D

Added to the repo and first post.

helena wrote:I love the scroll most of them all!

It's rather neat™ indeed :) Thanks!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:26 pm

The twist looks really nice 8)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Twisty fishes! The twist effect make me think of fishes swimming.

I have added wish of dropshadow effect to the general wishlist of effects. Transparent or not, crisp or blurred. the kind of dropshadow that is hovering behind with equal size, 3 pixel bottom-right (of course distance and direction could be changed). Respecting the alpha of the main object. Maybe you can figure out something? Of course, I am just writing here "thinking out loud" not demanding anything. :) I look forward to more updates in this, no matter what.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:56 pm

These are incredible @somebody will find these very useful! I'm wondering if it's possible to use these to create a true mario style screen wrap, you know, where mario leaves the screen edge, and wraps around the other side, but you can leave him halfway, so that his front is on one side and his backside is on the other?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:09 pm

Zebbi wrote:These are incredible @somebody will find these very useful! I'm wondering if it's possible to use these to create a true mario style screen wrap, you know, where mario leaves the screen edge, and wraps around the other side, but you can leave him halfway, so that his front is on one side and his backside is on the other?

I guess you could, but it would be a purely visual effect. For a game it would make more sense to just duplicate a Mario that is close to an edge.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Somebody wrote:
Zebbi wrote:These are incredible @somebody will find these very useful! I'm wondering if it's possible to use these to create a true mario style screen wrap, you know, where mario leaves the screen edge, and wraps around the other side, but you can leave him halfway, so that his front is on one side and his backside is on the other?

I guess you could, but it would be a purely visual effect. For a game it would make more sense to just duplicate a Mario that is close to an edge.

The interesting thing is, Mario can interact with anything he touches on either side of the wrap, so it acts, as you say, differently to just a visual, but I'm not sure how you could re-distribute sections of a sprite, including it's collision areas, onto the other side of the screen. I might start a new topic for this, sorry if I hijacked this!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:33 pm

helena wrote:Twisty fishes! The twist effect make me think of fishes swimming.

I have added wish of dropshadow effect to the general wishlist of effects. Transparent or not, crisp or blurred. the kind of dropshadow that is hovering behind with equal size, 3 pixel bottom-right (of course distance and direction could be changed). Respecting the alpha of the main object. Maybe you can figure out something? Of course, I am just writing here "thinking out loud" not demanding anything. :) I look forward to more updates in this, no matter what.

Like this? ;)

Making it blurry would be too resource-hungry, but it has offset and opacity settings. Best used on a transparent layer. The result is slightly weird with a transparent object, but I might overcome that on a future version (still learning).

Added to repo and first post.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:39 pm

@Somebody
For the drop shadow effect it would be great if we could set the layers it would cast onto, an which not.
I aplied it to my game and it worked great, except that some shadows unwanted where casted on the "sky' background layer aswell.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Effects