Nearly daily [EFFECTS] by Somebody - neat things + big GIFs

Share your Construct 2 effect files

Post » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:50 pm

helena wrote:Awesome!! I just want to say that you should make the Y to negative value to make it more like Krakout. :)
In your example, it scrolls in opposite direction for Y. (Bounce.capx) Not that it matters too much really. ;)

Oh, well, that's an oversight so here's a super-mildly improved version :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:12 pm

At first I thought it was just a minor update with the correct Y but then my irony detector told me to download, and look there, quite a difference! Nice graphic and effects! Did you make this just in hours? :) I see you used a number of your effects as well as your generator to make the graphic. It is like "spot the Somebody feature"

Great way to show a demo of what one can make with C2 and Somebody's parts. :D
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:20 pm

helena wrote:At first I thought it was just a minor update with the correct Y but then my irony detector told me to download, and look there, quite a difference! Nice graphic and effects! Did you make this just in hours? :)

In about 20 minutes or so for the attached version :) Such is the beauty of StuffGEN (hohoho). I have been thinking of making a more "inclusive" demo that shows all sorts of effects in a single place, perhaps this will become it.

It took a dozen Shaders, but seems like I'm finally close to making the one I really needed for StuffGEN, so soon the focus will shift. But still, more will come, sooner or later :)

Edit: Attaching a slightly crazier version of the second version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:26 pm

I have to look at this StuffGEN now. ;)

As for using shaders in this little game, why not add enemies floating around that utilize some of the shaders. And also why not trigger a beam (from bonus maybe) that use the twist shader (in combination with scroll)!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:14 am

@Somebody Awesome work as always. The drop shadow effect would have saved me a lot of work as well if it was included in C2 by default.

Keep up the fantastic work!
Image | @AurelRegard on twitter
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:23 am

Great stuff here, I love the twist effect, going to put it to good use to make some awesome weapons effects and trails for Star Nomad 2.

I've got a small request, is it possible to make an effect that modifies opacity of a sprite based on its length? Like a fading Laser that's bright at the source of origin and it fades as its further away from the source. I can do it via photoshop but I'd like it to be dynamic in-game that one can change the variable to make various intensities. :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:36 am

Silverforce wrote:I've got a small request, is it possible to make an effect that modifies opacity of a sprite based on its length? Like a fading Laser that's bright at the source of origin and it fades as its further away from the source. I can do it via photoshop but I'd like it to be dynamic in-game that one can change the variable to make various intensities. :)

Like a gradient fade? Or could you supply an example?

I would repeat the usual "It's better to pre-make simple things than use Shaders a lot", but since the next version of your game is aimed at non-mobile platforms (right?) that shouldn't be a problem - in my testing it takes something like 4000 objects with Shaders to get real slowdown and about 2000 if the Shader parameters change every tick. Since I'm on a potato here, basically any PC should do just fine (at least with my simple Shaders).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:02 am

I normally follow that approach also, to keep it simple, but in this case, I need something very dynamic.

Yes, its a gradient fade, can be left to right or right to left etc, but with variables that we can change dynamically via events/actions. Would be great if it had similar options as the default C2 Fade, such as start, wait, fade time and "destroy on fadeout" options. :mrgreen:

Yes it's aimed at PC/MAC. It definitely allows a lot more creative freedom than making a mobile game, particular for Android.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:49 am

Silverforce wrote:Yes, its a gradient fade, can be left to right or right to left etc, but with variables that we can change dynamically via events/actions. Would be great if it had similar options as the default C2 Fade, such as start, wait, fade time and "destroy on fadeout" options. :mrgreen:

All right, I already had plans for linear and radial fades (have a interactive presentation project coming up, could be useful there) so this is very likely to be available. There's no real way to make a Shader remember something, but what I had in mind was position and width (of the gradient fadey part) - so you can programmatically change the position and achieve a decent amount of effects that way.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:05 pm

@Silverforce @Somebody I never though of gradient fades, that looks super interesting to play with : )
Image | @AurelRegard on twitter
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Effects