Need an idea how to display lots of text in space

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Change delay, create new lines, "backspace" the text
  • Hey guys!

I'm looking for a creative and fun way to display achievements in my game.

My game is a cartoon style space-themed puzzler - think planets, stars, comets, asteroids, spaceships etc.

There will be 3 pages with different information -

1. Statistics like "Total planets saved".

2. Actual achievements like "Best combo".

3. List of recovered artifacts.

That's quite a lot of text. So how do I display it?

I don't want a boring list with scrolling. Or 3 boring buttons that open 3 boring pages or text.

I want something fun and space-related, say like opening credits in Star Wars. (But, obviously I can't use them for many different reasons)

Or maybe some kind of futuristic holographic display.

Or 3 piles of floating space debris, when you click one it arranges itself into text. (probably will be difficult to make)

Could you think of any other ideas?

• Stars.

• Sorry, could you elaborate?

• Letters as stars.

Arranges itself into text...

• Nice idea, but I have no clue how to do this...

Making hundreds of floating stars, somehow transforming them into letters and arranging into words seems like a very difficult task. Maybe use blend mode to reveal letters on a big text object?

• Nah, you make letters out of frames, and place instances, shrunk down, all over like they were stars in random positions.

Give them three variables, target x, and y, and a bool for movement. Lerp works fine.

You could also lerp their size back to normal, or just do it when they reach destination.

Nice place for a fibonacci.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Letters as sprites? I'm planning to release the game with at least 3 languages, among which is Japanese. This means hundreds of frames and many hours of work... So no, I can't do this.

Besides, the text is not static. How do I calculate the exact positions of each letter? I guess this can be done with a sprite font, but again this will be not be an easy task.

• You could do a star field with the achievement text zooming in. Frustratingly enough setting the size of the text object changes the text area and not the visual scale. I could change the font size dynamically but that probably is inefficient methinks. So I just used a bit of javascript to generate an image with the text and load that into a sprite.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xaubosnch3ls6 ... .capx?dl=0

Another idea is to have the text scale as if the lines were being scaled on a cylinder.

The star wars marquee should be doable with a shader i think. It's just a perspective transform. You could also scale them like that as well.

• Thanks R0J0hound ! This is a really nice demo!

Is it possible to use custom web font? (I don't know JS...)

I mentioned Star Wars opening text as an example of "a creative and fun idea", but it will not fit the purpose - reading lots of achievements like this will be very annoying for the player.

I don't necessarily need very cool visual effects, just something more interesting than 3 buttons with 3 text areas.

• dop2000

You can specify the font, i don't know if web fonts have any special handling besides that.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)