Need help finding the right look for your game?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • Hi Folks,

I've started a youtube series on game art direction. If you're having trouble finding the right look for your game this might help!

Episode 1: https://youtu.be/UmDIPfF2YDs

Episode 2: https://youtu.be/I-1LmvT1fdE

Episode 3: https://youtu.be/xtIRmWJzWnY

As always, I love to hear your thoughts and questions!

• Episode 2 of my art direction series is now underway. If there's anything you would like me to address in a future episode I'd love to hear it.

• Episode 2 is now live!

Again, if you have any feedback I'd love to hear it.

• pretty cool.. I should show these to my students.. although this is just concept.. I need a series where you turn that into assets...

• pretty cool.. I should show these to my students.. although this is just concept.. I need a series where you turn that into assets...

jobel that's the plan! I roughly outlined the direction the series will be taking in episode 1. Next I'll be refining three chosen concepts, then I'll move onto two mock-ups which will be used as reference for creating and implementing the games new assets.

If you have any questions that you would like answering throughout the series just let me know.

Right now it is on a small pause while I get feedback from viewers so if you have anything to add I'd be very interested in hearing it.

• well I think tiled assets is good to go over, tilemaps and repeating backgrounds. Also if you do anything with blend modes that would be super helpful as it relates to gamedev to achieve certain "effects". My students are all art students learning about gamedev. thanks!

• well I think tiled assets is good to go over, tilemaps and repeating backgrounds. Also if you do anything with blend modes that would be super helpful as it relates to gamedev to achieve certain "effects". My students are all art students learning about gamedev. thanks!

jobel That sounds good to me. In that case they will probably be interested to see how I do the water/acid/lava.

You can test the current game out at: http://hayes2d-superdungeonescape.bitballoon.com/ (with said effect)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • cool!

but you may want to think about changing the control scheme for that game.. it's very strange! I can't quite figure it's out and not very intuitive!

• cool!

but you may want to think about changing the control scheme for that game.. it's very strange! I can't quite figure it's out and not very intuitive!

jobel Haha I forgot to give you a heads up about that one. Those are just designed for touch controls but I will be adding a few more options once I move onto that stage.

• Hi 0Hayes, I watched the first episode last night, very impressive. Your concepts all look great. I never really thought of doing digital mock ups before - I'm pretty much a pencil and paper guy, although I do use google for reference images - but I think I might try this (using GIMP) for my current project. Even if it's just for the level's colour pallette.

Good luck with this series.

• Hi 0Hayes, I watched the first episode last night, very impressive. Your concepts all look great. I never really thought of doing digital mock ups before - I'm pretty much a pencil and paper guy, although I do use google for reference images - but I think I might try this (using GIMP) for my current project. Even if it's just for the level's colour pallette.

Good luck with this series.

stevecameron Thanks very much, really appreciate you took the time to watch it. Nothing wrong with pencil and paper! I might have done the concepts in Photoshop but the important part is the designing. I've even used my white board before for some very initial ideas.

• Episode 3 is recorded! They’re messy but very important.

In this stage I take on all the feedback and see how it works with the original concepts. They are a little rough around the edges but they’re perfect tools for creating the next stage of mock-ups.

Voice over and editing still remain so I'll keep you folks posted when I can.

• Parabens obrigado.

• Parabens obrigado.

Thanks!

• It’s taking me a little longer than usual to find the time for editing and VO this week which has put a bit of a delay on episode 3. So to hopefully make up for this, here’s a preview of one of the mock-ups I’ve been working on for episode 4!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)