Need help with a game

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • Hello everyone! My name is Jurica and i'm a board game designer and an amateur illustrator. I have quite a few ongoing board game projects, so i wanted to translate some of my concepts into an digital form. The problem is that i'm not very good at grasping the logic behind the construct. I guess i lack the tallent. Still, i'm not giving up - i've been lurking quite a long time on these forums, and i have a question with my game - to you it may be simple, but for me it's huge I'm making an archon-like game, in one player controls an army of fantasy creatures, against the other. But let's not get ahead of ourselves -just one answer is enough for all my questions:

• is there an example of a chess game for construct? i'd love having one, as i could learn almost everything i need to know for my game...

thanks and sorry if i was a burden on anyone!

• I disagree about a chess game being really hard

I think it would pretty simple actually

Except for the AI, that would be hard

I don't think there's been a chess game yet

But I loved archon back in the c64 and amiga days, and had considered making a similar game myself for construct or android.

I think you're thinking about the learning process the wrong way, though

A burden?

All the masterful masters of mastery on scirra that I can think of went through a period of asking questions all the time, occasionally simple noob questions, some more insightful.

It is possible you're right and you just don't have the knack for understanding programming logic, but being from a board game design background I think you might have it in you, since you probably used to thinking in a step by step, rule based way about games. Start trying stuff and you'll probably have that Eureka! moment where it all starts to click. Do the ghost shooter tutorial

Start a tic tac toe game, and if two seconds in you realize you don't know how to make an x appear where you click, then great, you have your first question. Good luck

And just curious, you have an interesting name, may I ask which language/gender jurica is?

• [quote:26x1jb4w]I disagree about a chess game being really hard

I think it would pretty simple actually

Except for the AI, that would be hard

I don't think there's been a chess game yet

But I loved archon back in the c64 and amiga days, and had considered making a similar game myself for construct or android.

Wow, that would be great! I'd just LOVE playing that game, cause i'm a huge fan of archon on c64. I saw some remakes, but it just wasn't the same...

I think you're thinking about the learning process the wrong way, though

A burden?

Well, i've been lurking for quite a while and trying to decypher all your discussions, but i fail to grasp all that math, physics and i start to think that even the simplest things require a lot of math. Making board games is a lot easier - it's all about balancing and making it simple, expansive, addictive. I even have some papers done on an MMO, but that was way back then, when i thought making games was..doable I won't give up and your post was really REALLY helpful and motivating, so thank you very much!

All the masterful masters of mastery on scirra that I can think of went through a period of asking questions all the time, occasionally simple noob questions, some more insightful.

I read some posts about people flaming some people who asked one question too many, so i was a bit afraid if i'll cause the same reaction.. good to know my fears were unfounded

It is possible you're right and you just don't have the knack for understanding programming logic, but being from a board game design background I think you might have it in you, since you probably used to thinking in a step by step, rule based way about games.

Not only that, but law school as well I'm all about rules, but i think i think too much in the box - most of the solutions to the programming problems here are quite unique and interesting, like making an animation instead of introducing a bunch of sprites.. now i'm not sure if i'd ever think of that, so if that's what it takes on a task-per-task basis, i'll be literally flodding the forum with my questions... However, yeah, i think when i get enough of experience i'll be able to grasp the concepts i need to grasp...

Start trying stuff and you'll probably have that Eureka! moment where it all starts to click. Do the ghost shooter tutorial

Trust me, i started

Start a tic tac toe game, and if two seconds in you realize you don't know how to make an x appear where you click, then great, you have your first question. Good luck

Ok, i'll do that after this (long) reply. Again, you have no idea how much your reply means to me

And just curious, you have an interesting name, may I ask which language/gender jurica is?

Aw, maybe i'll dissapoint you here(?), but it's a typical guy's name for a person from Croatia. Where're you from?

• Yeah, I can attest that Jurica is a typical croatian name

Anyway. Welcome, Jurica, and good luck with your project.

• hehe, thanks Miha darn, i'm so passionate about all this that i actually have a friend who has a board game making company. if he's down with that, i'll soon offer some business propositions with a cash offer for a good programer on our small team, or even for some tutelage! Still, it's to early to talk about these things... I have so many ideas (some of them good!) to make a board game, a card game or TBS game... then sell these on steam or wherever..what do you guys think of that? is there a market for it? what are prerequisites to make a game for steam?

• ... and my tic tac toe game is done.. now i wonder if i could optimize the code better? here's what i did:

• created layout lines, made a grid. In the grid "boxes", created 100% transparent boxes, made a circle and made an X
    • declared global "turn" variable, to decide who's turn it would be
    • declared private box variables to detect if a sign is placed - box 1,2...9
    • Conditioned the following for each and every box:

if mouse button is clicked, check if the box is taken. If not, create circle at pivot point of the box, offset 0,0, set global "turn" variable to 1

if global turn variable is 1, and a box isn't taken, place an X inside....etc.

So my question would be: is there an easier way to do this? i had to copy paste some actions, but it gets frustrating to change the little things inside the code for every box.. i think there is something about families or functions that can solve this...

thanks!

• ok, here's a question i have: after i've made conditioning for all the situations in the game, i wanted to display score, then empty the board and start over, while keeping the score. I can reset the variables, but i don't know how to remove X and O that are all over the board.. a little help please

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'd suggest a different layout for game end, and have the score be global.

then you just jump from layout to layout and everything gets reset except for the score.

If you're interested in teaming up, I'm up for it

I'll send you a PM with my email.

• sure, what did you have in mind when you said teaming up? i'd love to be hand held throughout the process, since this is literally the first thing i did in construct or anything even closely related to programming

• But I loved archon back in the c64 and amiga days, and had considered making a similar game myself for construct or android.

Archon was amazing! Too bad ea deiced games like Archon and MULE are not worth there time.

lucid if you ever decide to tackle that I am in for helping with the graphics.

*note*

Hijack over

• Hey guyon I pm'd you back. Mine never tells me when I have pm's though, so that's why I'm saying so here

Ps: mipey, you never told me your name was mipey

I would've got a head start hitting on you a long time ago

But, just out of curiosity, what does qualify as an unual name where you're from?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)