Need ideas for mechanics and game design

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:58 am

I started this game as a learning process in C2. Now i really dont know if i can make it "fun" or in wich direction i should take it.

Try the very raw alpha here: http://eris.itch.io/space-game-without-a-name

A, S, W, D for controls. 1 and 2 toggles laser and tractor beam.

I dont know if a more Arcade style is better, with swarms of attackers etc, or more of a rpg with earning cash and buying upgrades, doing mining missions, dragging around ore etc, maybe building a refinery etc, is the way to go.

I feel it is a little bit flat now. Not the graphics, but the interesting/fun element.

Anyone has tips ideas for mechanics?
Last edited by Eris on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:23 pm

This is fantastic.

I get the feel that it should be a choose your own adventure.
Player can buy upgrades, do mining missions as you say.
He can also be a space pirate and loot other vessels, or join the federation and take down the space pirates.

I don't know, weave a story, through in 1 major quest, and 3 to 5 mini quests. Give the user some chooses and make sure there is something dramatic happening/about to happen that must be stopped or avoided. Maybe solar system going to explode and he hasn't got enough resources on his broken ship to evacuate and spin a story around getting his ship space travel worthy to escape the doom.

But, it is gorgeous demo. Fantastic job.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:37 pm

DUTOIT wrote:I don't know, weave a story, through in 1 major quest, and 3 to 5 mini quests.

Thanks.

Yes going at it from a story angle can be the thing to do. I guess i'll start mulling it over.

Thanks again.
B
S
G

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests