Need some morale boosting [:^(]

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun May 06, 2012 3:40 am

I think manually assembling the level isn't that hard... there really isn't much need for per-pixel collisions.
Seriously, considering how nice C2's interface is, it is really worth staying here. The developers actually care about the product, and there is a great community to boot.
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 06, 2012 3:55 am

I don't think clickteam doesn't care about their product - there's no proof of that that I've seen or heard of.

That said, I think pretty much every part of C2 is superior to MMF except for parts that aren't finished yet, like the image editor and such. There are a ton of advantages to C2 over MMF, and not many the other way around, and most, if not all of those advantages I've heard are on the to do list (EXE wrapper, improved mobile performance, easier object switching, etc). Stick with C2! :)Arima2012-05-06 03:58:56
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 06, 2012 7:33 am

I was an MMF user, and I can tell you that in what concerns game design and general, C2 is completely superior, save for the things that aren't done yet, like filters, transitions and such. MMF is, however, better suited for native Windows application building. I have seen and made really powerful apps. on MMF. But if it's games, stay in C2.

C2 and HTML5 are young. I know C2 will get even better, which is really exciting and I have real high hopes for HTML5 to get it right.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 2:15 am

A way to do per pixel collisions with physics would be to create a small physics sprite for each collision pixel. I agree this is too tedious to do manually. I used the canvas object to read the pixels of the image, the I made it so only the edge pixels were created to reduce the object count.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5426011/examples11/perpixel.capx
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 4:51 am

In my ever so humble opinion..

MMF2 is more powerful in *almost* every aspect due to its age and exposure but is hindered by piss-poor, archaic designs that make for a generally unpleasant experience. Also, said "power" heavily relies on questionably stable 3rd party extensions and such; the program itself hasn't changed a whole lot since 1994. I'm serious.

CC might be a tad weaker here and there but is ultimately superior to MMF2 due to its thoughtful designs and features. However, it's kinda slow, often buggy, and lacks some the ease-of-use you'll find in C2. If it wasn't tied to Windows and abandoned I'd use nothing else.

C2..C2 is tricky. It's lightning-fast, clean, well-designed, and has lots of great features to make your life easier and development faster. I want to recommend it more than anything but I think HTML5 is holding it back considerably. You trade off expansive, powerful, feature-rich games and tools for, well, whatever you can cram into a smartphone or browser. In my opinion multi-platform support means nothing when it cripples everything else. (Hell I don't even think HTML5 REALLY means multi-platform..It can just run games in browsers, and all platforms support browsers..therefore HTML5 games run anywhere.) But of course "HTML5 is young and constantly growing"..I just think that by the time it really gets good, all the desired exporters and that which comes with them could've been finished already..but that's another topic..moving on..

Hopefully this helps and doesn't sound too biased; I've used both Clickteam & Scirra software extensively. It just comes down to whichever is more appropriate for you!Tokinsom2012-05-07 05:41:08
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 8:32 am

[QUOTE=Tokinsom]
C2..C2 is tricky. It's lightning-fast, clean, well-designed, and has lots of great features to make your life easier and development faster. I want to recommend it more than anything but I think HTML5 is holding it back considerably. You trade off expansive, powerful, feature-rich games and tools for, well, whatever you can cram into a smartphone or browser. In my opinion multi-platform support means nothing when it cripples everything else. (Hell I don't even think HTML5 REALLY means multi-platform..It can just run games in browsers, and all platforms support browsers..therefore HTML5 games run anywhere.) But of course "HTML5 is young and constantly growing"..I just think that by the time it really gets good, all the desired exporters and that which comes with them could've been finished already..but that's another topic..moving on..

Hopefully this helps and doesn't sound too biased; I've used both Clickteam & Scirra software extensively. It just comes down to whichever is more appropriate for you![/QUOTE]

Yeah, not to mention by the time HTML5 is good enough, other software may gain the upper hand by being just as good as C2 and having multi export...
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 11:02 am

Just to say : you can have a per-pixel collision detection by using a webgl shader. The GPU boost can help you lower down the time needed for the calculation.
However, when I saw the last poll, I realized that for a lot of people, webGL shaders weren't a prority...
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General