Networking in Construct

Forum for plugin, effect and behavior programmers. Please use the Help & Support forum for help using Construct.

Post » Wed May 04, 2011 12:07 am

[quote="aldo":o4totzud]ould basic updating of positions be enough to make-- for instance-- a multiplayer mario game?[/quote:o4totzud]
Probably not without a lot more work. You would want Arsonides plugin for this otherwise you would have to handle alot of work yourself in the .cap. I think mine will be a simple one for non-action games, at least at first. If Arsonides only take a month or two he might actually beat me out!
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 04, 2011 12:42 am

[quote="Arsonide":2yjbtmml]I wasn't ready to announce that I was working on it, but I guess now is as good of a time as any...[/quote:2yjbtmml]

Err... whoops. Sorry about that!
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 10, 2011 2:43 am

Awesome, I always wanted a network plugin. :)

The only features I'd like aside from basic data sending is built-in capability to detect players that join, leave (and time out) from the game session. Some sort of way to host games for others to join, and preferably some way to handle a case where the host itself disconnects/exits the game, auto-assigning another player to be the host.

That, and the ability to send data using TCP or UDP, depending on whether you need TCP reliability or UDP performance.

I'm not really sure why you need "sprite indexing". Each player should have a unique ID generated by the network plugin, however. This way you could assign an ID to each player's object and reference that when you receive some data update from that player. That's how I did it in MMF with their Moo and DirectPlay network plugins, if I remember correctly...
B
G

Post » Tue May 10, 2011 3:02 am

Players already have IDs, Raknet uses UDP I believe, and everything in that first paragraph is already in except for the host leaving thing. If the host leaves, the server dies.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 9:42 pm

voted in the last option.. i'm currencly working on a online project but because i'm very noob at python it taking slow steps... i'm learning python day by day.. but some things i really can't get to work..
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 9:46 pm

[quote="Arsonide":184rj5yo]I wasn't ready to announce that I was working on it, but I guess now is as good of a time as any...seeing as davo's code is plastered all over my wall in various notebook pages randomly tacked and covered in sticky notes.

davo was pretty far along with his Online plugin. I ran through the source and it already has basic functionality. Honestly I think the community would like it as is, but davo obviously didn't feel that it was ready yet, so out of respect for him and his work I'm going to patch up a few features he was working on before I release it. Right now it works great over a LAN but I plan on including lag compensation features as well.

It is based on Raknet - and I have spoken to Rakkar about what licensing issues that might entail. Basically, you can use the plugin as much as you want, but if you plan on releasing a major project to the public, you have to go to Raknet's site and accept the independent developer's license - which you do by downloading Raknet. You don't need Raknet to use the plugin, so after that you can delete it. You just have to make sure to accept their license. Raknet was davo's choice, not mine - but it was a good choice. Raknet is very feature rich.

Their license is free, up until you make $50,000, after which you pay royalties. If you're making $50,000 on a Construct game, I don't think you'll mind. The license also stipulates that you mention Raknet in any readme files, splash screens, or credit screens.

I have no idea how long it will take to reach a releasable state with this - I'm pretty sure I understand what needs to be added and how to add it, but it will take time. I have about four other plugins I'm working on as well as a day job. Luckily I don't have a life though, so development in my off time will be intense. I wouldn't expect it to take more than a month or two.[/quote:184rj5yo]that's a very good news.. can't wait
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 14, 2011 3:55 am

[quote="Guif0DA":1rtq3wzv]that's a very good news.. can't wait[/quote:1rtq3wzv]

Agreed!
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 14, 2011 4:24 am

Like I said in IRC a few times. It's been hard to focus on Online with so many projects on the table. So I made myself a timeline. What I'm going to do is finish up Muse, then do a small one or two night patch job on the dungeon plugin to enhance it a bit. Then I'll be completely free of future projects (sans a bit of patching), and I'll pick up Online full time.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 14, 2011 10:09 am

[quote="Arsonide":uvtpzphb]...Then I'll be completely free of future projects (sans a bit of patching), and I'll pick up Online full time.[/quote:uvtpzphb]
You're done with void runner?
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 14, 2011 10:27 am

I voted for the last one as i find online games to be big in gaming and its always funn to play with random ppl.
It would be neat to be able to make games like this one http://www.pixeljam.com/dinorun/

As for the license... where you get that from?
Sorry, but personaly im againts these extra dealings.
I rather pay a license right on begining Once.

I dont think it will ever reach the point of where the programer gets money of sold games over 50 000 when theres no official game made and such deal can turn off many potential game makers before they even begin to try using it.
Thats atleast one of the reason why i avoid to even look at that Unreal engine XD;

I mean, can you atleast explain how that specific % of the bill is suposed to be paid?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct engineering