Networking in Construct

Forum for plugin, effect and behavior programmers. Please use the Help & Support forum for help using Construct.

Post » Sat May 14, 2011 12:01 pm

[quote="Miu3":fq6zyugk]Sorry, but personaly im againts these extra dealings.
I rather pay a license right on begining Once.[/quote:fq6zyugk]

RakNet is actually a really good deal. It is a "gentlemen's" agreement. In the unlikely event that you make more than $50K on your game then you pay RakNet folks money. 99.9% of the people that use the plugin will be using it completely free and simply have to download the program and agree to the license out of procedure.

[quote="Miu3":fq6zyugk]when theres no official game made and such deal can turn off many potential game makers before they even begin to try using it.[/quote:fq6zyugk]
You don't worry about deals before you use...only in the rare chance you make $50k+ on your game. In that case, I think you would be pretty happy to pay a slice of your profits.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 14, 2011 3:05 pm

[quote="lucid":2rulyydu][quote="Arsonide":2rulyydu]...Then I'll be completely free of future projects (sans a bit of patching), and I'll pick up Online full time.[/quote:2rulyydu]
You're done with void runner?[/quote:2rulyydu]
My artist is having some trouble with his eye, so for the moment I have time to work on other things. I was referring to my plugin projects.

[quote="Miu3":2rulyydu]Sorry, but personaly im againts these extra dealings.
I rather pay a license right on begining Once.[/quote:2rulyydu]

I am not sure what the royalty percentage is. I don't even think that is in the license. They are pretty lax on the Raknet forums about that stuff, in fact I think you personally talk to Rakkar about it once you hit that point. I didn't choose Raknet - David did. I'm just continuing his work. However, after seeing the power of the library, I don't see why you would not want to use it. There are a lot of less powerful libraries out there with more restrictive licensing schemes.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:10 am

Looking at the RakNet licenses, it seems (unless I read something wrong) you can make up to $100,000 in gross revenue before they make you spend $15,000 on a commercial license plus interest each month if you don't pay. The license comparison chart shows a "Budget" license ($7,500 unless you make over $1 million), but I can't find the actual license form for that.

http://www.jenkinssoftware.com/pricing.html

I know it is unlikely anyone would make that much money from their game, but I still don't like the license.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:59 am

Just a little status update on Network plugin progress:

I've implemented some basic functionality currently. Game can exist in one cap with the player choosing to be server or client. Reliable and unreliable fast UDP is supported with auto bandwidth utilization support. Communication can occur over channels so each channel wont interfere with network traffic on the other channels.

I have basic message passing working (see my "game" release for One Buck Challenge). Once I get back from my trip in a couple weeks I'll start working on adding support for player IDs, position updates, and start testing for bugs. Should hopefully get an early Beta out in another two months or so.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:23 pm

So would this also lead to the possibility of being able to have online play between two computers that are in say, different cities, both connected to the internet?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:32 pm

[quote="scidave":39d7o0bk]Just a little status update on Network plugin progress:

I've implemented some basic functionality currently. Game can exist in one cap with the player choosing to be server or client. Reliable and unreliable fast UDP is supported with auto bandwidth utilization support. Communication can occur over channels so each channel wont interfere with network traffic on the other channels.

I have basic message passing working (see my "game" release for One Buck Challenge). Once I get back from my trip in a couple weeks I'll start working on adding support for player IDs, position updates, and start testing for bugs. Should hopefully get an early Beta out in another two months or so.[/quote:39d7o0bk]

Awesome. Can't wait =D As for multiple channels, do you mean like ports? or are these channels all recieved by the plugin?
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:41 am

[quote="MrMiller":1tq3xuri]So would this also lead to the possibility of being able to have online play between two computers that are in say, different cities, both connected to the internet?[/quote:1tq3xuri]
Yes and no.

Yes in that you could have online play right off the bat.

No, in that there would be lots of lag and hat would negatively affect game experience.

The actual answer is the plugin only gives you message passing. It would require the user to implement interpolation and some type of lag syncronization as the library doesn't do it for you. At least not now. The plugin Arsonide is working on might be easier with respect to online games.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:46 am

[quote="Jayjay":2ovovneq]. As for multiple channels, do you mean like ports? or are these channels all recieved by the plugin?[/quote:2ovovneq]
The channels are handled by the plugin so it is a "virtual channel" over UDP
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:36 pm

[quote="scidave":1s3es9ro][quote="Jayjay":1s3es9ro]. As for multiple channels, do you mean like ports? or are these channels all recieved by the plugin?[/quote:1s3es9ro]
The channels are handled by the plugin so it is a "virtual channel" over UDP[/quote:1s3es9ro]

Ah cool, that's what I was hoping :D This sounds great for turn based games!
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:31 pm

I like this idea alot of a plugin, And @scidave, I tried to use your tutorial but i could hardly get off the ground. I did read through it and i never found out what i was doing wrong. I've done some networking before in the past projects just never with python and construct and it never comes together nicely by any means. But I'm sure ill try your tutorial again and see what i can do.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct engineering