New Android Export Experiences

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm very happy to have this exporter. CocoonJS has been a constant disappointment for me, with seemingly no progress in the last 6 months (for me at least).

In any case, my experience with this new version isn't going too smoothly.

These are the instructions in the latest blog:

Download the Intel XDK to access the build system - Done

Run the Intel XDK and sign up/log in if you haven't already - Done

Create a new project in the XDK - Done

Export your project from Construct 2 using the new 'Android' option - Done

Copy-paste the exported files over the XDK project you've created - Done
Switch to the 'Build' tab in the XDK - Done

Click the 'Build' button by 'Crosswalk for Android' - Done

Follow the steps to build the app - This breaks a lot... randomly shuts down the XDK program once uploaded.

Download the .APK on to your device (e.g. by emailing a link), install and run! - Produces an APK which when installed shows an Intel icon rather than my own.

No idea what could be causing this.

Anyway, how are others doing?
Last edited by AnD4D on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:25 pm

I am trying it right now.
My tablet runs android 4.1.1 and though they said it should work from version 4+ i only had 4.2 in the os version options and i couldn't find a way to change that anywhere.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:30 pm

I should also point out that my teeny tiny game of 4.4mb is exporting as a 27mb APK.
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

Nintendo Wii U Developer using Construct 2
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:49 pm

@AnD4D How's the performance when compared to phonegap and cocoon?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Instant crash when I try to run my test project. Probably my fault. *Shrug* Will try again later.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:53 pm

Just managed to get my game working. Couldn't get the icon working, nor could I get a space between the text of the app title.

Finally, I was disappointed to discover that my app was running even slower than CocoonJS, and the volume controls didn't work at all for this game on my mobile device.
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:55 pm

@funkyos

It appears to be worse than CocoonJS. I haven't even tried PhoneGap. It hasn't been remotely worthwhile for almost a year.
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm literally crying tears of joy... Outstanding buttersmooth performance on my both projects (even better than some native games installed on my s4 mini).A LOT better than CocoonJS (and cocoonjs 1.4.6 wasn't bad at all). There are some quirks (sometimes sounds are played after about half a second, but this may be limited to my projects because I used a lot of workarounds to make cocoonjs play sfx that didn't want to play) but hey... we're talking about the first release of a beta exporter for the first release of a beta wrapper.
Tomorrow i'll post a more detailed report, now let me play with this new toy all night long.
The only real drawback seems to be the huge compiled apk size but despite this I think that crosswalk is more than promising.
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:02 pm

[QUOTE=AnD4D] Just managed to get my game working. Couldn't get the icon working, nor could I get a space between the text of the app title.

Finally, I was disappointed to discover that my app was running even slower than CocoonJS, and the volume controls didn't work at all for this game on my mobile device.[/QUOTE]

@AnD4D remember that this is a first beta experiment for C2 and this exporter, so it could improve with time
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Whilst I'm super excited about trying this out, I can't seem to install Intel XDK. I download the windows installer for my Windows 7 64-bit OS and click on it, pops up with the splashscreen and progress bar saying "Extracting configuration files..." then when the progress bar reaches the end, closes. Tried installing the Linux 64bit version on Ubuntu which got further but froze during the installation. Also tried installing the Windows one on a Windows XP Virtual box but this only causes the splash screen to appear for a split second then vanish! Tried compatibility settings in Windows too, running as admin and whatnot, but nothing. :(
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General