New Android Export Experiences

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:55 am

@Joannesalfa

Hey guys, Can you try phonegap with this plugin https://github.com/Wizcorp/phonegap-plugin-wizCanvas ?

Would like to try ... but seams its not supported in Phonegap build

Dont know how to implement it in my C2 project

Merry Christmas
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:32 am

@Ashley

So what options do people that are running on OS Systems that are older than windows 7.Can we still use crosswalk and the new export option?RookieDev2013-12-22 11:33:17
GMO FOOD = DEATH
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:43 pm

@IntelTyler i came across a stupid bug, but maybe it's my fault dunno...

when i play sounds or music they come from the EARPIECE instead of the normal speaker...

this is especially annoying because i have to restart my phone once i started a crosswalk app because after i do so all other apps will play their sounds from the earpiece aswell :/

i'm using a sony xperia z
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:51 pm

@Everyone. Thanks for taking the time to try out crosswalk and XDK and letting us know the good and bad. It really helps us know what we have to do next.

@Astro The build problem was resolved. A logging option was left on and the disk filled up. I did a couple builds and it works fine now.

@RookieDev There is a web based interface to the build system. We are going to retire it in a few months but you can use it for now.

I don't have enough points to post a url so I had to mangle it. Cut/paste and get rid of the X between http: and //

http:X//appcenter.html5tools-software.intel.com/csd/controlpanel.aspx
'start a new app', 'create your own from scratch' 'start with a project bundle' Export from c2 for android. Create a zip file with index.html in top level. Upload that bundle. Click next.You will be in appcenter and select 'build as mobile app' and the 'crosswalk'.

If you want to update the zip file, export from c2 again. Make a new zip. Go to appcenter. 'Update QA' to upload the new bundle. 'Promote' to put it in the production slot. Then build.

This is much easier from XDK so we should find a way for you to use it. Are you on windows XP? What problem do you see?
Intel Corporation
B
S

Post » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:46 pm

If you want to test crosswalk, but are blocked by the 25M limit for upload while trying to build:

Start up XDK then click on the 'Debug' tab at the top. Connect your android device to your computer via usb. There is some help information on the screen--you may need to install a driver. Then click the 'rocket' icon and it will launch your app on the device using crosswalk.

The first launch will be slow. After the first time, a project with 51M of assets took 20 seconds to launch on my Nexus 4. Building an APK takes 5+ minutes when you include upload/download time so this is a much faster and easier way to test with crosswalk.

Debug tab also lets you debug your app in Chrome dev tools, profile tab lets you profile the javascript.
Intel Corporation
B
S

Post » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:11 pm

@IntelRobert
Is it possible in the future to reduce the library inside the apk to 10MB or less?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:15 pm

@IntelRobert Thanks for the update. I will definitely be trying this out in a little while.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:41 pm

@IntelTyler & @IntelRobert i tried exporting as an html5 website and then opening the game with chrome for android and the same thing happens...

sounds comes from the earpiece, not the normal speaker...

so it's probably a chrome bug?

my chrome version is 31.0.1650.59 latest version according to the play store :/

EDIT: probably the same as this one: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=311599Ize2013-12-22 18:43:48
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:46 pm

[QUOTE=Cipriux] @IntelRobert
Is it possible in the future to reduce the library inside the apk to 10MB or less? [/QUOTE]

That is not likely. However, we are investigating something that might work for you. You can make an android apk depend on another apk. We could package crosswalk as a separate APK. The first time you start the app, it will check if crosswalk is installed and open up google play if it is not. If crosswalk is already installed, then the app will install/launch. Earlier versions of Adobe Air worked this way.

This makes the minimal crosswalk app be < 1MB. We were concerned that App Developers would think this is cumbersome and would prefer that the crosswalk runtime be embedded in the App so the end user has a single download. What do you think?

Another possibility is to use google's support for expansion files. Ashley's suggestion of the app downloading the assets and relying on caching would be the simplest solution.
Intel Corporation
B
S

Post » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:28 pm

[QUOTE=IntelRobert] [QUOTE=Cipriux] @IntelRobert
Is it possible in the future to reduce the library inside the apk to 10MB or less? [/QUOTE]

Another possibility is to use google's support for expansion files. Ashley's suggestion of the app downloading the assets and relying on caching would be the simplest solution.[/QUOTE]

For me the vote for the Ashley solution
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General