New app to teach treble cleft note names. Could use UI help

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:25 am

Hello,
I have another prototype ready which is based on a previous app of mine available in iTunes (iPhone only).

This time, I want to implement some new features and wonder if there are better ways to display the buttons.
Basically, I don't want a UI which seems too busy or more complex than it needs to be.

Any pointers or ideas on how to display five buttons (in less space) would be great!

Thank you :)

P.S. The buttons bring up new scenes with different content but re-used sounds etc...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S

Post » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:03 pm

@vancouver - if you didn't want the buttons on the screen all the time, they could slide away when not needed, but if user touched the screen in a certain location, then the buttons would slide back into view so they could be used
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Men Men Men Men Manley Men,

that is actually a great idea. I don't play computer "games" and don't know what is actually possible.

So basically, I'd create a transparent sprite on the left hand side which, when touched (twice maybe) slides in from the left with the menu buttons ....
I will have to do a little reading to learn how to pin the buttons etc...

* If you don't watch Two and A Half Men then please ignore the first line ;)
B
S

Post » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:30 am

I just uploaded an early preview that creates two octaves of notes starting at the low A (Treble Clef).

So .... if anyone is interested in learning the note names from scratch, this app will get you there.

I will update it on a regular basis until it has everything it needs.

YOUR feedback is most welcome! :)

http://littlecomposers.com/apps/treble-clef/

To use this app, just click anywhere on the red line ... the rest is self explaining.
B
S

Post » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:01 pm

I personally think the UI is just fine (although allow a switch to accomodate left-handed / right-handed people) - definitely dress it up some, though.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:31 pm

Thank you Chris!
Funny you'd mention left/right handed.

The first version had the hotspots which trigger the notes in the center of the app.
Because I tested on a desktop, I didn't realize how hard that would be for a thumb to reach when used on a mobile phone or tablet.

So yes, that is easy to implement and I don't see a reason why it wouldn't make it into the app.

On behalf of all left handed children who tackle music notation via this app, I thank YOU! :)
B
S

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas