New CocoonJS plugin from Ludei! Open source!

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Yup - same for me. The 'new and improved' cocoonjs plugin is rubbish. Ludei = massive fail; it can't have been robustly tested at all...
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
74
S
20
G
71
Posts: 2,228
Reputation: 44,888

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:54 pm

Colludium wrote:Yup - same for me. The 'new and improved' cocoonjs plugin is rubbish. Ludei = massive fail; it can't have been robustly tested at all...


That is why they open sourced it, they won't be supporting it anymore, and are asking for help from us to test, contribute and update.

Honestly this github situation is meant to put it on Scirra's plate. Which is good and bad. Good because we can control it now, bad because it is extra work. Does that make sense?

Ludei will add to github when needed and we will be responsible for fixing bugs.
Last edited by firebelly on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
31
S
10
G
7
Posts: 416
Reputation: 7,264

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:21 pm

@firebelly - I agree that it's good and bad now that it's been given to give it to the community.

My fail comment was just because Ludei came out with a big positive blog and fanfare: "Today we’re releasing the new CocoonJS Plugin for Construct 2. WOOHOOO!!" After reading that I imagined that it might in fact work and not cause C2 to crash.... If the headline had read "we didn't really test it and, to be honest, we had better commercially driven things to be getting on with - so, there you go, good riddance to it / what a relief" then my expectations would have been better aligned with reality.

I do think that this will be good in the long run, though - but only if there's someone in the community who has the time, skill and inclination to get in their and tweak the plugin for the greater good. I would love to give it a go but I am useless at coding...
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
74
S
20
G
71
Posts: 2,228
Reputation: 44,888

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:39 pm

Mayfly wrote:I get an error even opening C2 without the example. Tells me error on line 6 of common.js ad the plugin is not available =( Doh


Same error. C2 r167.2

has anyone got if working?
B
20
S
3
Posts: 67
Reputation: 1,074

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:19 pm

....now what? who's responsible to fix this? my games are still rely on cjs export, and waiting for google play service for long time, now broke the whole thing? :/
Doo Doo Diving App Store | Google Play

Donut Pirate App Store | Google Play
B
17
S
2
G
1
Posts: 195
Reputation: 1,578

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:35 pm

looks like someone is working on it, I'm about to try out this fix and see if it helps:
https://github.com/ludei/Construct-2-pl ... /4/commits

will update in a bit on if it works or not
B
63
S
12
G
6
Posts: 456
Reputation: 8,981

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:03 pm

russpuppy wrote:looks like someone is working on it, I'm about to try out this fix and see if it helps:
https://github.com/ludei/Construct-2-pl ... /4/commits

will update in a bit on if it works or not


I haven't tried integrating google play game services yet but the hotfix https://github.com/ludei/Construct-2-pl ... /4/commits (not yet applied to master branch) seems to work
B
63
S
12
G
6
Posts: 456
Reputation: 8,981

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Colludium wrote:@firebelly - I agree that it's good and bad now that it's been given to give it to the community.

My fail comment was just because Ludei came out with a big positive blog and fanfare: "Today we’re releasing the new CocoonJS Plugin for Construct 2. WOOHOOO!!" After reading that I imagined that it might in fact work and not cause C2 to crash.... If the headline had read "we didn't really test it and, to be honest, we had better commercially driven things to be getting on with - so, there you go, good riddance to it / what a relief" then my expectations would have been better aligned with reality.

I do think that this will be good in the long run, though - but only if there's someone in the community who has the time, skill and inclination to get in their and tweak the plugin for the greater good. I would love to give it a go but I am useless at coding...


is this the problem

the plugin is not working :lol: so, maybe this problem: https://www.scirra.com/forum/bug-of-cocoonjs-v2-very-important_t101699?start=10 will not fix it?

I was very excited when I saw the news, but when I test the plugin... no comment... the good news is just "open source"

CocoonJS is a great potentiality, my game run fast with this and is easy to test the game... so, is possible to publish a perfect game for iphone if cooconJS working well... but... that problem...
B
21
S
9
Posts: 298
Reputation: 2,967

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:15 pm

@Ribis - the problem for me with the new plugin was that I could not run any C2 game in preview on my laptop in google chrome after I installed it following Ludei's instructions - it was nothing to do with whether or not the script was minified, unfortunately (unless I've missed another potential fix on reading that thread - I enjoyed the facepalm banter, though!). I've reverted back to the old plugin and everything is stable again...

I'm pleased and excited that some of the big guns are in on this already (@russpuppy). All hope is not yet lost!
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
74
S
20
G
71
Posts: 2,228
Reputation: 44,888

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:48 pm

I still get the error with that hotfix, Unless I am missing something? I am saving the runtime.js and the capx and overwriting the older ones. But I will get the same javascript error =(
B
38
S
11
G
1
Posts: 203
Reputation: 4,473

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests