New power supply buzzing - anyone know why?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri May 29, 2009 4:40 am

[quote="Ashley":2ga1vixd]It might be badly installed to the case, a loose screw could make it buzz. Maybe tightening everything up would fix it. Did you install it yourself?[/quote:2ga1vixd]

Yes, but at the moment. it's not actually botled to the case, it's sitting outside it, so it's not that unless it's a component inside the psu itself. Also, the problem goes away if I take out the 9800GT - so it seems like it only happens when the PSU is running above a certain power draw.

[quote="Ashley":2ga1vixd]If the wattage is sufficient don't be fooled in to thinking higher wattage equals more quality - you should get the lowest wattage that covers your computer, then find a good model. Once I bought an el cheapo PSU and it exploded after six months. 500W should be more than enough for most desktops if you actually calculate the peak power consumption.[/quote:2ga1vixd]

I read on a lot of websites that Seasonic makes quality stuff, so that shouldn't be it - it might just be the one I've got.

[quote="SoldjahBoy":2ga1vixd]How many 12v rails does the PSU have?[/quote:2ga1vixd]

I have no idea. I can't find it anywhere, and as much as I've tried to understand this whole amps/rails thing, it doesn't make much sense, because it isn't clearly labeled anywhere. Is this it?

+3.3V@24A,+5V@24A,+12V1@17A,
+12V2@17A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@2.5A

I read something about you're supposed to add the amps, so that should be enough, right? The card wants 26amps/400watts. I'm wondering since taking out the 9800GT stops the buzzing if I should get like a 700w one.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Edit after above edit: Yeah, returning it sounds like a good idea. If the replacement still buzzes I'll opt for a higher wattage.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 29, 2009 6:14 am

Good 500w PSU is more than enough for 9800gt well it aint anything else than good 'ol 8800 :P
Well I got antec 550w and atm with 1 3870 though I could run two of em in CR... Maybe there's something wrong with it return it to shop and tell em to check it out and give new one.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:19 am

Update - It turns out it wasn't enough. Not because of the wattage - because of the amps. Apparently, adding up the amps across all the 12v rails for the total is not true - each rail is limited to what it says, so even with a 500 watt power supply, the graphics card was still asking for almost double the amps that the power supply was rated for!

Solution - when shopping for power supplies, make sure to check the amps needed for the card, and get a power supply with ONE 12v rail.

Here's the reading for anyone who wants to understand everything about power supplies - and really, it's important: http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=52054
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:32 pm

Adding amps together across rails DOES work, and IS true, if you buy a premium supply, since the rails are BRIDGED.

Cheap power supplies have separate rails, if they even have multiple rails...

At least you figured it out. As I keep saying to people, Watts don't mean JACK... it's all about the AMPS!

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic