New Website Ideas

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:36 pm

It's a good idea, but without a "game section" type of functionality I have hard to see what the use for it would be. Maybe focus on it later on?
B
G

Post » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm not sure if C2 will ever have a multiplayer option (I'd love one!), but you could rent out a small amount of server space and bandwidth for users to test out the multiplayer options.

Users who don't have a server can create a game or try out the function without having to rent a whole server and setting up the whole thing. (And for testing purposes, they don't need a lot of server bandwidth and space and probably don't need to connect more than 2 computers).

In return, you could ask for a monthly fee or something like that.

The profile idea sounds pretty good. It'd also be a good idea to show off a few awesome games made with C2. To give people an idea of what they can do with the engine.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:47 pm

Server software hosting (+ client management) could be a killer feature but sounds seriously hard to pull off well and secure. Hats off if you find a way to do it
B
G

Post » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:49 pm

Made the whole site with Construct 2!
Or, at least, the frontend :D

That'll be an awesome promotion for the engine ^^
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:56 pm

I think easy multi player games are one of the most exciting potential features for C2. A service to rent out multi player, or even host services for multi player requests, is one that we will consider when multi player is more supported by C2.

I don't like the idea of charging people to test it out, so if possible we will have some tools so you cant test it for free (think of an exe you can just run on your home PC that acts as a very simple server). I'll talk to Ash and have a think about that!
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:02 pm

I'd love to see users game ratings and reviews and if it's possible, to use only one account for all, chat, forum, wiki, page etc.

[quote="Tom":6ddxnfwp]One idea I had people might like, is allowing users to pick subdomains. So for example, Tom.Scirra.com will point directly to your profile which eventually will be extensive and link to all your games and websites etc. It could be optional, you don't have to have one, but generally do people like this idea?[/quote:6ddxnfwp]
I like this, there could be a "cooperation" status button that could be turned red for busy or green for open, and maybe a rank which could be raised by helping the community - writing game reviews, tutorials, wiki entries, posts on the forum..
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:25 pm

[quote="Noga":3ear249t]I'd love to see users game ratings and reviews and if it's possible, to use only one account for all, chat, forum, wiki, page etc.[/quote:3ear249t]

I've been working really hard on this, we're actually using a different forum for technical reasons on the new site, but I've managed to import all threads/posts to the new one, create permanent redirects from old URL's to new ones, and also saved all user accounts (which was tricky!)

So on the new site, you have one login, for forum, blog comments, reviews, everything! I hate disconnected user systems so have worked hard to make the 1 login for everything. So, your current username/password on this forum will automatically work on the new site, and all your posts will be transferred over as well.

I don't think PM's, polls etc are going to transfer over, so you should be aware of this if you have anything important in them.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:27 pm

[quote:17gq1jmy]Made the whole site with Construct 2!

That'll be an awesome promotion for the engine ^^[/quote:17gq1jmy]
Not that much of a promotion, and it would be unsupported on mobile devices and anything that doesn't use HTML 5. It would also be slower and harder to promote.

I like the idea of having subdomains, but I use GM so you don't have to listed to me.

I would love to see some blogs. Then I would actually be able to follow what goes on in the Scirra community. I'm a GM user and I don't want to look around the forums to know what's going on, but I'm still interested in what happens around here.
B
G

Post » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:37 pm

[quote="mrme":2kp5bqkt][quote:2kp5bqkt]Made the whole site with Construct 2!

That'll be an awesome promotion for the engine ^^[/quote:2kp5bqkt]
Not that much of a promotion, and it would be unsupported on mobile devices and anything that doesn't use HTML 5. It would also be slower and harder to promote.

I like the idea of having subdomains, but I use GM so you don't have to listed to me.

I would love to see some blogs. Then I would actually be able to follow what goes on in the Scirra community. I'm a GM user and I don't want to look around the forums to know what's going on, but I'm still interested in what happens around here.[/quote:2kp5bqkt]

Making a website in C2, although probably possible to some degree would generally be a bad idea, as there a lot of design considerations/nuances in web design that need to be handled in a hands on sort of way.

I've talked to Ash, and we both think there is a lot of great content we can write in the blogs about the industry, C2 development, things we see in the community, so hopefully it will be a blog people will actually read :) We'll make sure it's frequently updated as well, nothing worse than a barren blog.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Don't feel forced to blog. Quality over quantity ;)
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General