Nice article - Science explains why mario runs left to right

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:14 am

Today morning going thru the news and this news attracted me, it made me think what human thinks naturally and that shows in gaming as well.

Paragraph from article :
Mario didn’t just want to run to the right just because he had an insatiable curiosity about what existed on the far side of your vintage Nintendo Game Boy. He was programmed to run forever to the right because that’s the way gamers’ brains like it, a new study surfaced by Gizmodo suggests .....

Here is the source :

http://time.com/3745935/mario-left-right/
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:59 am

I would have thought it was because adding something to the right would have been simpler if the origin is at the top left corner at first, however that would not surprise me, it seems we like to have progression to the right, be it with most maths graphs (origin is generally centered, and abscisses increases to the right), or some languages (read from left to right).

I did try a reversed mario level once, it felt weird I will admit.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:40 am

@Aphrodite..... give a try.... its all about how we want to see ... may be right(correct) and it is natural...
B
S
G

Return to Open Topic