No More Probes - Survival/RTS - [Greenlit]

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:40 pm

@atomoso

Cool cool, I'll redownload it after I get back from work.
B
S

Post » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:09 pm

Nice piece of art!
and also a fun way to face an apocalypse
Open for Commission, contact email > [email protected]

my personal website with news in my game developer adventure! |

adult ( 18) pixel art games
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:18 pm

I really like the look and feel you've got going here. I'm just a bit confused how to get those gadgets up and running. Being forced to stand still while constructing instead of still being able to manoeuvre is the bane in my hobo engineer existence :P

That or I'm doing something wrong here...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:27 pm

Just arrived here, this is excellent, great art style, but has some design issues.

First, as everyone mentioned, the game isn't intuitive at all. And forget about that Controls screen. You need to design a whole level (or several) explaining the mechanics of the game. While I like to discover mechanics, some of them aren't intuitive at all. I'm using a gamepad, besides.

One suggestion could be showing the (A) button when you're on top of Junk, so the player knows he can scavenge it.
You can also throw some text hints on the HUD (per example, when you've got enough Junk, you can show a text "Now you have enough to build your first turret, that will kill those bastards!")
You can imagine the rest, let the game teach the user, not otherwise.

Another suggestion might be take care with the language. You're doing an art style which is a bit "childish" (just a bit) so when the character says "FOCK OFF" it's a bit dissonant. Either balance the language or the art (I'd say the language is easier =P)

But then again, I can see the scope of this game, and I like where it's going. Good luck, mate!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:29 pm

notnsane wrote:One suggestion could be showing the (A) button when you're on top of Junk, so the player knows he can scavenge it.
You can also throw some text hints on the HUD (per example, when you've got enough Junk, you can show a text "Now you have enough to build your first turret, that will kill those bastards!")
You can imagine the rest, let the game teach the user, not otherwise.

QFE! This is probably the best advice for any game designer, games need to be intuitive. Learn by play so to speak
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:20 pm

@Inversion
Cool, let me know what you think about it.

@gillenew
Hehehehe, thanks.

@Kouji San
This one is a design decision as I want the game to be a survival at heart. You have to find time and space to be able to build or get hit by a robot and do it anyway. Thanks for playing!

@notnsane
I have to agree with you on all points. The bad language is not needed, and as pointed below I have addressed that. I am still pondering on where to stop on that. Comedy + cartoon + gore can lead to some very interesting results. Think "Mars Attacks!" comics. Thanks for writing all that suggestions. As you will see I have already implemented some of them, but the rest will come to.

Once again thank you all for playing the game.
Now here is what has changed in version 1.22.02

- you can now scavenge junk parts more easily as the radius is increased from 30 to 40

- the game won't charge you bellow 0 processors if you mash the repair button over a sentry

- you can now cancel a Build order ( 'B' on gamepad, "Esc" on keyboard ), but still can't move while building

- bad language removed from the game and replaced with other phrases. updated some of them to sound better

- you won't need to turn back on the generator once you have reached energy above 0. It will turn On automatically

- when a PopNut Sentry is ready to be placed the slots will shine letting you know where you can put it

- the main protagonist will let you know when there is no Energy in the generator

- the main protagonist will say how to charge it if you are near it and it has no energy

- he will also let you know how you can gather junk parts if you are at 0

- the hero will let you know when you can build a gadget

- fixed a bug where the game won't show you the controls when using a gameplad

- "Stage 1" will show at level 1 instead of "Tutorial"

Anyway the latest build is 1.22.02 Please let me know what you think about the changes.

Btw I am not sure why, but my browser keeps forgetting to get the new version of the build and I have to refresh the page a couple of time before it do. Does anyone know a work around that?
B
S

Post » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:59 pm

atomoso wrote:@Kouji San
This one is a design decision as I want the game to be a survival at heart. You have to find time and space to be able to build or get hit by a robot and do it anyway. Thanks for playing!

Fair enough and I definitely like that idea, but right now it's not clear how long it would take to construct it. That was my pet peeve with it :P

Also I'm not sure why it is happening, but sometimes you keep on walking on auto pilot, when releasing the movement keys. Mostly when rapidly spamming WASD to evade the enemies. Spamming the WASD keys some more gives you back control, it's fairly easy to reproduce
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:38 am

Pretty good game, once you polish up the programming a bit it will be great.

I did have one match where I started with negative junk. I am not sure if this is a design feature or a bug. I died while building something the round before, and I believe it probably had something to do with that.

On one other instance, I had 37 junk, when I attempted to build it told me that I needed negative one junk. When attempted to build about 10 seconds later it worked. I might have been seeing things, but I am pretty sure that is what it said.

A small grace-period when probes spawn would be nice. I had one spawn within about 30-40 pixels and took damage immediately.

Wouldn't mind a bit of a glow on the probes at night as well. It was hard to locations of new probes when they spawned. I am so-so on this opinion, but at the very least you should weigh the options.

A small health bar or notification for the turrets would be nice, it was hard to tell if they were damaged.

Like most of the others said, tool-tips would go a very long way to improve the game-play.

A few other thoughts in the form of pictures:

NMP-C3.png

NMP-C2.png

NMP-C1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S

Post » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:40 am

Figured out one of the control screen bugs.

NMP-C4.png

If you would like me to clarify anything I mentioned, just give me a heads up. Keep up the good work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S

Post » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Lol disregard my previous comment about it taking to long to build, APPARENTLY you need to press space to place the structure and the actual construction takes 3 taps on the anvil. Here's what happened, why it drew that conclusion :D

Once I'd constructed the turret (tapping 1, when I had enough resources) I proceeded to the turret platforms where the blue(green) print snaps in place, and pressed 1 again, I was in build mode once more. Banging away with the hammer on the anvil and not being able to move. I was under the impression this is where he was erecting the structure, just lacking a build progress indicator (what with being alpha and all). But as you can guess, it took forever and by the time I thought was a reasonable construction time, the drones were already knocking on the door (killing me). Basically you are stuck in build mode forever.

^bug :P
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests