No name Isometric RTS

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:39 pm

Not much really at this point, but I thought I could start devlog sort of thing from this.

At this point you can build two buildings, Command Center and Factory. From Command Center you can build Workers to build more stuff. Factory doesn't do anything yet.

Some possible features:

-You can make layouts for your units before mach start. About six different layouts for infantry, light vehicles, heavy vehicles, planes and defencive structures. Possibly ships. You could chose the base frames, main weapons, sub weapons, some special abilities (EMP), extra armor etc. This will then determine how much your unit costs in the game and what tech does it reguire.

-Possibly limited resources for the units so it would be usefull to have some supply units with the army.

-Two mineral manage. Power from factorys and one mining mineral.

-Call the powerful Command ship to the battle and if that is destroyed it is instant lose.

-Multiplayer even if it takes 100 years to implement.

-AI player

-Branching singleplayer campain.

-Level/mission editor.

Some controls:

arrows or window border to scroll camera
mouse does various things

for performance debug:

F = toggle fog
T = bit more realistic group movement
R = animations
Z = Zorder
Q = Full screen scale quality

Final game will be exported with Node-webkit so chrome is best options to test.

Try here
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:21 pm

Looks very good. Not much to do in the demo but it all worked
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:35 am

Love the way you made them move in formation!!

How did you do it? :p Boids?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:27 am

@mrnannings, workers still sometimes don't get picked quite right and that building in general needs a bit improvement.

@Silverforce, It is almost the same as in RTS template.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:39 pm

Looks nice so far. I am currently working on an diablo-like game and have to deal with isometric/dimetric views too.

Couldn't figure out how to build a building. If it is already integrated how did you solve that soldiers can run around buildings? I am going to try it with an array and to put all relevant objects (with ID/UID) and their Y into an array and sort them. Hope this is not going to cost much performance.

Cool Idea so far. Keep going. First time I see something like this made with construct2.

Cheers
Marco
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:30 pm

@MACPK, If you mean where they go when they are ordered to build. The building has variable how many workers are on the job and image points with numbers for all the possible workers and when they are ordered to the site it loops them through and they find path to basically variable.workers+loopindex (don't know if that explained anyhing). However if you have a lot of workers selected it doesn't always work too well. I already rebuild the whole system once and maybe have to do it again at somepoint. Similar system to c&c would have been much easier to do, but I guess I want to struggle with this :)

Would be nice to see how that Diablo-like game is working out.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:23 am

This looks really cool!

I had some trouble scrolling up with my mouse (Chrome 33 on Win8.1) - but was able to use keyboard.

Is there a tutorial on building isometric RTS? I'm currently playing with the RTS template which is top down.

What did you use to create your building and character sprites?

Anyway - this is super cool, keep it up
B
S

Post » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:49 am

@jwoods, Actually I usually have mouse scrolling disabled begause it gets annoying on debugging and I forgot to activate move up and noticed when it was already here. Well I was just too lazy to re export :)
Is there a tutorial on building isometric RTS?

To my knowledge no, but try searching isometric and you will find something.
What did you use to create your building and character sprites?

Blender. I am learning to use that better. It isn't as hard as I remember. Also with cycles render I don't think I ever need another 3d program.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:01 pm

Looks really nice! works fine at this point! congrats :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:41 pm

You have me excited about using Construct for a couple of ISO game ideas floating in my head. Nice job!
B
S
G

Next

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests