No Programming Required!???

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:14 pm

There's certainly no traditional programming required, as in typing in scripts that are run through a compiler or interpreter. That is what "no programming required" is intended to mean. However in the very general sense of programming being a sequence of instructions for a computer, events probably do qualify as that. But they're so different to the traditional approach that I think it's a fair statement.

Sometimes people come to the product expecting there to be built-in features exactly covering the specific requirements of their own game, or tutorials covering the same. There are so many different kinds of things you can make that it is nearly impossible to cover everything anyone could ever want. So we cover the basic general-purpose features, and you build the rest yourself. You still have to think about how to put it together, but IMO that makes it a more interesting product, because it's not a stamp-out-slightly-modified-versions-of-some-templates tool, it lets you build genuinely original stuff.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:50 pm

zenox98, newt and Ashley are right. Maybe "No programming <code> required" could be less confusing.
But truth be told I found some tutorial games which are very playable and addictive without a single event, only
behaviors. And some more complex ones with maybe less than 10 conditions.

In C++ and other languages, unless you use a specific library, you'd have to write tons of code for moving a square inside
a black window. The event editor abstract this complexity although it may be considered programming.
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:05 pm

You are naive to think that you would not have to think like a programmer in order to make videogames. Having a critical thinking mind to make games is vital. You have to think out of the box, bend your mind in order to create what is in your head.

If you think it's too hard to create your imagination, then give up. If you wanna think hard, work hard, and create games, you have the ability to do so.

Construct 2 gives the developer a easy way to organize their thoughts with the visual programming aspect. It holds your hand and guides you, the more you get into game development, the more you can get out of it.

Also, you have a problem with learning? You quite literally just said: "takes TONS of programming that you'll have to LEARN here." Learning is a great thing,
Risk Rocket now available on Google Play
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:01 pm

I think most of what I wanted to say is already said...

But I see Construct 2 coding as game logic coding... not as real coding... because I don't need to know any of the technical names...
(Which is much easier then coding a game legit)
Eat ALL THE BACON!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:30 pm

The way I look at "No programming required" is that you don't have to learn a programming language to use Construct 2. The best advice I got when I started was to start small and make very simple projects at first to get familiar with construct 2. There are tons of good tutorials out there on youtube and some really great ones on udemy.com if you want to invest in it. Tutorials has been my main source of knowledge since I'm a very visual learner.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:02 am

"Computer programming (often shortened to programming) is a process that leads from an original formulation of a computing problem to executable computer programs." - Some Wikipedia thing .

You never, ever, EVER, do that when you are making games in Construct 2.... EVER!!

When i make a game, it just flows from my soul, into the keyboard. No need for flowcharts, or designing software. I just close my eyes and it all just happens. I drink my coffee and the universe empowers me.

Construct 2 makes this all possible. I never program... ever.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:28 am

I've made numerous construct games with no coding.... Can't really see OPs point of view. Kind of seems like OP is stuck, upset, or thought he code make a game like halo overnight.

You need to start small and work your way up. I'm sure you did not master making assets overnight. Construct is no different. Flappy bird you can make in minutes, but more advanced games take learning. No programming does not mean no learning required.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:13 am

I've programmed for years, on mainframes, on unix boxes, and on windows platforms... C,C++,BASIC, FORTRAN, etc...

I consider C2 coding.. high level, but it's still coding.

you have to understand basic coding structure and practices. You have to understand the concept of a game loop. If you don't understand then sure you can make very basic games but you will have a difficulty doing anything advanced.

C2 will turn you into a coder, so have patience and have fun!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:49 am

jobel wrote:C2 will turn you into a coder, so have patience and have fun!

Very true.

After years of struggling with a few flavors of BASIC, pascal, python, and Logo (lol) . I finally came a cross C2. There was no "Hello world" to start out and that was what really hooked me.

I got brave and learned C#, and now C2 is even easier for me. The else statements make much more sense. The function return values where no longer a mystery. I can read a theory on stackOverflow.com and apply it to both C2 and Unity.

It is sort of ironic it is marketed as something that would prevent anyone from coding, yet it makes the non-coders want to code. It makes the code a little more De-Coded, if that makes any sense.

I suggest this to anyone who has had problems with learning programming in the past. It will keep them interested enough to keep on learning and trying.

i dont think anyone really took the "Games without programming" thing serious. i know I did not. It is just common sense. Computers do not have telepathy to get my ideas yet.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:31 pm

Well, I knew no programming whatsoever when I started. And I've made some fun stuff, simple, but fun, more than just flappy stuff. Construct has actually helped teach me how some programming works, logically.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General