No Stretch?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:49 pm

I'm just curious, is there a reason we don't have a simple 'stretch' fullscreen scaling option? Both Scale Outer and Scale Inner provide unwanted results depending on the devices you have not targeted. I feel a simple scale (height AND width) to fit the display would suffice for a wide range of applications.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:00 pm

for wide range of application use Letterbox scale
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:48 pm

TwinTails wrote:I'm just curious, is there a reason we don't have a simple 'stretch' fullscreen scaling option? Both Scale Outer and Scale Inner provide unwanted results depending on the devices you have not targeted. I feel a simple scale (height AND width) to fit the display would suffice for a wide range of applications.

One of the reason I heard was because It'll be ugly (which is mostly true, with a lot of different aspect ratios, the stretch can be really annoying), apart from that I don't know if there is another reason.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:53 pm

Naji wrote:for wide range of application use Letterbox scale

I already use letterbox scale, but I'd rather not have black bars on my games!

Aphrodite wrote:One of the reason I heard was because It'll be ugly (which is mostly true, with a lot of different aspect ratios, the stretch can be really annoying), apart from that I don't know if there is another reason.

Indeed, I can see how that would be an issue, especially for a mobile-designed game displayed on a desktop, but what about games that will be targeted only for mobile devices?

My first released game was created using another engine and the scaling works fantastically on the different devices I tested (Phones + Tablets).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:05 pm

@TwinTails I personnally design them with scale outer or scale inner, with the anchor behaviour placing or streching elements relative to the corner of the screen
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Return to Construct 2 General