Node-webkit & Construct 2

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:36 pm

Does this use directx? lols, that was so annoying with Construct Classic, had to install directx on every computer for it to work.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 pm

[QUOTE=alspal] Does this use directx? lols, that was so annoying with Construct Classic, had to install directx on every computer for it to work.[/QUOTE]

@alspal Most AAA games use DirectX, otherwise this download file doesn't include DirectX and i run this game very fine, it looks like it's using OpenGL
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:43 pm

@alspal

I don't think so, but for some graphic cards two dll's form direct x are needed. I believe if you can run chrome & webgl in it on your computer, this should work too!
Be nice until it's time to not be nice
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:47 pm

[QUOTE=JohnnySheffield] @Joannesalfa

"is possible to make external data using node-webkit to load resource files?"

I don't understand, could you explain? But if chromium or node.js can do what you want, in theory node-webkit should make it happen!

As for the size, i think we cant get it under 48 mb beacuse the nw.exe, .dll's and .pak file are that size. If you add your own .nw file it can only go up! It's an issue, i know.

But we can't expect for it to be small, it's an .exe with node and chromium included so it must be big. Also size is not an issue beacuse it's an .exe, not a mobile game![/QUOTE]

@JohnnySheffield

Well, what if the complex game is more than 100 mb? it could take a lot of time to startup.

It would be nice if the dependencies would separate from the EXE like chromium binary and some DLLs, the startup could load external resource files like Awesomium does.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:54 pm

@Joannesalfa

Ok, i see what you mean but that's currently out of my league...

We must consider that node-webkit is 0.3.5 version and little over a year old. I hope it will get better in time!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:31 am

I have to say that the performance of the game is more than acceptable.

How it could be improved:
Fullscreen, no chrome [window borders]
Mouse capture / hide / replace cursor
Custom icon on windowed game [not the HTML5 logo]
Leaner exe with separate data files
Cruft removal from exe [unused icons and cursors]

And that would be just about the only criticisms. I don't know if these are inherent compiler or designer issues. Maybe a combination of both ;)

If these issues are forced through the codebase... maybe someone, more clever than I, would see fit to contribute to (or fork) the project to address some of these points.

Thanks, JohnnySheffield, for making your experiment available for us to scrutinize.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:37 am

Fullscreen, no chrome [window borders] - i'll release a plugin in a few hours with this possibility sorted out

Custom icon on windowed game [not the HTML5 logo] - edit the package.json to achieve this

----
Leaner exe with separate data files
Cruft removal from exe [unused icons and cursors]
Mouse capture / hide / replace cursor
---- me if i know :) ------

B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:51 am

Okay... I used ResourceHacker to strip out the play buttons and closed captioned sign and the Visa and Mastercard logos and about 150 more unnecessary graphics bundled in the exe. Shrank the file size by 354K. Plays fine.

In the grand scheme of things going from 38,896KB down to 38,551KB ain't really that much of a victory, but nice to know you can do it, if you're a control freak like myself ;P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:11 am

Plugin "finished", you can download the plugin here

and find more info on the plugin here

Download demo with some of the functionality here

This plugin is for the basic stuff, window size, title, clipboard, etc...

Hopefully i'll get some time these days to dig in deeper and write some node.js module plugin for construct, i'm thingkin fs, to get access to local files, but maybe go for socket.io server side to get some multiplayer stuff rolling in the construct 2. It's nice to dream... :D

Please test, post your ideas and anything that crosses your mind!

Cheers! JohnnySheffield2012-12-06 04:24:36
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Playing with it now. Thanks for sharing
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General