Noob & Screen sizes

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:27 pm

@Brian:
PLEASE take my advice, I beg you:
If you are a total noob and NOT very into coding, then don't go for a "cross platform multi i-can-do-everything" game that runs in EVERY resolution/aspect ratio.
START SIMPLE!

The worst decision any hobby coder / game developer can make is going for a project with too large scale.
Try something easy. REALLY easy!!
Start off by programming a calculator, re-code tetris (if you don't want to publish it it's no problem), or re-code Pong.
There are several advantages of that:
1. You'll learn while you only focus on the problems of the code/the engine, without worrying about the game design / fun facts / graphics.
2. You'll have fast success feelings.
3. You learn about yourself: Is this really the right thing for you? Are you motivated long or enough, or did you only think it would be cool, but are annoyed after 2 days?
4. ...that should be enough already.

Only use placeholder graphics. Play with blocks, blobs and triangles. Don't spend 90% of your time searching high quality graphics/drawing them yourself.

If you have acquired some experience, THEN you can start with cross platform/multi platform.
B

Post » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:05 pm

@Aeris85

Thank you so much for your post.

Thats exactly what we want to do, but as our objective is to develop games for mobile devices, I thought that we should know how to configure our "very simple games" so we can check our developments in mobile devices.
B

Post » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:18 pm

@BrianOD @nutmix this is just a C2 problem due loading the entire game on memory at start.
I came to the same problemand asked the same.

@Ashley said that loading layouts on memory on demand is on the C2 TO DO list.

For now this is a big problem for my project. So I'm waiting this feature :)GamerGon2012-09-17 16:18:39
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:18 pm

However, I'd start by developing a simple iPod game. So take 480x320 resolution (3:2 aspect ratio). Or retina resolution (iPod 4th generation) with 960x640 (same aspect ratio, only 2x each side).
Don't worry about iPad, other aspect ratios on Android, and so on.

In fact, it's not even that bad to restrict yourself to that. iPod apps can be successfull enough, there are various apps that were/are iPod exclusive. It's not necceassary to develop for Android/iPad as well.
B

Post » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:27 pm

@Aeris85 @GamerGon

Thank you for your assistance.
B

Post » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Hello, I am a beginner with c2. I am making a little game to Iphone/Ipad and Android.

I can't fit (without gaps in the corners) the game to multiple screen size with HUD, background and some object..
I am using the bigger mobile size (IPAD 3: 2048 x 1536) and full screen scale mode, acording the multiple screen size post..
Can you provide a SOLID example?

Thanks!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:58 pm

@dusoft remember that C2 is not magic. You have to decide for yourself what you want, then tell C2 how to do it. For instance, you have to consider the consequences of supporting multiple resolutions, which can be more convoluted than you think, and heavily relies on the individual game.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:53 pm

@sqiddster you are right, it's not easy, but I don't know how to start?..I am searching a basic platform example (like mario bros) that run on multiple device, initially playable on android or iphone devices, that have "similar" screen size, Ipad can wait..

Thanks for your fast reply..

NOTE: I play your game is excelent, good work!

Regards!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:57 pm

@dusoft I guess it really depends on your HUD, and if your platformer is scrolling or single-screen. Single screen will be a bit trickier, but scrolling shouldn't be too difficult.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:33 pm

hey guys. i struggle at the same problem. i have been searching the forum for quite a time now but didn't really end up with a solution. I was wondering if there was any way in C2 to change the dpi of the layout. i assume this would be very helpful because the actual screen size in centimeters of the iPhone 3 and 4 are the same. retina displays just have more pixels per inch. so if we could change the amount of pixel per inch displayed maybie we could achieve a good way to deploy our games to different iOS Devices. Are my thoughts even correct? The most people think that dpi is just for printing, but i guess it's not.
btw .. it would be very helpful if any of you could do a Tutorial about the screen sizes especially for iDevices, explaining all that mess with aspect ratio and so on..
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to How do I....?