Normal maps and opacity

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Fri May 15, 2009 2:36 am

Not sure what's causing this, but normal maps lit at certain angles don't seem to like having transparent pixels. If you move the mouse to the corners (or beyond) in the example .cap, you'll see it pretty strongly. It seems to happen closer to the source at lower Z angles, so I could circumvent it by increasing the Z height depending on XY distance, which would actually be a nice 3D effect... but I'm still curious if this is a bug, something I've done wrong, or just inherent.

I guess I should also say that light positions can't be checked at runtime, otherwise it would be easier to investigate. In the end, there are ways around it, including just not using transparency; it's just weird and undesirable; if there's some solution, that would be awesome.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 15, 2009 3:25 am

it's the tint plus
take is off and it doesn't do it anymore

if you're intent on using the tintplus, a workaround would be to have copies of the objects in the exact same spots with the mask effect on, that would make those parts invisible, but you'd have to have them on a separate layer from other objects that might move into the small mask area

btw, I like the look of it, what did you use to generate the bumpmap?
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 15, 2009 3:55 am

It still does it even with just the 'bumpmapping' effect.

I created the normal map the same way any other normal map for a 3D model is created: baked from a highpoly model to a low, in this case just a plane. Thanks, I am interested in seeing how normal maps can be used in a 2D game... if only transparency were fully functional, you know?

And thanks again! Mask object, that's what I was looking for. It wasn't opacity, wasn't alpha testing... masking, duh.

Uh... how's the mask effect work? It must be something completely counterintuitive; I think I've tried every combination of white, black, transparency and 'activate mask'.

edit: Nevermind, got it. Didn't even need a mask effect object, just had to enable 'force own texture' on the layer. Success!
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 15, 2009 5:18 am

Doing some other tests, I find it can be used to create a cool sort of 'wash' effect over isolated objects - since the light is a point light after all, not directional...
I think that's where I misunderstood.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 15, 2009 11:54 am

im not at home, on a short break at work, viewing this from my cell phone, but you can sort of simulate a directional light with masking

search forum for the word bumpy
and check out my bumpy light cone for an example of fake directional lighting.
cant check out your caps on my cell though

ill check those later today
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 16, 2009 6:15 pm

Thanks lucid, and nice example, but it's actually not at all what I meant.

Still no answer on whether or not this is something that can be fixed, the transparency not staying transparent at a certain combination of values, I will instead ask, is it possible to create a game with collision detection and interaction between objects, basically a normal game, with every sprite (or group of non-overlapping sprites) on its own layer? Seems like the only way to have a fully normal mapped game at this point.

If it's nothing to the engine so long as layer orders are correct, I guess that's fine, even if it means creating a new layer for each character, every branch of a tree.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 16, 2009 10:22 pm

I guess I've never tried to use an alpha masked bumpmap before
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 17, 2009 2:31 am

I hope I'm not being rude to anyone here. The lack of response is sort of troubling. Thanks again for all your suggestions lucid. Maybe you're familiar with this new problem now? Sorry to be so full of questions... but since Construct is still mostly undocumented and in beta, I don't see the harm in putting problems out there. Maybe I'm not getting much of a response because this is in Uploads rather then Tech Support...

I've decided, for the sake of greater visuals and better performance, to bake all the dynamic lighting to canvas at the start of every level. Everything was going beautifully, until I found that canvas objects cannot be anything other than the screen resolution when dropping these sort of effects to them. (If this isn't a known fact, just try resizing one of the canvas objects in this cap and running it.) This was fine, I just resized the level and did an array past of canvases. Easy.

However, it's only baking to the first two... I wonder why?

Edit: This is interesting - if I set the layer's zoom (before running/compiling) so that it will all fit on the screen, it catches everything. If any bit of the third canvas object is off screen at startup, it ditches the whole thing. I guess I could start zoomed way out and just set it to zoom back in at the end of baking... but I have no idea how to check if it's done. Setting it to zoom back in at the press of a button when I can see that it's loaded completely works.

Edit2: Got it. With Layer 2 set to 1% zoom in the editor, set it back to 100 with an Else + Trigger once beneath the "for each" event... apparently posting a question gives me a boost to figure it out on my own real quick. /eyeroll
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 17, 2009 4:08 am

I don't see the effect. :s

Then again, it seems my computer has issues with Canvas
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 17, 2009 4:45 am

Yeah, they seem almost unpredictable. I messed with my layout width some more and wound up with nothing again. Or it would bake to the second canvas but zoomed out to 100% whereas the rest of the layer was at 10%... that and it just takes forever to render out more than three canvases (and it doesn't even work in the end).

The confusion this causes is discouraging, so I guess it's time to take a break. And either completely redesign what I had in mind for level size or just scrap this method entirely.

Or, you know, just not use normal maps. There's got to be a more efficient way to generate this sort of static imagery at runtime though, will just have to figure it out I guess.

Sucks that your computer can't run it, that's pretty weird. I got a 3x2 level working, which I think is more than enough to create a small prototype/demo game in. If I want to do a larger project, I'll just stick to a flat graphical style; it's probably my own fault for trying to make Construct do things it wasn't meant to do. No hard feelings, in the end.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Your tutorials & example files