Normal maps and opacity

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Sun May 17, 2009 4:45 am

Yeah, they seem almost unpredictable. I messed with my layout width some more and wound up with nothing again. Or it would bake to the second canvas but zoomed out to 100% whereas the rest of the layer was at 10%... that and it just takes forever to render out more than three canvases (and it doesn't even work in the end).

The confusion this causes is discouraging, so I guess it's time to take a break. And either completely redesign what I had in mind for level size or just scrap this method entirely.

Or, you know, just not use normal maps. There's got to be a more efficient way to generate this sort of static imagery at runtime though, will just have to figure it out I guess.

Sucks that your computer can't run it, that's pretty weird. I got a 3x2 level working, which I think is more than enough to create a small prototype/demo game in. If I want to do a larger project, I'll just stick to a flat graphical style; it's probably my own fault for trying to make Construct do things it wasn't meant to do. No hard feelings, in the end.
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 17, 2009 9:22 am

actually, I think it is partially because it's in uploads instead of help
this community actually gets complimented on it's responsiveness/helpfulness all the time
if you find you're not getting any responses even in the help section
it's usually a bug you're reporting and you can just report it to the bug tracker

I actually can't say anything too helpful at the moment, because I'm a little busy
but I will say this for you to take into consideration, and maybe it will help

the canvas takes up vram like a sprite, so if you make the canvas the size of the screen, it will be like trying to have a full screen sprite. if you have several, it will probably run on your or my machine, but not on a lot of others

also, I could be wrong because I thought I had taken care of it before, but it really seems to be working
I filled in the transparent areas of your bamboo normal map with black
I know that's not how normal maps are supposed to work
but try this :

[url:1bsnog6o]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1013446/bamboozle.cap[/url:1bsnog6o]

I haven't looked in detail what the separate normal maps are for, but the far right one is still doing it, but none of the other bamboo sticks, I can't get the glitch to show up.

as for the other weird canvas issues, I'll have to have a look at those tomorrow maybe.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 17, 2009 4:37 pm

The glitch isn't going to show up in that .cap because force own texture is enabled on the layer; the far right column is just a way to see what the normal maps are doing, and it (intentionally) will show the transparency bug even with that setting enabled. Also, with the first (yellow-tinted) normal map, the black definitely seemed promising at first, but essentially you just turned it off. :P Turning up the intensity makes it come back.

I'm basically using two normal maps here, the second one the inverse direction of the first one, so that I can control shadow/ambient color as well as the color of the "light". I thought it would be cool for a scaling daytime effect, even in the case of when I was dropping the effect to canvases. (In that case, I would simply set up the atmosphere and daylight before loading.)

Weird that canvases don't work with these things at any resolution other than full screen then; that is the only way I could get them to paste the normal map effects without offsetting them inexplicably. Even if it's just a little bit off proportion of the screen, it messes up.

I can see this working for a smaller-level'd game then, that's at a low resolution and only one screen per room... as it is I'm not set on making a game that uses many canvases or uses lots of realtime bumpmapping, these are however bug-like behaviours I have encountered, though like many others who do receive response in this section I am simply not sure if they are, in fact, fixable bugs, or not. There are always ways to work around them!

Thanks for looking at this with me; I think perhaps the main problem here is that Construct's use of normal maps is intended to be minimal, and I'm trying to make a graphically intensive game with it; it's a shame this doesn't really work as expected, but you know, I can just as easily create a game with raster graphics, all baked lighting, and if it means more people will be able to play it (seems common for people here to have outdated hardware?) then I guess that's fine. :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:53 am

it's probably better to write a special shader for the effect you want, since it's very specific and hard to emulate using existing effects.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Your tutorials & example files