Not using CS 0.X anymore for big projects.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
With this template you will learn how to use the GooglePlay Games native plugin
  • Ive decided not to use any 0.x versions of construct anymore.Reason : It just cannot handle a big Project.The app is very easy and seriously powerful ,But it's breaks way too much.I thinks it's the Events.Its like building a house of cards and when the slightest problem or conflict arises then the whole thing comes crashing down.

Im not bashing CS in any way.It's great for creating small projects like my Retron game which uses minimal events and sprites.I have Almost completed my long awaited game Called Wolfen, And then it happened ,The whole house of cards came tumbling down.It crashes ,It goes haywire with collision etc etc.. .I know i shouldn't moan about a beta program , But it's just very sad and frustrating when all that hard work comes crashing down.

I made backups off previous builds of Wolfen but building everything from scratch again?.Ive learned my lesson this time.Big projects needs stable apps.

• Unfortunately that is the risk when you build a project in a beta application, I'm sorry you've been having difficulties.

A lot has been learnt since building and developing Construct 1, Construct 2 is going to be more powerful, more modular and a lot more stable.

• Ive been playing around with CS2 and even at this early stage it looks 1000 times more stable.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • We did recognise the stability as one of the big failings in 0.x which was also part of the reason to start fresh with C2. As always, if you have problems in C2, let us know and we'll get right on it

• Is all this happening with C1 .97?

I Guess I'm gonna have to use another game maker for my projects in the meantime my games I want to create are big, full games with a load of maps/levels not some small games, seeing as C1 is just bad when it comes to big games, so I think I'l wait until C2 have enough resources, events and actions til you can make a full game then.

• Have you actually tried Construct LavaWave? It is not nearly as bad as DravenX makes it out to be.

• I did and it did crash on me on certain occasions, and I believe it's not only DravenX that said it crashes with big full games, please don't take my comment above as a matter to hurt Construct 1, I don't but my games I am creating are not prototypes or small games, now I've seen small incomplete games with it with impressive details and so on and atleast one person managed to do a full game with it (the guy who created phenominom 32) but it crashed on him alot in the end, I will use C2 when it will be complete enough to have actions, events and usability to make a full game.

• If you learn what crashes and bugs, you can work around them to release a stable game. But it of course takes time for trial and error.

• [quote:31wxv0x7]Have you actually tried Construct LavaWave? It is not nearly as bad as DravenX makes it out to be.

Let it go Steven,Even Ashley admitted that 0.x just don't cut it when it comes to big projects.Try creating a fully animated character with CS 0.x It chokes up.Fully animated means 30-120 frames for walking swimming jumping crawling climbing fighting etc..The big problem i have with the event system is that cs0.x does not have a proper debugging feature.With c+ and c++ coding you can actually see what when't wrong when the game is not working like it's supposed to.With cs 0.x the game just goes on without stopping , creating more and bigger problems as the project gets bigger.

That's the whole reason why CS2 came out so early in the first place.I would rather pay for an app which i know is going to be stable than dl an app which has bugs in it.It's still an awesome app for creating small demo's or small projects with.Steven if you could prove to me that cs0.x can handle a big project, then i would say yes i am wrong.

• What?

A 'fully animated character', or something with 120+ animation frames will not choke Construct. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Construct 0.x may be delicate, and it can get pretty rough at times, but it's fully capable of handling larger projects.

• [quote:1vtbj9qs]What?

A 'fully animated character', or something with 120+ animation frames will not choke Construct. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Like always you only read half of what i said.For one character with all the moves etc 1250 frames thats per character.So 120 frames for swimming 60 frames for diving 320 frames for morphing the character etc..And then theres water animations,Grass animations , environment anims.Starting to see the picture now?.

Oh and the character is not a small little 16x16 pixelated can't make out what it is character.256x512 for the character. Resolutions of 1920x1080 stage sizes of 100000x100000.It's not just the animation that chokes it up it's all those factors rolled into one.

Like i said before create a full game with cs 0.x which has all those elements then i would say yeah i was wrong.Example create the first rayman with CS0.x that includes all the animations,Events , cutscenes etc and then show me how far you got in completing the whole thing.

• 120 frames?

It wont choke Construct, but it will strangle a lot of video cards.

Perhaps this is more of a hardware issue rather than software issue.

Honestly, a big game is doable. You just have to embrace its limitations.

Asset management is key, beyond just checking pow^2.

• [quote:2xsumzvl]You just have to embrace its limitations.

Asset management is key, beyond just checking pow^2

I have tested the game on several pc's when it was still in the beta fase and it worked reasonably well.Im talking about all those assets bringing CS0.x to it's knees.Events,Animations,Sounds,Music,Special Conditions,Animated cutscenes (not Video).Yes big projects are doable if it's a low res retro type game.Retron 2011 which im currently doing now is at its final stages with no big problems.

If only there was a proper debug log file implimented with cs0.x then it would be so much easier and faster to create work arounds etc..I don't want to run to someone everytime the app or i screw up the events.If a log file could show me where i or the app made a mistake then it would be so much easier on the dev's to fix the problem.120 frames lol.read the whole thing and not just parts which you want to read.

• yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and completely disagree with dravenx here.

it's finicky, and certain things you have to be careful with. ashley and gul admitted to it's lack of stability, not to a complete inability to make a large game. but people like arima, and davio, and arsonide have all made projects that have gone well beyond the point you're making it sound like.

Those are some of the more experienced developers here, so it shows that learning to work around some of construct's issues is key. But you're making a blanket statement, an inaccurate one, and then telling people to "let it go" when they disagree. You definitely have a right to speak your opinion, but I personally don't think you're qualified to give the end all be all statement to c09x's suitability for large game creation.

also, there's no engine in the modern world that can handle hundreds of frames with very large sprites. Look at streetfighter 3 and the last king of fighters, only 2 characters on screen plus backgrounds, and the animation isn't really smooth at all. they have very few frames so it can all fit in vram. if you want huge characters with smooth animation, you need to use bones or your own custom bone system. That isn't a c1 limitation, it's a 2d graphics limitation. that's why all the spectacular looking 2d games with large characters use distorted sprites, and bone animation

• Try creating a fully animated character with CS 0.x It chokes up.Fully animated means 30-120 frames for walking swimming jumping crawling climbing fighting etc..

Oh and the character is not a small little 16x16 pixelated can't make out what it is character.256x512 for the character. Resolutions of 1920x1080 stage sizes of 100000x100000.It's not just the animation that chokes it up it's all those factors rolled into one.

256*512*4 = 524288 bytes per frame

* 120 frames = 62914560 bytes per animation

* (walking swimming jumping crawling climbing fighting) 6 = 377487360 bytes per character

That's 360 MB only for the main char, not to speak about the HD output (always buffered, so that alone is another 16 MB), effects and all the other frame-animated assets.

This is for sure a hardware problem and not Construct! I wish people would stop blaming Construct for misusing the hardware they have to work on

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)