Not using CS 0.X anymore for big projects.

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:54 pm

[quote:1vtbj9qs]What?

A 'fully animated character', or something with 120+ animation frames will not choke Construct. I have no idea what you're talking about.[/quote:1vtbj9qs]

Like always you only read half of what i said.For one character with all the moves etc 1250 frames thats per character.So 120 frames for swimming 60 frames for diving 320 frames for morphing the character etc..And then theres water animations,Grass animations , environment anims.Starting to see the picture now?.

Oh and the character is not a small little 16x16 pixelated can't make out what it is character.256x512 for the character. Resolutions of 1920x1080 stage sizes of 100000x100000.It's not just the animation that chokes it up it's all those factors rolled into one.

Like i said before create a full game with cs 0.x which has all those elements then i would say yeah i was wrong.Example create the first rayman with CS0.x that includes all the animations,Events , cutscenes etc and then show me how far you got in completing the whole thing.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:03 pm

120 frames?
It wont choke Construct, but it will strangle a lot of video cards.
Perhaps this is more of a hardware issue rather than software issue.
Honestly, a big game is doable. You just have to embrace its limitations.
Asset management is key, beyond just checking pow^2.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:22 pm

[quote:2xsumzvl]You just have to embrace its limitations.
Asset management is key, beyond just checking pow^2[/quote:2xsumzvl]

I have tested the game on several pc's when it was still in the beta fase and it worked reasonably well.Im talking about all those assets bringing CS0.x to it's knees.Events,Animations,Sounds,Music,Special Conditions,Animated cutscenes (not Video).Yes big projects are doable if it's a low res retro type game.Retron 2011 which im currently doing now is at its final stages with no big problems.

If only there was a proper debug log file implimented with cs0.x then it would be so much easier and faster to create work arounds etc..I don't want to run to someone everytime the app or i screw up the events.If a log file could show me where i or the app made a mistake then it would be so much easier on the dev's to fix the problem.120 frames lol.read the whole thing and not just parts which you want to read.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:29 pm

yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and completely disagree with dravenx here.
it's finicky, and certain things you have to be careful with. ashley and gul admitted to it's lack of stability, not to a complete inability to make a large game. but people like arima, and davio, and arsonide have all made projects that have gone well beyond the point you're making it sound like.

Those are some of the more experienced developers here, so it shows that learning to work around some of construct's issues is key. But you're making a blanket statement, an inaccurate one, and then telling people to "let it go" when they disagree. You definitely have a right to speak your opinion, but I personally don't think you're qualified to give the end all be all statement to c09x's suitability for large game creation.

also, there's no engine in the modern world that can handle hundreds of frames with very large sprites. Look at streetfighter 3 and the last king of fighters, only 2 characters on screen plus backgrounds, and the animation isn't really smooth at all. they have very few frames so it can all fit in vram. if you want huge characters with smooth animation, you need to use bones or your own custom bone system. That isn't a c1 limitation, it's a 2d graphics limitation. that's why all the spectacular looking 2d games with large characters use distorted sprites, and bone animation
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:36 pm

[quote="DravenX":3n85pgr1]Try creating a fully animated character with CS 0.x It chokes up.Fully animated means 30-120 frames for walking swimming jumping crawling climbing fighting etc..[/quote:3n85pgr1]

[quote="DravenX":3n85pgr1]Oh and the character is not a small little 16x16 pixelated can't make out what it is character.256x512 for the character. Resolutions of 1920x1080 stage sizes of 100000x100000.It's not just the animation that chokes it up it's all those factors rolled into one.[/quote:3n85pgr1]

256*512*4 = 524288 bytes per frame
* 120 frames = 62914560 bytes per animation
* (walking swimming jumping crawling climbing fighting) 6 = 377487360 bytes per character

That's 360 MB only for the main char, not to speak about the HD output (always buffered, so that alone is another 16 MB), effects and all the other frame-animated assets.

This is for sure a hardware problem and not Construct! I wish people would stop blaming Construct for misusing the hardware they have to work on :roll:
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Take the size on file of one frame that is 16x16, and multiply that by 120.
Your looking at 15+megs, and your trying to do 320 frames @256x512.
That's just not doable, on any hardware accelerated system.
The pipeline just will not handle loading all of that all at once.

Edit:
Yeah what he said.

Also wasn't Rayman originally a bones type of animation anyways?
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:43 pm

Oh ok then.The master has spoken the thread can be closed now Before it sparks up a flame war again.I said what i had to say.I will be using an app which ive grown up with since the good ol days until cs2 arrives.MMF2 here i come lol. :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:45 pm

:roll: Perhaps if you would type a little more carefully I wouldn't have misunderstood you.

Anyway. "For one character with all the moves etc 1250 frames thats per character.So 120 frames for swimming 60 frames for diving 320 frames for morphing the character etc..And then theres water animations,Grass animations , environment anims.Starting to see the picture now?."

What I see is your skyrocketing VRAM usage and redundant amount of animation frames. that's about it. I don't believe things will be much different in MMF.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Hey at least i know the limits of mmf2 so me or the app screwing up the codes or anims won't be such a problem.Come here my beloved MMF2 daddy missed you alot lmao :lol: :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:58 pm

err wow. How old are you DravenX. I ask because not only are you incredibly impolite, you resort to childish baiting when you don't get your own way. I'm not trying to pick sides, but at least try to be pleasant.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic