Nova Break (updated 4/26/2014)

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:23 pm

- logo splash of your company is 3 times too long (takes about 10 sec on my side) - Working on getting this faster

- I didn't like to have to input my name to start playing - I will have to think about this one as it helps with game saves
- I thought for quite some time that I was the ship in the middle, maybe make it appear after me would help to clarify - Adding a link to the instruction page on the start screen
- I didn't know the controls, I clicked to start the game, so I assumed I was playing with mouse, took me some time to realise I have to let go the mouse to play with arrows and space Adding a link to the instruction page on the start screen

- graphics are very cool, love them - Thanks
- I would love to have a black & white version, and maybe some old CRT screen effects ^^ I like that idea
- the welcome back and input name fields have a different font than everything else, and it's not a nice one needs a bug fix
- I think all the icons on top and level selection should have the same kind of very thin line than the game has. And no rounds, just some polygonal circles like the ones around the middle ship Love this idea and have all ready started a redesign of the menu selections.

Everything below here are bugs, working on fixes
- when I resumed playing the second time, the game recognized my name, but I can't click on any level on the level selection screen (even level 1 is locked)
- when I finished the first level, the game showed me I completed both level 1 & 2 with 2 stars, level 3 was available
- after finishing level 3, my mouse disappeared, cannot click the 'next' button
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:11 am

I've been a bit busy and have started to introduce some suggestions based on the feedback from this forum, including a new interface for the user interfaces please look at the instructions page and look at how the interface menu options work. here is the link http://www.dthomasdigital.com/novabreak and change logs will be listed on http://www.dthomasdigital.com
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:16 pm

updated code added 3/11/2014
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:47 pm

More updates today.

- updated menu's at the top

- changed some game play elements

It's still very much a work in progress and I have tons to clean up but it's getting there.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:54 am

looking really good. I may have found a bug tho, First time I tried level 1 I got one star (the left on) second time I got one star again but it was the far right star.... ? dunno if I was meant to get three stars or something.
The only other thing I'd suggest is that when using keyboard controls for gameplay, I like to be able to navigate the UI as well. I kinda expect to be able to go to the next level with the shoot button or right arrow. Otherwise it means switching back and forth between keyboard and mouse
Regardless, this game is looking promising!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Got a great tip on how to deal with browsers and how they treat this HTML5 stuff, new update and a new link http://www.dthomasdigital.com/novabreak/index2
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:12 pm

Love the Geometry Wars style visuals.

Music kicks ass and is very fitting!

Controls felt good, and it was fun enough that I played the first level quite a few times. I honestly wish there was more to play, which is always a good thing. :)

I feel like there are an awful lot of icons at the top of the title screen, but I guess some of those are only meant for gameplay. I feel like the audio buttons could probably be crammed into the options menu as well for what it's worth when that gets up and running.

On the "How to Play" screen, I really like how well it's illustrated, but I feel like all the ships/icons are rotating a bit too fast, so I don't really get to identify what it is I'm looking at. I'd recommend either slowing them down or not having the rotate at all.

Anyway, it's awesome and I'm super excited for more updates!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:04 am

How funny, I was thinking all that movement on the "How to Play" screen was to much. Also I totally broke some stuff today, never I repeat never delete a global veritable. New update will be posted tomorrow.... via a million downloads.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:02 pm

New updates coming soon, and some bug fixes. Working on getting at least 6 levels up and running for the demo. http://www.dthomasdigital.com
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Did someone say retro?...so far so good, nice sound, graphics are suitably retro, more than that you have reproduced the feel of old arcade games, and that's the difficult bit...

I tested on firefox suffered a little on the framerate at times and game must be running in a high res as I could not see some of the screen,my screen res is 1024,768 so maybe a low res option for added retro-ness, and may help the framerate too...
As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests