Numberphile

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 am

Are you sometimes terrified by the math behind it? Trying to get the game right, without actually using more than standard math? Having thought "If only I could" here and there?

I found this channel on youtube, Numberphile. Guess what, it's all about numbers - and sometimes even the not-a-numbers...

Really this makes a lot of fun to watch, as it explains complex contexts in very easy comprehensible ways.
Here's an example of an easy way to calculate the number pi: Pi and Buffon's Matches
And here's one example of a neat trick to tell the fifth root from an integer number right from your head. Should do for a nice party impression :lol: Fifth Root Trick

If you're into math you probably won't find anything that's new to you. But for beginners, it's a goldmine.

Here's the youtube channel

Have fun with it
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:27 am

The channel is quite informative. I just watched Conway's game of life. Thanks for the info.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:07 am

Thanks for the link - I've just lost about 40 minutes sat watching. Entertaining and informative.
August 2015 - I misplaced a lot of links - I will try to find backups and repost. If You find a post that interests please reply to post with @rampackwobble and I will get a nudge!

If you find my posts useful please consider donating something to a local charity or to the http://www.mndassociation.org/
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:34 pm

And with heart! Just look at this passionate call for loving math.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:39 am

That trick is really great :-D Thanks for that...
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Return to Open Topic