NW.js 13 Beta 2 improvements and problems

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
  • Just letting you know that the lagspike issue is still a thing in the latest release. It seems to be less common now, and mostly happens shortly after booting. However it never truly goes away. Other than that the game runs mega smooth.

NWjs finally runs properly with the nvidia GPU again on optimus setups.

Horrible performance on my intergrated intel card though. Lagspikes very frequent and common here. v0.12 ran better.

Anyone else experiencing the lagspike issues?

Edit: Ashley Unfortunately I can't test in chrome since I've been unable to boot Klang in chrome preview for well over a year now. Something about the download size or something.

• Tinimations

Can you maybe strip some layouts out before export, to test with chrome?

Would be really interesting to see if this is indeed a NW-problem or more like.. project rot.

• I updated C2 and node-webkit today and suddenly I have new problems:

• C2 "run layout" preview not working when choosing Nw.js preview browser.
    • Construct 2 does not shut nw.exe properly when closing the program (steam version - I need to open the task manager to shut nw.exe down).
    • Still have random bad performance/stuttering/lags with low framerate (around 45 fps). This problem appears randomly, because my game runs at 60 fps every time.
  • having the same issues but only with my project. If I create a new project I don't have issues with NW.js

Also, when testing in Chrome I dont have lag anymore. But Ive been optimizing.

• Eisenhans

Been trying around a bit. Lagspikes didn't seem to happen to my mega small gamejam game, but it's not saying much. For all I know I just had to play for 10 times longer for it to kick in. Therefore I figured there was no point in stripping Klang down, since a potential lack of lagspike in chrome wouldn't mean anything.

I tried to just run around back and forth in the smallest layout in the game, where practically nothing happens. There didn't seem to be no lagspikes after a while. Also as these lagspikes was never really an issue in 12 (but I remember having similar issues earlier in development), I'm pretty certain it isn't project rot. This is a chrome/NW problem. The problem persists in Beta 3, and I'm becoming worried that this thing won't be fixed...

• Intel GPUs are really weak, I don't know if they will run anything well

If you have any issues I'd encourage you to post to the Bugs forum following all the guidelines. It would be strange if the game starts up in NW.js but not Chrome - they're both based on the same Chromium browser engine!

• Ashley The game starts up in chrome if I export it to a website, it's just the preview that's instantly gets a red loading bar. It still attempts to load the assets, but stops at 23 %. I met this wall a long time ago. If not for Firefox I would have switched engine back then. I haven't had the time yet to export the game out and upload it to the web yet. Maybe I should test that.

They run my game really well. Even older ones from many years ago.

With the 0.13 alpha 7, where I found heaps better performance on Intel GPU compared to 0.10.5 and 0.12!

And they are the majority of the market, especially notebooks and low-end PCs that are supposed to handle 2D games well.

• Ashley Eisenhans So I exported the game to an HTML document and "downloaded" it to chrome. It ran perfect, not a single lagspike, or stutter, even after a long session. I have my proof, it's NW.js!

Only issue was that videos wasn't playing at all in the chrome browser. Might be due to them not loading in properly?

Edit: Also played it in Firefox. Horrendous performance. Constant lagspikes. Preview runs way better here.

• Well, if I ever saw good and bad news rolled into one, this is it.

Good that your project is fine after all and boo to NW.js.

• I'm still having issues sadly

• Will we ever see a happy ending to this? >.>

Well, my i3-3110m could run Guild Wars 2 on medium settings, so I'd expect these chips to handle an average 2D game.

• > Intel GPUs are really weak, I don't know if they will run anything well

>

Well, my i3-3110m could run Guild Wars 2 on medium settings, so I'd expect these chips to handle an average 2D game.

My i5-4210U runs 2d perfectly, except for c2 games.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • >

> Well, my i3-3110m could run Guild Wars 2 on medium settings, so I'd expect these chips to handle an average 2D game.

>

My i5-4210U runs 2d perfectly, except for c2 games.

Yes, I found this to be the case with NW 0.10.5 to 0.12...

But for some reason, 0.13 alphas (6 & 7) run extremely well.

I haven't tested the new 0.13 betas yet because if it aint broke, I am not updating haha.

Whenever GreenWorks is updated then I'll test them out. To be honest, i'm a little scared that newer NW may change the way it handles savestates, user data etc..

ps. If you two gentlemen would like to test performance of a 0.13 alpha 7 exported "big-game", PM me and I'll give you a key.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)