NW.js v0.12.0 (Chromium 41) 5th March, Discussion

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Set of 12 Parallax Background to make pixel art game.
  • https://www.scirra.com/nwjs

[quote:2x13znfx]v0.12.0 (Chromium 41), 106 MB, 5th March 2015, Download

All good?

Could possibly have issues with Greenworks?

• This is a vast improvement! Nope - it's excellent, IMO, I can't fault it.

, I tried your demo on this and it was perfect.... Not sure if the tag will work so apologies for the double tagging!

• Colludium

How did you try the Airscape demo in the new NW.JS? Or are you talking about a different bench?

I've been on 10.5 forever...wonder if it's finally time to update...?

• TiAm, I copied squiddster's link to the demo, ran the nw.js in the NWjsForC2\win32 folder (it runs as a browser with an address bar when you don't have a package.nw file in the folder) and just pasted the link in the normal way. Not one jank to be seen....

Edit to add - I'm cautious in case someone finds some fault, but from what I saw it was at least as good as 10.5. I ran my dt tests on it and there were only one or two frame drops over a 30 sec period...

• Wow, works great! Super smooth! The only downside is the big file size. My game has currently 320kb if i export for web, with nw.js i get near 90Mb (64bit Win)!

• Colludium

Wow, that's awesome! I had no idea NW.JS could do that!

Edit: So far I'm just trying 10.5 (can't DL 12 'til after midnight local...long story).

Anyway, with 10.5, this is the best I've seen airscape run. However, going 'auto' resolution and fullscreen still drags me down to 40fps. That being said, the stuttering is much less severe; I would consider the game playable like this. Also, 1366x768 works really well; solid 60fps, soooo smooth.

Will give 12 a run later; hope it works even better!

• No stutters or jank, Chromium 41 is good. But I get no difference in CPU usage in my stress test.

This is pure logic bottleneck, not GPU or fill-rate, my GPU is ~20% loaded. Draw calls are ~5% of the CPU usage. The rest are all used by the AI & combat simulation. Peak 97% CPU usage. It sucks to be single-threaded in 2015.

• I know this is a bit OTT, but in that stress test of yours, what is chewing up most of your resources? Cols? A.I.? Draw calls?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I know this is a bit OTT, but in that stress test of yours, what is chewing up most of your resources? Cols? A.I.? Draw calls?

Draw calls = ~5%.

Using GPU-Z, my GPU usage is ~20%. Radeon 7950 (pretty mid-range these days).

Col isn't much, peaks around 700/tic, well below stress test col levels.

The bulk of the CPU use is for AI for target selection, priorities, movement for each ship (range, optimal firing solution, left/right shield facing against attackers, when to use missiles etc), drones & seeking weapons.

I have to limit the fleet sizes in encounters due to it being single threaded, since my CPU is a desktop i5-3570K, using more than 50% of that thread means a lot of people on notebooks would lag as their CPUs are lower clocked.

This definitely limits C2 to smaller scope games with fewer active AI &or simplistic combat.

If I remove drones (~50 drones), that same fleet battle peaks at 50% single thread load and ~35-40% average, well within acceptable range for it to run well on a range of setups. The problem is it loses the sense of epic-ness without hordes of drones. Can't have carriers without drones either. :/

• Damn...I'm surprised A.I. is chewing up so much. I've also got a 3570k, and I can usually get away with quite a lot of chaos before cpu gets to be a problem. If you have 50 actors (drones) that are, by themselves, chewing up 50% of your cpu...that just doesn't sound right.

• TiAm I noticed there seems to be a cliff of sorts, more units than that and it quickly eats up CPU.

I'll have to do an optimization run through a few times, currently I'm very generous with it, all the calculations are done per tick, see what I can move to every 0.1 or more seconds instead.

It's a challenge though, getting efficient & effective AI for mass RTS style combat. Was hoping newer Chromium versions may improve this a bit but I saw no difference in performance between Node 10.5 to now.

• i for one, am very dissapointed with tthis, we live are in 2015, and only single thread cpu usage?

Whenver i see the community seying that c2 can make big games i guess they mean big games with ugly graphics and goombas for AI

my game too has complex AI, and extremely good graphics, but now after learning abou the cpu thing, im very worried. i assumed that the runtime will use full use of the CPU....not so little.

about the NW.js well im going to try it, but i dount is going to work :/

• THIS IS HORRIBLE! god, i guess im stuck on NodeWebkit forever

newer and more, does not mean better.

• i for one, am very dissapointed with tthis, we live are in 2015, and only single thread cpu usage?

Whenver i see the community seying that c2 can make big games i guess they mean big games with ugly graphics and goombas for AI

my game too has complex AI, and extremely good graphics, but now after learning abou the cpu thing, im very worried. i assumed that the runtime will use full use of the CPU....not so little.

about the NW.js well im going to try it, but i dount is going to work :/

You will just have to optimize and more optimize. Good luck with it.

• Just updated to check it out - no longer can obtain 60 fps; max obtainable is 59. Janks are still in for me.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)