NW.js v0.19.4 youtube error

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Use this game pack to create your own game, modify the existing game or simply take a look and see how it was made.
  • I'M use NW.js v0.19.4

Problem Description

____ NW.js youtube error ____

Attach a Capx

____ https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzFa_ ... nk4R0NMdWM ____

screen when I open youtube site in nw.js http://www.picz.ge/img/s1/1701/25/5/5a5108efa722.png

____ https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzFa_ ... TBLNVprWU0 ____

there is all c2 original plugins

Description of Capx

____ click on youtube logo and there is error when I open videos in youtube ____

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Step 1 click
    • Step 2 choose videos
    • Step 3 error

Observed Result

____ cant use youtube videos in my projects ____

Expected Result

____ playing youtube videos ____

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: (YES)
    • FireFox: (YES)
    • Internet Explorer: (YES)
    • only NW.js problem

Operating System and Service Pack

____ win 10. ____

Construct 2 Version ID

____ r242 ____

• I'm getting this error as well. It just started within the last few days. I tried reverting to r241 and that didn't resolve the issue.

• The builtin ffmpeg only contains royalty free codecs. See http://docs.nwjs.io/en/latest/For%20Dev ... %20Codecs/ for the list of supported codecs in builtin ffmpeg. We couldn't ship ffmpeg with proprietary codecs due to legal issues. So you have to get ffmpeg libraries from community or build yourself if you are eligible to use them in your app.

This is a known issue, feel free to take a look HERE.

To make things short, you will have to manually DOWNLOAD the ffmpeg.dll file by the community and replace it with the existing file inside your gamefolder.

(Download the correct version of the ffmpeg.dll!)

Depending on Ashley's response to the following question, I will make my decision to either include this in the roundup as a "workaround" or not.

Ashley I know it's a tricky thing with the legal issues and all that but would you consider replacing the ffmpeg.dll by the community in future NW.js installer releases?

• Closing as the .capx relies on a third-party plugin. Please see our bug report guidelines. This could also be a change on the part of YouTube - maybe they don't want you playing videos from NW.js.

You absolutely should not download and use a different ffmpeg DLL unless you've seen this notice on that website, understand the legal implications, and have paid for the correct codec licenses:

[quote:2qapn1ct]Using MP3 and H.264 codecs requires you to pay attention to the patent royalties and the license of the source code. Consult a lawyer if you do not understand the licensing constraints and using patented media formats in your application. For more information about the license of the source code, check here.

This also applies regardless of where you obtain ffmpeg.dll from, if it includes certain codecs.

The version that ships with NW.js does not include any patented codecs, so is free to use. AFAIK YouTube supports open codecs, so it should be possible to get it working, but it's not our responsibility to investigate or fix third-party plugins.

• Closing as the .capx relies on a third-party plugin. Please see our bug report guidelines. This could also be a change on the part of YouTube - maybe they don't want you playing videos from NW.js.

You absolutely should not download and use a different ffmpeg DLL unless you've seen this notice on that website, understand the legal implications, and have paid for the correct codec licenses:

[quote:25p6akpn]Using MP3 and H.264 codecs requires you to pay attention to the patent royalties and the license of the source code. Consult a lawyer if you do not understand the licensing constraints and using patented media formats in your application. For more information about the license of the source code, check here.

This also applies regardless of where you obtain ffmpeg.dll from, if it includes certain codecs.

The version that ships with NW.js does not include any patented codecs, so is free to use. AFAIK YouTube supports open codecs, so it should be possible to get it working, but it's not our responsibility to investigate or fix third-party plugins.

I don't like to say this but the ffmpeg.dll that ships with Electron doesn't have this problem.

Well you guys heard what Ashley said, I won't change anything in my previous post but respect the law I guess (even though the files are pretty much open for grabs, which is in my opinion ridiculous and even more a motivation for people to download it without respecting the law.)

Burvey & db3344 you guys decide but if you want some advice from me, unless you guys plan to do a "videoplayer app" or something like that. Please just download the video (if it's yours or you got the permission from the original creator), convert it into one of the supported formats and play it back using the video plugin. That way it will always work regardless if the user is online or offline and the playback should be more reliable as well.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I don't like to say this but the ffmpeg.dll that ships with Electron doesn't have this problem.

I think they might do the same thing as that GitHub account: they just say "hey look, we built it, here's a DLL if you want it - but it's entirely up to you to determine if you're allowed to use it. It's not our responsibility and don't complain to us if somebody sues you."

So the fact it's available for download does not mean you're allowed to use it. IMO NW.js takes the right approach of distributing something you're definitely allowed to use, rather than something you likely need a license for.

• > I don't like to say this but the ffmpeg.dll that ships with Electron doesn't have this problem.

>

I think they might do the same thing as that GitHub account: they just say "hey look, we built it, here's a DLL if you want it - but it's entirely up to you to determine if you're allowed to use it. It's not our responsibility and don't complain to us if somebody sues you."

So the fact it's available for download does not mean you're allowed to use it. IMO NW.js takes the right approach of distributing something you're definitely allowed to use, rather than something you likely need a license for.

True that, I'm frankly not a friend of their careless "we ship it but it's not our responsibility" approach if they really do it that way.

Well I hope I made it clear that I don't encourage people to download it without respecting the law.

So everybody that stumbles across this topic, please carefully read THIS before doing any further steps.

• Would uploading the video to youtube in webm format rather then mp4 make any difference?

• If it's webm you could just use the Scirra plug.

• newt What I'm trying to do is link to my youtube page (not a specific video) from my app with the browser object, but once the page opens none of the videos will play within the nw.js window.

• newt What I'm trying to do is link to my youtube page (not a specific video) from my app with the browser object, but once the page opens none of the videos will play within the nw.js window.

Please don't do that, even the greatest AAA games open links by detecting the user's default browser.

I get that it's more convenient in our case since we run our games in a browser but you'll just get annoyed by limitations like this one. If you're going to release your game on Steam you even have the option to open it inside the overlay browser (which is funny enough also based on Chromium).

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)