NW0.13.alpha5 Testing Report **Alpha6 Works!!**

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:05 am

@squiddster, have you considered creating a ssytem to use nw.js file storage to store your game state inside the user's folder? After @Mad_Spy described this to me a couple of days ago I haven't looked back. I presume that it could suffer the same asynchronous challenges that local storage provides, but this works on v13 AFAIK (although I'm using v12 still).
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:28 am

Colludium wrote:@squiddster, have you considered creating a ssytem to use nw.js file storage to store your game state inside the user's folder? After @Mad_Spy described this to me a couple of days ago I haven't looked back. I presume that it could suffer the same asynchronous challenges that local storage provides, but this works on v13 AFAIK (although I'm using v12 still).

Well considering the NW.Js object is causing NW 0.13 to crash, we don't know if it works or not. :p

Nice if it does, it means I can redesign my save game using Dictionary & JSON rather than the default Save/Load. That's fine too, more direct control in the file read/write is good.

Also, the file write to a set folder with Data Path which is ignored in the 0.13.a5 NW, it reads from a temporary cache folder that's session specific. So it wouldn't work.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:35 am

Silverforce wrote:
sqiddster wrote:In terms of save game state, are we totally screwed, or is there a *potential* workaround sometime in the future?

Looks like a bug, all they would need to do is stop making a new temporary session folder for saved data at each startup. Chromium used to have 2 data paths, UserData and Data. It looks like it's defaulting to using UserData which may be causing this issue. It's also ignoring the args --data-path='./save/' which suggest it is indeed defaulting to UserData.

Seems easy to fix.

I just hope they fix it soon.

Have you made a thread about it in their forum?
Perhaps like last time, link it so we can upvote it to impress on them the urgency of the problem.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:00 am

Sethmaster wrote:Have you made a thread about it in their forum?
Perhaps like last time, link it so we can upvote it to impress on them the urgency of the problem.

Waiting to see what Scirra thinks of this whole episode, since only they would know for sure what's going on with the C2 engine <----> NW.Js interaction.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:06 am

@Silverforce - ha - you're right, but only if you use Scirra's nw.js v13 installation. The one from github works just fine for me...

Edit - "just fine" does not include full screen or kiosk mode. All looks like a rather rushed introduction of an alpha nw.js to the c2 output schedule IMO.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:46 am

Colludium wrote:@Silverforce - ha - you're right, but only if you use Scirra's nw.js v13 installation. The one from github works just fine for me...

Edit - "just fine" does not include full screen or kiosk mode. All looks like a rather rushed introduction of an alpha nw.js to the c2 output schedule IMO.

The one from github 0.13.0 alpha 5 doesn't work for me at all. Only Scirra's version does.

It's a good sign there though, performance up, no memory leak.. just a few bugs to sort out.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:53 am

That's rather disheartening, @Silverforce! I would much prefer we all had the same bad experience than each a different version of incompatibility :/.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:16 am

Colludium wrote:That's rather disheartening, @Silverforce! I would much prefer we all had the same bad experience than each a different version of incompatibility :/.

Yeah, that's predicts some possible future issues.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm

@megatronx - I agree - and I fear it's the beginning of a new 6 month cycle of "they're fixing it".
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:48 pm

Colludium wrote:@megatronx - I agree - and I fear it's the beginning of a new 6 month cycle of "they're fixing it".

If writing to external file is working in this release, then it could be a possibility for workaround, and could or even then should be implemented by scirra, if only temporarily.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General