NW0.13.alpha5 Testing Report **Alpha6 Works!!**

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:46 am

Silverforce wrote:@Ashley
Any official input on these bugs? Are they something you guys can fix on your end or do we have to wait for the next iteration of Chromium and therefore, the next NW.Js built on that new Chromium?

Do we know if it's Chromium or NW bug?
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:27 am

blurymind wrote:do you guys think that construct2 should ship with nw.js as part of the installer? I dont understand why it is separate at the moment :)

The main reason it was separated was the download size: NW.js is ~130mb at the moment, and C2 is ~60mb. If you don't need to use NW.js and you don't have a fast connection, it's annoying to have to download 3x as much data. Also it allows us to update NW.js independently of C2.

Please allow a few weeks for bug reports to be investigated, as the guidelines describe.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:30 am

Ashley wrote:Please allow a few weeks for bug reports to be investigated, as the guidelines describe.

Thanks. Perhaps prioritize the easiest bug for you guys to fix since it's C2-related:

The NW.Js C2 object is not compatible with r217 + NW 0.13.Alpha 5 NW export (blank screen on startup of .exe).

Fixing this would enable us to use the NW.Js object file read/write to work with our custom save system.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:25 am

@Ashley
@megatronx
@Colludium
@MelVin
@Tinimations
@Danwood
@MadSpy

Okay, some good news!!

Just tested the NW.Js 0.13 Alpha6 (latest live build today on github).

The cache/temporary session folder storage seems to be FIXED!

It's a set folder under:

C:\Users\bob2\AppData\Local\StarNomad2\User Data\Default\IndexedDB

In my game, its folder is: chrome-extension_ihbilmccnkojgdhdikkoikjihbfjeecf_0.indexeddb.leveldb

And it persists through game exit and relaunch.

It IS compatible with C2's Save/Load system! Hurrah!

But, still we cannot export using NW.Js plugin object, same blank screen bug on startup. So we cannot use custom save/load systems, having to go with C2's default Save/Load.

I spent a day making & testing a custom file save using NW.Js read/write, also making it possible to add mod support for the game via text files... but now the default Save/Load is working fine.

Also, Full-screen works fine. I use the Browser object to request & exit full-screen.

Going to proceed to test LocalStorage plugin see if that works too.

Basically if it does, then Alpha 6 is good to go and GreenWorks can be updated! :D

EDIT: LocalStorage WORKS.
The triggers Exist, Missing etc works fine, retrieving data works.

0.13.alpha 6 is now operational! GreenWorks Steam plugin update time?! :mrgreen:

Alpha 6 Download: http://dl.nwjs.io/live-build/11-23-2015 ... .0-alpha6/

Just extract it over your NWForC2 folders, win32/64 etc.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:58 am

@Silverforce Great job on the testing! Any idea how 0.13 fares with the red loading bar issue on mac and linux?
B
S

Post » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 am

AlexFrancois wrote:@Silverforce Great job on the testing! Any idea how 0.13 fares with the red loading bar issue on mac and linux?

Oh man I am really excited because this is potentially the first time that C2 for Desktop won't be plagued by nasty issues... the Holy Grail, it's nearly there, very close now. :mrgreen:

I can't test Linux, no experience with it at all.

I'll test MAC tomorrow on my Mac Air.

This NW build is really aggressive with memory cleaning, on layout change, within ~10 seconds it will call garbage collector and free up assets not present on the layout. It's nice to see memory usage drop back down.

There is a small quirk, it seems to ignore the sound fx preload option as well as the Audio -> Preload event. But that's a very minor issues that can be easily fixed with a function call (to events to play some Sounds at -200 decibels, to "load" those sounds into memory) On Start of Layout.

I also do function calls to "preload" sprites and explosions with lots of frames along with the sounds, and it's so good to witness a massive fleet battle between many AI factions running 100% fluid smooth. It's a thing of beauty now.

I have many large ships including big capitals duking it out and hundreds of fighters swarming around dog-fighting, and it's zero jank, performance is outstanding.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:22 am

Silverforce wrote:I have many large ships including big capitals duking it out and hundreds of fighters swarming around dog-fighting, and it's zero jank, performance is outstanding.

I have yet to test against older PCs (my work PC is too new to really represent the majority of gamers) but it looks very promising indeed.
My bullet hell testing ground runs smooth like a baby's ass on alpha6.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:43 am

Good that NW.js works again.

Silverforce wrote:But, still we cannot export using NW.Js plugin object, same blank screen bug on startup. So we cannot use custom save/load systems, having to go with C2's default Save/Load.

But unfortunately, I really need to use the NW.js plugin object for the Sandbox mode in my game, in order to load and save files in a Windows dialog UI. Any alternatives?
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

If you play Puyo Puyo games, you can meet me at the Puyo Puyo English Community Discord: https://discord.gg/0k41S8ARwvY2iTIQ
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:57 am

Tetriser wrote:Good that NW.js works again.

Silverforce wrote:But, still we cannot export using NW.Js plugin object, same blank screen bug on startup. So we cannot use custom save/load systems, having to go with C2's default Save/Load.

But unfortunately, I really need to use the NW.js plugin object for the Sandbox mode in my game, in order to load and save files in a Windows dialog UI. Any alternatives?

That will just have to wait for @Ashley to get around to fixing because its a C2 plugin incompatibility issue.

Once its fixed, I can switch back to using the custom save system as well as text file modding access, it's pretty handy having those file access for sure.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:31 am

Silverforce wrote:
AlexFrancois wrote:@Silverforce Great job on the testing! Any idea how 0.13 fares with the red loading bar issue on mac and linux?

Oh man I am really excited because this is potentially the first time that C2 for Desktop won't be plagued by nasty issues... the Holy Grail, it's nearly there, very close now. :mrgreen:

I can't test Linux, no experience with it at all.

I'll test MAC tomorrow on my Mac Air.

This NW build is really aggressive with memory cleaning, on layout change, within ~10 seconds it will call garbage collector and free up assets not present on the layout. It's nice to see memory usage drop back down.

There is a small quirk, it seems to ignore the sound fx preload option as well as the Audio -> Preload event. But that's a very minor issues that can be easily fixed with a function call (to events to play some Sounds at -200 decibels, to "load" those sounds into memory) On Start of Layout.

I also do function calls to "preload" sprites and explosions with lots of frames along with the sounds, and it's so good to witness a massive fleet battle between many AI factions running 100% fluid smooth. It's a thing of beauty now.

I have many large ships including big capitals duking it out and hundreds of fighters swarming around dog-fighting, and it's zero jank, performance is outstanding.

If I were to get a mac build of my game to you built with 0.13 alpha 6, would you be able to give it a quick try to see if it gets beyond the red bar? It has over 900 images so it will give a good indication whether this is still a problem!
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General