NW.JS Screen Tearing

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:23 pm

It works! Thanks :) That's a weird oversight from MS...

saiyadjin wrote:or simply go to win10. no aero bullshit there :)

Omg don't! Heh :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:29 pm

actually they're pretty solid now after 10586 update. yes i know privacy is an issue, but you can turn it all off without any hacks and shit. haven't had a problem since i've reformatted (a couple of months ago) till now. everything works perfectly (and 10x faster then win7) (the trick was actually in doing a clean install, which most of people didn't do so they had problems :/)
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:37 pm

Have you tested this against alpha8?

I hope they get it in order, this is the kind of stuff reviewers kick your shins for.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:13 pm

saiyadjin wrote:actually they're pretty solid now after 10586 update. yes i know privacy is an issue, but you can turn it all off without any hacks and shit. haven't had a problem since i've reformatted (a couple of months ago) till now. everything works perfectly (and 10x faster then win7) (the trick was actually in doing a clean install, which most of people didn't do so they had problems :/)

That's good to hear. But I still don't trust em :P Between their 'offer you can't refuse'-tactics and dodgy EULA-clauses buried under a ton of legalese they're resembling some kind of two-bit malware business these days.

Eisenhans wrote:Have you tested this against alpha8?

I hope they get it in order, this is the kind of stuff reviewers kick your shins for.

I wasn't aware alpha8 was out, will test.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 pm

Personally wouldn't touch Win 10 with a barge pole. There aggressive push is borderline criminal. I'm sticking with Win7 until it is retired then hopping over to a competitor.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:50 pm

Eisenhans wrote:Have you tested this against alpha8?

Alpha8 still has tearing. Doesn't seem as bad now but that could be a coincidence. I suppose the best thing to do is include a note/faq telling users to keep Aero switched on.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:51 pm

zenox98 wrote:Personally wouldn't touch Win 10 with a barge pole. There aggressive push is borderline criminal. I'm sticking with Win7 until it is retired then hopping over to a competitor.

Same. There's no way I'm installing Win 10.
I'm probably switching to linux if they don't make "Win 11" extra special. In fact, I'm not even sure I'll wait for "win 11".

Now all I have to do is choose a distro...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:34 pm

i don't see why everyone is throwing so much hate on win10.

i'm using them for 3 months (and upgraded from 10240 to 10586) and i can't be happier. i was on xp/7/8.1/10 and i can tell you the best windows for me were 8.1, but now i'm suddenly more into 10 and they're taking me over from 8.1 (yes i know how everyone hated that metro menu).

and when it gets to "normal" users like me, you, someone else, and so on.. i don't see what the big "privacy fuss" is all about. like you ever spend 20hours reading eula before installing windows. just because media went batshit crazy on the privacy issue like it's something big doesn't mean that win7/8 isn't "spyin'" on you as they call it.
sending data through internet is done no matter what windows you use. your browser collects it, google collects it, everyone collects it. you can't get rid of it. and trust me, i'd rather have an updated windows system then some linux (i'm not saying that linux is bad, but it's got a lot of problems & driver / partition issues and so on..), because it runs fast, supports everything and their new "stuff" is somewhat taken from linux (multiple display desktops and such ideas) which is nice to see. but performance in general vs 7 (fps and other things - > way better on 10, even 8.1 was way faster). Also i dig the new "flat" look because simply win 7 (we're talking defaults here) look like garbage for todays standards (i know you can shut that off and all but ok..).
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:49 pm

saiyadjin wrote:i don't see why everyone is throwing so much hate on win10.

Since you asked, for me personally it's not even the metro interface. That's just a symptom of what, for me, is a "dumbing down" of windows, apparently to make it more accessible to average people, but to the detriment of power users like me. Many options and features that were available and easily accessible were either removed or hidden, becoming accessible only via registry hacks or the use of third party programs.

This is a trend that started with vista, by the way. UAC is a linux ripoff (not that it's a bad idea - far from it, it was long overdue), with zero customization options. Want to set a program to automatically gain elevated privileges? Tough luck. Want to customize how windows update downloads patches, and when/whether to apply them? Tough luck. We gave up everything that made windows good for what? Metro tiles?

Windows 10, especially, feels like a "free to play" windows. You know that old adage: "If you're not paying, you are the product"...

saiyadjin wrote:i don't see what the big "privacy fuss" is all about. like you ever spend 20hours reading eula before installing windows. just because media went batshit crazy on the privacy issue like it's something big doesn't mean that win7/8 isn't "spyin'" on you as they call it.

Privacy is the biggest issue in this century, you can't just say "privacy fuss" and move on... Windows 7 is not a saint, but at least the data it collects is optional, and it warns you before doing anything with it. Windows 10 collects all kinds of data and phones home, with no option to disable it (besides downloading third party programs of dubious origins, registry hacks, etc.), and even if you do disable the options, there's no guarantee windows will respect them, since some updates apparently reset the choices. I doubt there will ever be an update that "accidentally" changed the privacy settings to maximum.

saiyadjin wrote:sending data through internet is done no matter what windows you use. your browser collects it, google collects it, everyone collects it. you can't get rid of it.

Sure you can. Use firefox, mess around in chrome... in fact everyone got super worried when "evercookies" were invented. There's even a linux distro (backtrack) that's specialized in leaving no traces. I could go on about TOR and VPNs and stuff but it's not necessary.

saiyadjin wrote:and trust me, i'd rather have an updated windows system then some linux (i'm not saying that linux is bad, but it's got a lot of problems & driver / partition issues and so on..), because it runs fast, supports everything and their new "stuff" is somewhat taken from linux (multiple display desktops and such ideas) which is nice to see. but performance in general vs 7 (fps and other things - > way better on 10, even 8.1 was way faster). Also i dig the new "flat" look because simply win 7 (we're talking defaults here) look like garbage for todays standards (i know you can shut that off and all but ok..).

The only thing holding me to windows is gaming and a few proprietary tools (construct 2 included). Soon these issues will disappear, and for everything else there are always virtual machines.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:13 pm

ErekT wrote:Alpha8 still has tearing. Doesn't seem as bad now but that could be a coincidence. I suppose the best thing to do is include a note/faq telling users to keep Aero switched on.

But it wasn't there before, was it? I don't have Win7, so I can't test it - but I recall stuttering, not tearing.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General