Object and behavior requests

Forum for plugin, effect and behavior programmers. Please use the Help & Support forum for help using Construct.

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:59 pm

[quote="Rich":feiqmuqz]I think both are important; tracking objects through C++ in the plugin would be marginally quicker than eventing it yourself with a parsing system, also.

An easy to use yet highly powerful online object is definitely what Construct needs. I wonder if mK will ever come back :([/quote:feiqmuqz]
I concur!

Also, another thing I would like to see is a "save game" object that is similar to the TGF/MMF plugin "INI object"... but has built in encryption so it's not just a standard text file. Even if it just uses something simple like binary encryption it will be enough to stop someone from easily cheating by editing the file in notepad :roll:

This would also be nice to include with the online object (should one be made) so there can be server-side saves to stop cheating all together. It would also make it more like a "World of Warcraft" type system where your "character" or other information is never on your computer. this would be ideal for games where there is a career scoring system, character development, ranking system, or similar things.
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:03 pm

The current save layout to file action in system serializes the layout, as opposed to saving it as ini or text. It'd be very difficult to effectively edit it with notepad (though hardcore gamers could check our source for the correct serialization and reverse engineer it.)

An encryption plugin is necessary for true protection, something like Blowfish.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:05 pm

Yeah, there's saving built in to the system object... you'd have to reverse engineer each plugin too, so it's hard work, and made even more difficult if you encrypt the file!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:44 pm

Soulja, I'm not sure how your making your online games, but if you plan it well it can be really efficient anyway. For example, obviously all the play is on one frame (i suppose with global event sheets this could be different in Construct), I have all my "players" as one object. You then only really need to apply the tracking to one object. Theres no need for you to need to track loads of objects. Its tempting to open source(ify) an old version of Eden to show how i did it :D

Also, yes, player info should NEVER be held at clientside. It then really comes down to how secure your server is. If it was "unhackable" you could just store all player info in an unencrypted ini file and it wouldn't really matter.

I'm really just ranting, but i think what im trying to say is that the fundementals of online game creation are far more important than how well we can encrypt - It all comes down to planning and a clever system.

Hope i didn't sound rude or anything! Im basically just thinking out loud :D
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:37 am

[quote="alee":xp034ik9]lots of stuff[/quote:xp034ik9]

That acctually worked? Every time I tried to apply an "object type" the events would never seem to work quite right in controlling everything... I haven't played with it in Construct yet, but I am assuming "containers" work the same way so you can apply the same behaviour to all objects in a container?

And yes, if it is server side saves then it doesn't have to be encrypted, in fact it would be better if it wasn't in case some admin-editing needs to happen ;)

And no, you didn't sound rude at all.... it's always good to get a proper view on what everyone is getting at, otherwise you go around in circles. If you could apply objcet tracking to say "every player object" and "every bullet object" etc then it wouldn't be so bad!
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:12 am

Just make the Online plugin integrate with families, so you can track any value common to the whole family similar to how you can access only common variables when going through the family object.
There goes your "I can't be assed to track a billion objects" problem. :lol:

However first we need an alternative insertable system object, since nobody can figure out why the Families are removing the System object from lists for some people and not others. It may be a hacky workaround, and one not necessarily entirely desirable, but it's still a workaround.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:32 pm

I would like to see a path object & behaviour where you place a path object and give it a path name and decide where the waypoints are then any object with the path behaviour can be told to follow the path.

eg: I place two path objects and give them each 10 way points, one is "Left" the other is "Right". Then I create a sprite with the path behaviour and I can tell it to follow Left, reverse at the end of Left, and then follow Right.

This would allow more than one path for each object which makes designing custom AI easier

For the online object, it would be nice if there is two types of objects you can place. Simple Online Object which has the basic commands needed for making an online game and uses built-in settings for network handling, and Advanced Online Object which allows for you to have full control over the network packets and etc.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 05, 2008 7:28 am

I'd also love a path behavior. it would also be nice to be able to to assign each waypoint a "resting time"
B
G

Post » Mon May 05, 2008 11:41 pm

[quote="Jayjay":22rsbn2i]eg: I place two path objects and give them each 10 way points, one is "Left" the other is "Right". Then I create a sprite with the path behaviour and I can tell it to follow Left, reverse at the end of Left, and then follow Right.[/quote:22rsbn2i]

I already suggested this a few times, but it's good to see other people are thinking along the same lines as myself ;)

[size=150:22rsbn2i]I'M NOT ALONE!![/size:22rsbn2i]
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 06, 2008 2:19 am

Perhaps it wouldn't be too much to ask for a plugin that can load 3D models (such as md2 files, etc.)? Would that be possible or does that sound pretty unreasonable? I've always wanted to make a 2.5D platform game.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct engineering