Office Pixel Art

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:25 am

the bigger one looks better
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:42 am

Late to the party, but I agree. First is better.
B

Post » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:41 pm

The first one looks more professional for a pixelart.
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:32 pm

Any girl NPC's? It would make it more realistic if there were.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:45 am

Programmer3000 wrote:Any girl NPC's? It would make it more realistic if there were.

Yes, see above
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:21 am

I like the first one. Also, I really like the other characters in the same style :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:11 am

Ninjadoodle wrote:I like the first one. Also, I really like the other characters in the same style :)

Thanks!

Honestly, any type of compliments are motivating at this point. Just a few months ago I was creating things like this: (literally, from 1/26/16)

Just wanted to share that in case anyone else reads this that likes art but doesn't think they are good at it - just keep learning and practicing. I don't think I'm awesome or anything but I went from loathing the art I made to being happy with it in a fairly short time. You can do it!

ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:11 am

Message: MinkDingus can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
I like the 16-bit look for the pixelated smaller sprite also but the bigger sprite has a good look too (kind of modern like a Gen IV Pokemon game). I would add that I think the bigger sprite's walk cycle looks better.

I am completely new to game art as well and I just finished a month+ pixel-art-per-day challenge. I learned a lot but I can't say I'm quite there yet. All that said, there are a bunch of good tutorials online and I really got a lot out of this walk cycle animation tutorial. Check it out.

http://manningkrull.com/pixel-art/walking.php
B
S

Post » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:09 pm

MinkDingus wrote:I like the 16-bit look for the pixelated smaller sprite also but the bigger sprite has a good look too (kind of modern like a Gen IV Pokemon game). I would add that I think the bigger sprite's walk cycle looks better.

I am completely new to game art as well and I just finished a month+ pixel-art-per-day challenge. I learned a lot but I can't say I'm quite there yet. All that said, there are a bunch of good tutorials online and I really got a lot out of this walk cycle animation tutorial. Check it out.

http://manningkrull.com/pixel-art/walking.php

Thank you for your comments. Which walk cycle(s) specifically do you think need improvement?

That is actually the animation tutorial I found most useful as well. I just haven't spent enough time revising the sideways walk cycle and plan on it. I want to keep at 2 frames for now as am planning on having a lot of sprites for NPCs. Though maybe later I will make main character have more frames per animation. Like I mentioned in previous post I am happy with the walking down animation though - I modeled it after taking a look at Earthbound for SNES sprites.

Do you have a link for the pixel art challenge or is that something you did on your own? I have a lot to learn still. I am happy with these sprites at the moment but am struggling with making their environment (indoor/office floor tiles, desks, chairs, computers, coffee machines, copy machines, etc.)
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:03 pm

badmoodtaylor wrote: Thank you for your comments. Which walk cycle(s) specifically do you think need improvement?

That is actually the animation tutorial I found most useful as well. I just haven't spent enough time revising the sideways walk cycle and plan on it. I want to keep at 2 frames for now as am planning on having a lot of sprites for NPCs. Though maybe later I will make main character have more frames per animation. Like I mentioned in previous post I am happy with the walking down animation though - I modeled it after taking a look at Earthbound for SNES sprites.

Do you have a link for the pixel art challenge or is that something you did on your own? I have a lot to learn still. I am happy with these sprites at the moment but am struggling with making their environment (indoor/office floor tiles, desks, chairs, computers, coffee machines, copy machines, etc.)

Well, I'm a noob as well, so please take my CC with a grain of salt. My initial impression was that the left-right cycle and the upwards cycle have opposite problems. On the sideways cycle the arm closer to the viewer doesn't seem to swing enough. In the upward cycle it seems that the arms swing out too much- the hands seem to get too far away from the torso. Again, I'm just a random due so please don't take this as harsh- I like what you've got. When I first looked at the sprites the Earthbound style with those circular cartoon-friendly heads definitely showed through.

As for a place to practice your pixel art- I was publishing on twitter a lot. The account @Pixel_Dailies posts a new theme for people to draw every day and I just published to the spec every day. There is a good community of content creators on there. You can also submit to the pixelart subreddit and I've gotten some helpful and positive feedback from there.

One last note- I know you've been getting a lot of pressure to amp up from these 2 image cycles but I get it. To make a game look good you need hundreds of images with a unified artistic style. Putting in the time to make diverse background imagery and set pieces will probably pay off more in the long run. And hey- If you get completely obsessed and can't stop up dating the game you can go back and move up to 4 image cycles later on down the line.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic