Office Pixel Art

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri May 06, 2016 1:32 am

Meet Tom:
Ah! Tom got bit!

My first attempt today of making one of these guys into a zombie . . . even though wasn't making them for a zombie game :)
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 13, 2016 7:40 pm

@MinkDingus, thanks for the tip on the daily pixel art challenge. Been busy for a while but I started following them a couple days ago and just got done with one. Should help motivate me to practice as I never really know what to practice on. Also helps as its just for fun - no pressure to make it perfect for a game.

EDIT: here's a better one I've done recently, Cheese Nightmare, for Pixel_Dailies challenge of #cheese

(twitter handle LouBagelCombo5)
Last edited by badmoodtaylor on Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Top one,

You just can't beat pixle art!
Image keep updated on my new game: Still Human
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:44 am

Update since people are still voting: Definitely went with the smaller/first, more pixelated one.

Now I'm actually considering whether I want the black outlines or not. I think I do, but I've had some instances where I like them without.

Here are a few that I quickly removed some outlines (would still need some touch ups)

Also, I think image size and background would be a big determining factor, but I probably will go with the outlined ones:
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:01 pm

I'd agree that the outlined ones look better on average, but as you said, it would be worth checking them on different background and at different sizes to confirm that.
Ruby Winds: a top-down adventure game inspired by the Oracle series of Zelda games.
Twitter - Devlog/Site
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi there badmoodtaylor,

I can only give an opinion as a gamer and would say that I personally prefer the sprites on the smaller character. He seems livelier when he moves, reacts instantly when hitting a direction and looks slightly happier about life than the larger character.

Also, the larger character doesn't start moving his legs until you've held the cursor for a while unless you walk up or downwards. While walking downwards, I keep feeling the larger guy is trying to kick me in the nuts. The height of his "kicking" feet feels good moving left and right.

The smaller guy responds with an animation quickly when inputting a direction (except leftwards), making it easier to move him closer to the edge if would need to make a crazy, tight long jump, similarly to those old NES platform games.

Other than that, I really like the design of your characters. For some reason I thought I was going to soon be playing a game with the characters from the TV-series the Office :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:21 pm

Haha, thank you for the response. Your detailed analysis is helpful and parts made me chuckle.

Especially this: :lol:
Apfelguts wrote:While walking downwards, I keep feeling the larger guy is trying to kick me in the nuts. The height of his "kicking" feet feels good moving left and right.

If you read more of this post I have already decided to go with the first one. I guess I should update the initial post to say that. I haven't been working on this lately so keep forgetting.

Apfelguts wrote:Other than that, I really like the design of your characters. For some reason I thought I was going to soon be playing a game with the characters from the TV-series the Office :)

Thank you and I do love The Office tv show and work in an office, not to mention love the movie Office Space as well, so I do want to make games with some office-humor.

I have been working on a practice project similar to Zelda (can see and link in signature - playable) but have been itching to get back to this and around to making some more office themed pixel art. Want to get their environment next: desks, computers, copy machines, break room with table, chairs, microwave, coffee pot - the whole shebang-bang.

First draft of office worker drinking coffee I did just a couple days ago:
(think I need to make his ears move as well as shift the head outline and tilt the cup)
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:50 am

badmoodtaylor wrote:Haha, thank you for the response. Your detailed analysis is helpful and parts made me chuckle.
If you read more of this post I have already decided to go with the first one. I guess I should update the initial post to say that. I haven't been working on this lately so keep forgetting.

Yeah, I did actually read that you decided to go with the small character but wanted to just share my thoughts after testing them out :)

Awesome to hear that you're a major fan of The Office as well as Office Space. Makes me smile knowing that there will be a potential office themed game of some sorts in the near future. I'm still smiling, hehe.
The coffee drinking office worker looks great. Is he perhaps one of your colleagues? Like you said, right now it may look as though he is wearing the hood part of an eskimo coat, haha.

badmoodtaylor wrote:I have been working on a practice project similar to Zelda (can see and link in signature - playable)

When I have time I will have a go at your Zelda inspired game. Did you read the reviews of Mighty Number 9, the spiritual "Megaman/Rockman" style game made by the same creator? Many people complained about the "fun" element missing. Good thing you seem to have your mind set on that aspect when creating your Zelda inspired project :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:09 pm

Quick post to show some of these peeps in action
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:33 am

Dang, your pixel skills are really coming on. :D

I have to ask, what do you use to make your gifs? I've tried a number of solutions and have yet to find anything that comes out the way I want.

Coming soon on Steam!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic